Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The siren calls.....Ruger SBH 44

Boolit Buddy

The siren calls.....Ruger SBH 44

Years ago, I got out of boot camp..and bought my first real pistol. a Ruger SBH in 44 magnum, 7 1/2 barrel. A beast of an unfluted cylinder...a beautiful blued behemoth.
    Shot the hell out of it, lugged it everywhere, even sectioning the AT.
    yes, its helps that I was young and stupid.

So stupid...….years later I sold it.

BUT now, I have a chance to reacquire it...the same **** gun.

While its not the most practical purchase from a "survival/****/EOTWAWKI" perspective....I think its a great gun. in the intervening years ive started reloading heavily..including 44 mag. Still have a great stash of 44 stuff from the days when I toted a redhawk everywhere.

Only thing that will change is im going to cast a lot of boolits for it, load it light for my son to shoot.

I can see it becoming a truck gun.

Anyone else love one of these old 44s?

Boolit Man
    formaly Blaine, Wa. now in Los Lunas N.M.
    Do it !!!!!!!!!!!! And yes !

Boolit Man
    Some things are just meant to be

Boolit Master
    I had two, one with a 10 inch barrel and later one a bit more reasonable, stainless steel with a fluted cylinder with a 6 inch ( I think ) which I carried for years and shot my first handgun deer with. But I sold it to get a SRH and don't regret it.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Man
    I have the same gun, one of my favorites.

Boolit Grand Master

My first .44 Magnum (Super Blackhawk) was acquired many, many years ago in a gun trade. It was one of the first 5000 made. For years it was the most accurate handgun off a bench at 100 yards in our gun club. I still have it and it's a dandy. It shows honest wear but it brings a smile to my face everytime I see it.

FWIW
    Dale53

I love em to inherited one from my dad couple years ago my second fave of the bunch and tuff as nails

Boolit Master
    I've had a new model SBH since the mid 1970's, a good deal of the blueing is rubbed off from holster wear, it gets prettier every day. (And the triggerguard still bites the dickens out of my middle finger if I'm not careful.) I put a set of after-market Hogue grips on it, it was sure easy to shoot, but me and the revolver couldn't stand the ugly. Took them off the same afternoon.
    Don't pass up the chance to get your revolver back.

Boolit Master

My first pistol purchase, maybe in 76. Shot mucho IHMSA laying on my back with that cannon. Watching those big slugs arching toward the rams through the spotting scope was cool.

Alas poor Yorick. I sold him well.

Still got the old Ruger flap holster. Trying to decide to sell the holster or buy a gun.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Never sell a gun that shoot well for you. If you do sell it get it back. Been there done that no regrets.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I have two SBH revolvers. The one I bought used now has a red dot sight, the one I bought from my FIL's widow is iron-sighted. Both shoot 245 gr cast SWC bullets very well and I know the one with the red dot also shoots Lee 310 gr SWC bullets well. 2400 is my powder of choice.

Boolit Master
    Where were you and your advice when I was young and much dumber?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    That is exactly my first handgun. Bought it at a pawn shop and couldn't take it home until my dad had time to sign for it (I wasn't old enough). I would pay almost any amount to have that gun back. Buy it now !!

Boolit Buddy

Norske, funny you mentioned that, I was thinking a red dot was in order too. What did you mount, and how?

C-Dubb that sounds familiar! my dad had to be with me as well. I think I was 19.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
    Norske, funny you mentioned that, I was thinking a red dot was in order too. What did you mount, and how?

C-Dubb that sounds familiar! my dad had to be with me as well. I think I was 19.
    Yup, I was 19, just married, and in college.

Boolit Man
    Wait, I want to get this right... The very same gun you owned, you can buy back? I've heard of people getting back the same car they sold, but this? Hell yeah get it back!!!

My plan is to keep any gun I buy. My son asks why I keep buying the same gun. 45, 44 Mag, 480, 357, etc. Not the same guns but I suppose they look the same. I always tell him, what do you care, some day they will be yours.

GET THAT GUN BACK!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    My first pistol purchase, maybe in 76. Shot mucho IHMSA laying on my back with that cannon. Watching those big slugs arching toward the rams through the spotting scope was cool.

Alas poor Yorick. I sold him well.

Still got the old Ruger flap holster. Trying to decide to sell the holster or buy a gun.

You want my advise? NOBODY wants to buy an old flap holster

Boolit Buddy

Have it on loan right now. I sold it to a relative, so I will get to play with it a bit.
    Made an offer, with visitation rights, we'll see if the old girl comes home again to stay.
    The more I handle this gun, the more I love it all over again. Need to get a 357 too.
    I think these are some of the best tools to have in a long term societal downfall. Plus they are great pleasure to own, shoot, and load for.

Boolit Grand Master

My first pistol purchase, too. Bought that and my Convertable Single Six the same day. Was in Grad School - and had LOML's permisson (she was earning the money then). Still have both of them. And will be celebrating 44 years with LOML in June!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

In the 80's, Dad had a scoped Redhawk that I enjoyed shooting, but I was a 1911 purist at the time and had yet to develop an ability or use for a DA trigger.

When Ruger introduced the SBH Hunter in '93, it was as if the Heavens parted and the wheelgun of my dreams fell before me. Perfect styling - no cylinder flutes; the roll-engraved ".44 Remington Magnum" spelled out on the cylinder; the gray-green laminate grips; the heavy scope rib to keep recoil down. Yes I WAS the first kid on my block to have one.

Have since learned to run DAO very well, and have decided that hunting with a handgun as the primary arm isn't my thing. . .but the Blackhawk isn't going ANYWHERE. Just too darn sexy!
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast