Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Range report for my new 27-2

Boolit Master

Range report for my new 27-2

Finally got around to writing up a range report for my new Smith 27-2 I posted about a week ago. In my initial range session, I ended up shearing the rear sight windage screw. The screw was rusted onto the sight slide, and when I tried to move it right, it snapped. While I am waiting for the parts to fix my rear sight, I snagged the rear sight off of my 24-3 so I could play with the new toy.

Before you ask, yes there are some .22 holes in the targets. I'm frugal and eco friendly, so I recycle rimfire targets.

Here is the gun, in case you forgot

I was shooting .38 wadcutter loads. Most of todays shooting was on the 50 foot indoor range. Here is a bench group after I got her dialed in. As you can see she was initially hitting low (pasted holes.)

Then here are my first 10 shots fired like a man (standing, 1 handed " NRA bullseye" style)

Finally, I did go outside briefly (still a bit chilly up here) and shot at 25 yards. Here are my first 5, bullseye style. Sorry, I yanked the 3rd shot low

I'm very pleased. This is about as well as I shoot.

One final note, even though I had posted pics of her wearing Cokes I swiped off my pre 29, I found a grip adapter I forgot I had so I put the factory magnas back on. I think I like how it feels.

Boolit Master

One of the things that I remember about the Police Officers in our town during the early 50's was that nearly every one of them carried eith a S&W or Colt .38 Special and nearly every one of them had the grip adapters on their revolvers. I had a pair for years and I finally sold them, mistake. I like their looks, james

Boolit Master
    Saw it, loved it. Did you notice the 8" version at the show today? $1227 or so was rich.

You know me, l know you...sounds like song from Barney...

Boolit Master

Bruce? I see you just joined, this is a great forum. Lots of very smart people post things here. It will change the way you look at cast boolits. A lot of conventional wisdom gets disproven here. There are people here that have forgotten more about casting than we will ever know.

Yeah, ironic that I spend 2 yrs looking for an 8 3/8 incher, then two weeks after I buy the 6 incher one turns up...

I agree, that gun was about $400 overpriced. Non factory grips, and did you notice it was Magna ported? I didn't till I picked it up.

Boolit Buddy

Love the 27 Smith. Ours is well made and very smooth action. I chuckled about the 22 holes. I do the same thing with my Bullseye practice targets. Shoot a 22 round and then center fire on the same targets to get my money's worth!

Boolit Master
    You'll like that Model 27! They are really nice revolvers.

Boolit Master
    Looks like you have her dialed in.