Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 RF prices coming down

Boolit Master

Talking 22 RF prices coming down

I recently bought Remington Thunderbolt 500 bulk pack ammo at Walmart in South Florida for $14.58 plus 7% tax. That brings the cost to just over .03 cents per round. Not bad compared to
    what it's been not that long ago. I only bought 1 carton to compare performance to the same brand I've tried in the past. Numerous misfires and wide velocity swings were common. I shot maybe 50 rounds of the new and haven't had any misfires so far, but that isn't enough to say there's a real improvement. I'll finish out the carton and keep track of any misfires or blippers. The Federal 550 bulk pack ammo was still the same as a year ago @ $19.94 plus tax.

D

Boolit Master

I have seen those 22 thunderbolts for less than $15 per 500 locally here also
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

murdoch's had them on sale here for 12.99, bought a few for the stash.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Federal American Eagle has been on sale around here for about $18/500. Aguila is about $20/500 and Blazer is about $22-24/500. I don’t buy anything Remington but it is significantly cheaper than even the Federal.

Boolit Master
    Prices have come down here but not many options. I wouldn't shoot that Remington Thunder Dud ammo if it was anything more than free. It's so inconsistent. I get a bunch of miss fires and FTE with it.

Boolit Master

Thunder bolts are the only ammo my wife savage semi-auto will run good on. I was chronographing some golden bullets. They were very inconsistent. I was disappointed.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Seems like there are large lot to lot variances within each brand. A few months ago, we had a bucket of Golden Bullets that wouldn't run for anything in Ruger MIII and 22/45. Saturday, my buddy had a box of Federal, usually reliable for me, that wouldn't run in our Marlin 60s, but a box of Golden Bullets ran fine. Go figure. In both cases, it seemed like there were a lot of oversized cartridges. I would have guessed dirty chambers might be at fault, but switching brands solved the problem immediately.
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 03-19-2019 at 07:38 AM.

Now is the time to stock up before the 2020 craziness begins.

Boolit Master

Yeah i had 22's left over from the last ammo ''shortage''. I have about 6k on hand now. Im good. Don't shoot the 22's much since i started reloading. I still have 22 mags from then lol,
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Running CPL classes here in MI we run through lots of ammo ,mostly rimfire for those with no
    Shooting experience; the Remington brand has been disgraceful for the last few years; as mentioned lots of duds, hang fires, dirty and inconsistent with the occasional squib. I did how ever come into some golden bullet Remington in the 100 round plastic boxes and it’s much more consistent and cleaner burning than the same bullet out of the buckets- been through 300 so far with nary a stinker .
    The Federal bulk pack I agree seems to be the best running and most consistent of the bulk packs- and the blue box federal bulk pack seems even better than the red and as far as I can tell they are the same loading just one is a 525 and one is 550. Just my observations from a fellow who burns through several thousand a year .

I folded in 92 and kept all the 22 ammo. All ammo was in bricks and some 100pks. The low end ammo that is the main complaint now were good ammo before the panick. I've still got cases of Thunderbolts, Cyclones and
    Wildcats and they have virtually no misfires. The Wildcats do have erratic powder charges and were only one that I avoid using. I let the kids plink them up on cans and such. Federal Lightnings and CCI Blazer I've never had issues with.

Boolit Grand Master
    I sold a lot of my stash for $55 a brick during the shortage. Still have a lot left but will likely add another 5-10k for the next shortage.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Good idea Don. Make some money on it. Im gamed.
    One round at a time.

I see a lot of complaints about Thunderbolt ammunition. In rifles and semi-auto pistols I could maybe see a problem.
    I use it in my S&W 617 where it works fine for practice. It isn't the most accurate ammunition for this revolver but is adequate. At pistol ranges, it is accurate enough, even with the inconsistencies.
    I haven't experienced the misfires people report.

Boolit Master
    Brick of Thunderbolts at Big R in Canon City today was $33.99.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Prices have come down here but not many options. I wouldn't shoot that Remington Thunder Dud ammo if it was anything more than free. It's so inconsistent. I get a bunch of miss fires and FTE with it.
    They must have improved with their recent ammo, because I bought some of the same ammo as the OP, for the same price (except no sales tax here in Oregon). My son burned through an entire box of 500 rounds in his new 10/22. We had exactly zero misfires, and one jam as the gun got dirty. Accuracy was plenty acceptable for the plinking we were doing, but when I tried it out for serious accuracy it was nothing to brag about.

I was impressed with it, for cheapo Thunderbolts. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and they’re getting their stuff figured out, because it’s pretty discouraging to go to the range for an afternoon of shooting, and have to deal with a bunch of jams and duds.

The Remington I've used has been junk. No savings if 2 or 3 percent are duds.

Boolit Master

Priced the Remington Tbolts here in Michigan at the local Wally store and they have jumped back to $21.97 for the 500 round bulk pack. They were $16.97 at WallyWorld in Florida just a couple weeks ago up from $14.58 a couple months ago. Fed 550 bulk packs are still @$19.94 here. They run good for me in everything I have.

Boolit Buddy
    Murdoch's has the best ammo prices I have found. Hardley ever go into one of them that I do not buy some caliber.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Recently got a case of CCI Blazer in five hundred round bricks for just under two hundred bucks .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast