Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: New RUGER followed me home

Boolit Bub

New RUGER followed me home

Yesterday, DICK'S had their RUGER 10-22 rifles on sale for $199.00 and I couldn't pass this one up. I've been hearing great things about the 10-22 for many years. The Salesman told me that his shoots FEDERAL 22 ammo best of all. Maybe next weekend I'll have time to try it out.

This scope was mounted to my 12 gauge slug gun for many years and proved to be sturdy while holding its zero despite heavy recoil. I removed the scope and mounted it to my new Ruger. It is a TASCO from the early 1990's featuring 4X and long eye relief.

Anyone else have stories to share about their Ruger 10-22 rifles?

TR

Boolit Master

probably should have left out the part about buying it at dicks, that store aint to well liked in the gun community, other than that and the fact that the mags are so bloody expensive they are fun to shoot.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I have had one for over 30yrs left it with a buddy so went a got another. I love them. It's my go to small game rifle. Before the Ar platform they were the most modified guns. Plenty of things to do aftermarket. My newer one I did some DIY internet gun smithing. JB Weld trigger job, polished the trigger & bolt installed a nylon/polyurethane buffer. Free floated the barrel. These can all be done for free to about $15 or you could spent hundred$ of dollars. I also installed a rubber butt extension works for 10/22& mini 14 https://www.amazon.com/RECOIL-BUTT-C.../dp/B0032ZFZAU Mine doesn't like Remington Thunder Duds or other very cheap ammo it doesn't always cycle the bolt. I hunt with CCI Stingers. I have a wide angle 2-7 scope on mine. The gun will never let you down. Good Luck
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 03-17-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    probably should have left out the part about buying it at dicks, that store aint to well liked in the gun community, other than that and the fact that the mags are so bloody expensive they are fun to shoot.
    big amen to that!

Moderator Emeritus

The Ruger 10/22 is indeed a great firearm! And, one which "the sky's the limit" with that which you can purchase/put into it, to "make it better". *MY* only "dis-like" is the opaque, black rotary magazine which -- by being black -- obviously makes it impossible to visually see how many rounds remain. I "found" CLEAR magazines -- and here's a site purveying them. (I never dealt with this seller, and paid much less for mine, years back) https://vitalarms.com/ruger-magazine...waAuOVEALw_wcB
    Imho, the clear magazine might be something worth looking into?
    Congrats on your purchase, and best wishes to you and your new .22!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I like 1022s, and own 4 including a Charger. None are strictly stock but I have no more than 300 and any one of them, all up. They are a solid design with room for improvement due to the pricepoint. Mostly that involves judicious work to the trigger and bedding. The chamber is cut deep and generous so aftermarket barrels are an easy accuracy upgrade. .094removed from the breech and shoulder will get you about the same result as most replacement barrels, better than some. That said, they are fine as issued and meet MANY shooters needs just fine. Been doing that since 1964 too! If the tried to build them as target rifles, folks would still strip them for the reciever, cause they can, and they would cost lots more! I like the clear mags as well, seem to be available about 15$ on a quick search. I still have and use my 2 black ones from over 40 years ago. Need disassembled and cleaned occasionally but they last forever. I bought a BX25 when they came out, 1 was plenty. It feeds ammo just fine, I just find it in the way constantly. I don’t like any magazine sticking way out from the rifle, besides the limit on squirrels is 10, that’s why the standard mag holds 10

Shoot it and enjoy
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    All my input is is that a Kidd trigger group set at 2# is a fansastic improvement over factory slop
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master

I been waiting on them to have them on sale for 199.00 again. But im tight this month. There will be more sales.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.