RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working Bulls only

Working Bulls only

This is an attempt at a thread where one can share his or her Positive Taurus Handgun experiences. Save your stories about they are this or that for another time, please.
    Ok here we go.
    I bought my son this PT22 for high school graduation. With CCI ammo it hasn't jammed so that's what it's always had. The DA only trigger challenges pinpoint accuracy for me but it's good enough at 20 feet to put 2 mags in a fist size group. Taurus got this one right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I own 3 Taurus PT92 pistols and they are all utterly reliable. They should be, given the pistol they are based on.
    I like the Taurus safety better than the one on the Beretta 92. It works the same way as my 1911 does so I don't have to think about which pistol is in my hand.
    I did swap out the original barrels for Beretta barrels. These handle cast much better. Accuracy is excellent with them. Simple drop in replacement. No fitting required.
    I also like the fact that I can convert a Beretta 92 mag for use in my Taurus with a few strokes of a file. Makes extras so much cheaper.
    I have a pistol and 2 mags in each area of the house where I spend much time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GUN PICS 12-16 012.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	238200
    My sole Taurus is a pretty fine revolver. It is a Tracker, 4 inch and is brutal with magnum loads, but a real pal with 44 Special loads.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I've both .454 's and a tracker in .41 Mag. You would LOVE it.

Boolit Man
    I have a pt92 that has so many rounds through it I can not imagine, so broken in and smooth it's crazy, great trigger, great gun.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My Rossi 462 is a really nice sixgun for the price. It had a yawning barrel-cylinder gap when I got it. I hadn't heard anything good about TauRossi customer service but figured I would roll the dice and send it back. I was fully expecting them to just say it was in spec. No, they fit a new cylinder and barrel and now it has a snug .003 gap. It is just as accurate as my S&W and Ruger wheelguns and not picky about boolit wieght!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I have yet to shoot a Taurus that hasn't worked well. I've done some work on my 1911 .45, new bushing (to tighten things up a little), a strong side only safety (kept hitting the ambi with my arm when I'd walk), extended slide release (small hands, now I can release the slide without changing my grip), trigger (now has zero take-up and a 1/8" reset), hammer (not a fan of the lock), and grips (they just looked cool and I like wood to be honest). And I'd put her up against anybody's 1911 any day. She was completely reliable before, but that's part of the fun of a 1911, customizing it to be the best for you.

Dad had a model 85 .357 (not pictured) that I carried CCW for a while. Completely reliable and accurate.

Grandpa had a couple Raging Bulls, a .454 and .41 Mag. Both were great guns and super accurate.

PT740 .40S&W Grandpa got as part of trade. I'm not a big .40S&W fan, but it was a good gun when I put it through it's paces.

Brother owns a 24/7 9mm as his CCW, no issues that I know of.

Like I said, I have zero problems or issues with a Taurus and would not hesitate to buy one.

Better keep this thread quiet though, I think the "bad name" is what keeps them fairly cheap, and that works out for us.

Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

I like Taurus, but my experience is dated. Back in the middle '80s I bought a blue 6" Mod. 96, very much like my S&W Mod. 17. The Taurus proved to be the more accurate of the two. Then I bought two Mod. 85's in stainless, 2" .38 Spec. for my wife and daughter. I liked them so much that I bought a 3rd for myself. Lastly, I bought a 5-shot stainless Mod. 442 (?) in .44 Spec. All worked and shot well. But since the 442, about 1991, I've no experience with the newer ones. In the 1980s, as a FFL dealer, I sold many Mod. 66s and 92s, and none of them came back. I know that they subsequently went through a period of poor quality control and customer service, but they seem to have solved their problems, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one today. I'll likely pick up one of their 1911s when one comes along at the right price.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a model 66 7 shot. It shot well but eventually ended up spitting lead and lost time. I'd like to try a 41 Mag Raging Bull. Unfortunately, they are priced more than I'm willing to pay.

Boolit Master
    I too had a Taurus .357 & a 38Sp. for the missus, both blued with 4"bbls, (Don't recall the model specifics) back in the mid 80's. Both have been long gone, but they were pretty nice pieces for the limited amount of shooting we did.

