RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question on ArmorAll wax and shine

Boolit Master

A question on ArmorAll wax and shine

On the tarnished case thread the ArmorAll wax was recommended , is this the correct product ? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55CA4C78-8F0C-4772-9DE8-E3D211B40D9B.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	238185
    Another question is do I add this to the tumbler with the Frankfort Arsenal cleaning solution befor tumbling or add to a final bucket of water after washing the soapy water from the cleaned brass ?
    Or does it matter ? Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    That's what I use along with citric acid I only used the free Frankford Arsenal cleaner till it was gone.I just use it in the tumbler rinse with plain water.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly501 View Post
    That's what I use along with citric acid I only used the free Frankford Arsenal cleaner till it was gone.I just use it in the tumbler rinse with plain water.
    Thanks for the information.

In my experience, you should use cold water when using the wash & wax. Hot water seems to wash it off and I had problems with the brass tarnishing over time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PJEagle View Post
    In my experience, you should use cold water when using the wash & wax. Hot water seems to wash it off and I had problems with the brass tarnishing over time.
    Thanks , I would have used hot.

Boolit Grand Master

You want to use enough to have suds in the drum when it quits tumbling and you open it. In a 15# drum I use 1 cap full.

Boolit Master
    I don't like suds while tumbling and use other stuff besides dawn, either liquid laundry soap, dishwasher soap, simple green, anything that will not suds/foam while tumbling.
    I have an amount of Armorall wash/wax and water mix that I use as a final (3rd) rinse, not for tumbling, and use it over and over.
    This may not be optimal for others, just the way I do it, and I'm happy with the results.
    whew, posted in yet another wet tumbling thread, so many,

edit: I have found that the pins get suspended in the foam/suds and escape easier. jmo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    I don't like suds while tumbling and use other stuff besides dawn, either liquid laundry soap, dishwasher soap, simple green, anything that will not suds/foam while tumbling.
    I have an amount of Armorall wash/wax and water that I use as a final (3rd) rinse, not for tumbling, and use it over and over.
    This may not be optimal for others, just the way I do it, and I'm happy with the results.
    whew, posted in yet another wet tumbling thread, so many,
    Do you think it would work as well to put the cleaned and rinsed brass in a gallon bucket of water and ultra shine and swish it around a few minutes?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Do you think it would work as well to put the cleaned and rinsed brass in a gallon bucket of water and ultra shine and swish it around a few minutes?
    Yes, that's kinda what I do, along with pouring the mix back into a jug via a funnel, to use again.
    I bought a wire waste basket at the dollar store that works great for stuff like this as well as rinsing.
    Brass in wire basket, dip it into a bucket of rinse water, move it up/down, pull the wire basket/brass out, change the water...repeat.

edit: oh, and that wire basket cost, wait for it... a dollar

and buy some $1 buckets while you are at the dollar store.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 03-18-2019 at 05:51 PM.

There are as many wet tumbling recipes/formulas as there are wet tumblers: everyone has their particular practices that work well for them. After wet tumbling for quite a few years now, my personal practice is to keep it as simple as possible while still getting "jewelry"- like results. Here's my practice using a Thumlers high-speed drum tumbler:

1. Cover the brass in the drum with cold water and go a few inches over,

2. Add one ounce of auto wash and wax (I've used them all, and all brands work about the same for me) and add 1/4 TSP of Lemi-Shine (or add citric acid, if you prefer),

3. Tumble for your desired time, rinse and dry.

Typical results:

Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post
    There are as many wet tumbling recipes/formulas as there are wet tumblers: everyone has their particular practices that work well for them. After wet tumbling for quite a few years now, my personal practice is to keep it as simple as possible while still getting "jewelry"- like results. Here's my practice using a Thumlers high-speed drum tumbler:

2. Add one ounce of auto wash and wax (I've used them all, and all brands work about the same for me) and add 1/4 TSP of Lemi-Shine (or add citric acid, if you prefer),

Typical results:

Thanks , in the past I have always rinsed with the hottest water I could thinking if the brass was hot it would dry more quickly but some think the wax works better with cold so I will give cold a shot and see if I can tell the difference.
    I have been using rainX wash and wax (it has little silver beads in it , to much turns nickel cases a strange color) I am always looking for a better plan.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou52 View Post

Typical results:

You guys have too shiny brass...

^^^Thanks for the compliment, Sir!
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Buddy
    Bayou52 has the trick. I need to add a little more LemiShine due to hard water. Cold water, suds on emptying means you used enough Wash Wax! Just watch out for steel cases that my slip through. Pretty in pink!

I had been tumbling 3 to 4 hours with a little squirt of dawn and a 1/4 teaspoon of lemonshine (soft water from a well) and then rinsing them in the tumbler, stirring the cases by hand and getting all the dirty wash water out to as clear as I could...then dumping it all in this rotary separator over a clean bucket of cold tap water with a little squirt of armorall wash/wax and getting so so results. They didn't tarnish over time in storage but they dulled. Didn't understand that?

Day before yesterday I tried a little squirt of Dawn and a 'little pinch'<(maybe about as much salt as you might sprinkle on your fries) of lemonshine and put the armorall in with the wash water instead of the rinse. They seem to come out brighter after only 2 hours of tumbling...still don't understand why but it's quicker. Guess I'll have to wait on whether or not they tarnish or dull while these go into storage for a while.

I have 3 large jars full of these PMC cases that I've been rotating one after another into the loading for practice schedule, that's why they have time in storage and I have noticed the dulling.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    This bag on thee left was done about 2 weeks ago the one on the right about 5 months ago .
    I hope the armorAll. Will slow down the tarnish they sure is purdy when fresh.
    But they shot just as good when I just rinsed out what I could in soapy water dried and loaded befor I discovered my first rock tumbler.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9B1FDCE7-4D50-487E-90C1-9E2C99A4B295.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	238315

Boolit Buddy
    I'm fairly new to wet tumbling but am getting excellent results using the HF double unit. I've tweaked the process to using about 1/8 tsp of Guntap's brass cleaner ( came with the ss pins) and about 1/2 tsp of Armour All wash and wax, warm (not hot) water and tumble for 3 1/2 hours. Cold water rinse, towel dry. Case sizing goes very effortlessly with the wax vs using Dawn as some use. Small batches, but that's all I need right now.

Those are some pretty brasses, Guys!
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Banned
    So you are not using the SS pins at all ?

Boolit Master
    Mm
    Quote Originally Posted by WehrmannsGeweher View Post
    So you are not using the SS pins at all ?
    If you are asking me , I use stainless pins in the Frankford Arsenal tumbler or walnut in Lyman vibrating cleaner , for the first 10 years or so just soapy water in a bucket then a rock tumbler with corn cob that took about 12. Hrs to clean 200 cases , the pins are a whole new level of clean compared to any thing else I have used not nesecary but nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast