Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Hornady casefeeder fix

Boolit Mold

Hornady casefeeder fix

I was having trouble with cases locking up my Hornady case feeder. This was in 45 acp, 38 special, and not as much in 223/556. It was very annoying.

I tried a few fixes I found on the net. None were really satisfactory.

Tried to make a delrin insert between the hopper case and the shell plate. Too much trouble when the band saw blade broke.

I put a coil spring in the gap, just large enough to fill the first lace the cases hung up. The cases hung on the coils. Added heat shrink tubing, issue solved. Worked very well, but not perfect. Cases still rode up and got in the wider gap, binding up. Added another wider spring, with heat shrink tubing. Not perfect but much better. Just one hang up in 500 38 specials.

I drilled a hole for each end of the springs so the spring is humped up in the gap and used multiple layers of heat shrink to secure the spring in the hole.

Boolit Master

There are dozens of fixes for the casefeeder. I have a couple on mine. The best fix would be a refund from Hornady until they incorporate all of them. Don't know about you but I have to LNL's side by side; one with case feeder and one without. I can outrun the one with the case feeder by feeding the cases by hand.

Boolit Mold
    This was the only real problem I had with my case feeder. It runs 223/556, 45 acp, 45 colt, 380, and 38/357 nicely now. Sorry your experience is different.

Banned

ive got two of them. Struggle with them about every time I use them. One is most casefeeder problems then other is case feeder and it constantly needs the timing adjusted. Primer screw up? my 550 I can pull the whole unit off without loosing a primer. LNL good luck with that! When they work they crank out a lot of ammo fast but to be honest if I factored in all the fooling around I could probably in a 4 hour period make as much on my 550. Many times have gotten frustrated enough to just feed them by hand. ONLY ONE real cure. Sell it and buy a 650.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    My son and I run two Hornady LnLs, one is set up for large primer and one for small primer. The one with large primer has a case feeder the small primer unit does not.
    We have a few annoying issues with the case feeder when running .45ACP. Nothing terrible, just an occasional piece of brass hanging up on the shell plate. We think our issue is traceable to trying to put too many cases in the hopper at one time. Still my son was able to run about 350 rounds through it Saturday evening in an hour or so even with a couple of stoppages due to that issue.

Boolit Mold
    I must be lucky, I have not had to adjust the timing on my LnL in about 10000 shells.

The only case feeder issues I have had are the cases hanging the plate up. The brass getting in the wide area between the plate and the housing or intermittently in the drop window. fixing the issue between the plate and the housing wiped the second issue completely out.

I used to have a 1050 that I loaded 357 on with some friends who were training to be peace officers. It ran a little bit better, but not much. But, then for the added dollars it should have, and that was 1986-1991. I think I gave about 1250 dollars for that machine back then. I do not regret selling it in any way. The guy who bought it still has it and has sent it back to be worked on three times, something I have never done with my LNL.

Boolit Master

I have ran about 68,000 threw the LNL case feeder but it should still work better out of the box. My 550 never had a case feeder.

Banned

my first lnl has never needed timing adjusted. the second one I bought needs it about every time I use it. Case feeder on both are in need of constant tweeking. Cases stuck in the case feeder stalling it or pushing them under the plate are about constant no matter how you have the thing adjusted. Especially with rifle cases. Happens so often that it actually burned the motor up in one of mine and the shell plate got rounded off where it engages that roll pin (cheap set up) from getting jammed and jumping up. then every time that happens you get cases under the plate and have to shut down empty the hopper and put the plate back. Good thing is I called Hornady and they sent me a whole new case feeder assembly and shell plate. they didn't even wait for me to mail back the old one. They told me to just use the box it came in to return the old one at my leisure. Big difference between a lnl case feeder and a Dillon is the 650 was designed right from the git go to have a case feeder. The lock and loaded wasn't and its more of an add on. I could live with its other idiosyncracys like occasioanal primer problems those case retainer springs getting damaged and the poor ejection of some caliber cases and even the timming issues if the case feeder worked as well as the dillons but truth be told I made a mistake buying them. I should have know better. I lost all my loading gear in a fire and knew I wanted a couple progressives and the hornadys were cheaper by a bit and especially because at that time they were giving a 1000 bullets with the purchase. Well the 2000 bullets are long gone and the presses are still there. Thank God I have my 550. Its like therapy after running the lnls a few days. Its like the energizer bunny. It keeps going and going. Had a second 550 and got talked out of it. Wish I could find someone local that would swap one of those lnls case feeder and all for another 550.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blooch58 View Post
    I must be lucky, I have not had to adjust the timing on my LnL in about 10000 shells.

The only case feeder issues I have had are the cases hanging the plate up. The brass getting in the wide area between the plate and the housing or intermittently in the drop window. fixing the issue between the plate and the housing wiped the second issue completely out.

I used to have a 1050 that I loaded 357 on with some friends who were training to be peace officers. It ran a little bit better, but not much. But, then for the added dollars it should have, and that was 1986-1991. I think I gave about 1250 dollars for that machine back then. I do not regret selling it in any way. The guy who bought it still has it and has sent it back to be worked on three times, something I have never done with my LNL.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive got two of them. Struggle with them about every time I use them. One is most casefeeder problems then other is case feeder and it constantly needs the timing adjusted. Primer screw up? my 550 I can pull the whole unit off without loosing a primer. LNL good luck with that! When they work they crank out a lot of ammo fast but to be honest if I factored in all the fooling around I could probably in a 4 hour period make as much on my 550. Many times have gotten frustrated enough to just feed them by hand. ONLY ONE real cure. Sell it and buy a 650.
    It doesn't stop there. You then purchase all the little tweek parts for the 650. The final stage is you purchase a Mark 7 to automate it. Currently ready to buy the Mark 7.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34111595-BB10-46F0-B243-9F2F6C01A0E9.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	238686Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B467257-8C4F-4ADC-98FE-4168359979F3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	238685
    I made one in the garage one weekend that seems to work better then the $400. One they sell.
    A rotisserie motor has a good RPM for its purpose.
    Sorry about th sideways pics. Man if I turn them sideways in my library, they would be side up when I post them.