Taught the missus to shoot revolvers with hers & she is/was a crack shot out to 25 yds back then. She was pretty proud of her shooting, but to temper her enthusiasm a bit to keep her from bragging & to tease her, I told her it was unfair to men, because she had a built in set of supports for her arms, while I did not, so no wonder she did so well right off.

No, she did not laugh at that at the time, but since has told it as a joke to others as well, and gets laughs, so she got over it. LOL ... Still, even today, she is a pretty doggone good shot, admittedly.

Anyway, they left us later on when we decided to move back to MN, in 87, and I wish I still had them now.

Anyway, I currently, have had a Taurus PT1911 Govt. .45ACP now for the last couple years & am perfectly satisfied with its' performance. It is accurate enough for "my" current abilities. Since I have had surgeries on both elbows, I am not as good a shot as I once was, but but it & I shoot good enough that I think in the hands of a better shooter, that pistol would likely "shine" in its accuracy.
    Of course, it is not a Colt, or even anything fancier that some might own, but it is a dependable workhorse of a pistol, IMO, and "I" like it, so that is all that matters...

{Note - I carry it often enough as CC, in rotation with others, so that should show how much I have confidence in it being dependable. }

Apparently I missed out, as DG mentioned above, any timeline where Taurus left a bit to be desired in their products, but my experience is a bit of a reflection of his, in that I would not be adverse to getting one today. So, I think I would buy another Taurus if the desire & opportunity presented itself, & the funds were available.

Who's Next?
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I have a number of Taurus revolvers in RF and CF. I've had excellent accuracy and reliability from them. If I find a Rossi Or Taurus in a configuration and or caliber I want, the brand doesn't deter me from the purchase.

A few of mine in .32 calibers:

Model 74 .32 S&W long (sold to a friend a few years ago):

Model 761 .32 H&R mag:

Rossi M293 .32 S&W long:

Taurus Model 741 32 H&R:
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

I have a tracker 357,PT 111, PT 140, PT 92 AND PT 100. I have no complaints. They all have been working very well.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    NoZombies: Apparently you have the only 761 in existence! I have searched several sites for one but can't find one anywhere. I didn't know such a model even existed till I saw your photo. If the price was anywhere near what I could afford, if I found one, it would be coming home to daddy for sure.
    I am keen on the 32 MAG and kick myself, you know where, everytime I think of when I sold my S&W M-16 many years ago. One of the few guns that I am truly sorry I sold.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

I have a SS 4in Model 431 in .44 Special I'm pretty fond of.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have always liked taurus have a 431 ,44 spec and a pt58 380 both are flawless very accurate and dependable have no problem useing ether for carry gun .

In the late 80s I had a m66 Taurus .357that was very nice. My brother came up with a P92 that curiously had one wooden grip panel and one rubber panel and barely any blue left. We shot most of a case of the hot&nasty Egyptian ball ammo in it with no problems. I don't remember where either one got off to, but I wouldn't mind if they showed back up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have had a 3" stainless .44Spl Taurus for many years. It is a fine revolver, accurate and reliable.
    I also owned a blued .357Mag that I traded off. It was horribly inaccurate and spit lead. Only had it a few weeks.

So...50/50 on Taurus for me.

This one has been trouble free and bouncing around with me in an ankle holster since 1984.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rkrcpa View Post
    This one has been trouble free and bouncing around with me in an ankle holster since 1984.

Classy

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I have a number of Taurus revolvers in RF and CF. I've had excellent accuracy and reliability from them. If I find a Rossi Or Taurus in a configuration and or caliber I want, the brand doesn't deter me from the purchase.

A few of mine in .32 calibers:

Model 74 .32 S&W long (sold to a friend a few years ago):

Model 761 .32 H&R mag:

Rossi M293 .32 S&W long:

Taurus Model 741 32 H&R:
    I had the top one years ago. My grip said "Spesco" on it. I think it was an importer. I never even shot it I sold it to WallaceM (member here) and he sold it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast