Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: New to me (armi sharps)

Boolit Bub

New to me (armi sharps)

Yesterday, I made a trade at my lgs. for an armi sporting 1874 sharps in 45/70. It has a 32in, octagon deep blued barrel.
    The action,lever,patch box, and butt plate looks like stainless. It has double set triggers and the forend does not have a cap.
    It is like new and shot very little.

My question is, what do I have, Taylor & Co. Inc. on top flat. It came with the box but no papers.

I plan on calling Taylor tomorrow and see if I can get the paperwork on it.

Thanks, Bill

Boolit Master
    I have one. Never had any trouble with mine and it shoots great.

Boolit Bub
    The front sight has been changed to a lyman globe , but the original sight was in the box, I will
    probably change it back. I am not too fond of the ladder sight either. This is stainless? (right)

I will probably shoot it first and if it does good, I will start fitting it to my taste.

Boolit Master
    The armisports are good rifles and its not stainless just regular steel with a high polish.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe that finish is referred to as French gray and its a plating done on the carbon steel.

Boolit Master
    That's it county gent I couldn't think of the correct name for the finish thanks.

Boolit Master
    French Grey is not a plating, it is a process of polishing, then etching with an acid to make a dull grey finish, similar to vintage coin silver finish. I have done several rifles, Win 94 actions, and several older double barrel shotgun actions. To do this, I polish the part I am going to etch, then put on a heavy coat of Brownells rust and blue remover, let sit till the desired color is obtained, then rinse off and kill the acid with a baking soda warm water rinse, scrubbing all the pores with a nylon bristle brush or a stiff tooth brush. Then dry with a hair dryer till completely dry, and I usually spray with a matte clear finish, such as Brownells offers, Aluma hyde 2. This will be very durable for several years. I think the finish on these guns may be high polished nickel. It looks nice whatever it is.

Boolit Bub
    koger maybe right on the nickel finish. I called Taylor today and the rep could not tell me what the finish was.
    He has only worked there for a couple of years and this gun came through prior to that and it is not offered at this time.
    to be safe, I ordered the owners manual and two old style firing pins.

Boolit Grand Master

It looks nice and I see it used alit to help make engravings and stamped art show up better or accent it. On these rifles I prefer the case hardened finish for tradition and looks if its done right. On fine hand engraved surfaces bluing may hide some of the shading cuts and case hardening with the colors take attention away from the engraving.