Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC9S

Boolit Master

Ruger LC9S

Shot one yesterday for the first time. I was very impressed. I liked it much better than the Glock 43 I shot a while back. Trigger break was awesome and recoil seemed to be managed better than the Glock, much less "snappy" feeling. Without trying too hard I was able to put 7 in an inch and a half at 21 feet. I was hitting slightly right of center, but nothing to worry about in CC piece. A good holster would be essential, no way I would put one in my pocket with a round chambered. Looks like the run around $300, but go on special occasionally for closer to $200. I'll have to keep an eye out...
    Last edited by Silvercreek Farmer; 03-17-2019 at 10:05 AM.

We have one and it shoots boolits very well with no leading. I had to build p the front sight with JB weld to get on at 25 yards. Ours is used for a "walk around the farm" gun so I wanted to shoot a bit further than most cc pistols are regulated for.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

I have a few LC9s Pros
    Too many. Lets just say I made a deal.
    Best trigger in its class
    Bet your life reliable, eats everything
    Easy take down
    Accurate
    17 ounces and 9 round mags if you want them
    Highly recommended

Boolit Master
    Yep,, for the money,,, well worth it! I own a pair myself.

Boolit Master
    Really like my LC9s Pro. Very accurate and 100% reliable. I do use Israeli carry in my pocket.

Boolit Master
    Best trigger on a gun of that size, period. I love mine. Got a steal on GunBroker, $215. I just dropped a $225 max bid on a few auctions and hit one. Almost ended up with two but got outbid with minutes left.

Boolit Master
    My LC9s Pro is my carry pistol, and I'm not one to like striker fired pistols. But the trigger pull is excellent, and there is no safety to worry with.
    The first time I went to the Russell County Sheriff's range the deputies kept a close eye on me, and asked me to go through an easy drill, at ( to me ) a very close range. First was a magazine as close to the X ring as I could. They were all in The 10 or 9 ring. Next was 4 to the X and the balance to the head. I understand their curiosity, as they had never seen me. I did as asked, and by the time was up and the range was to be shut down I was shooting the deputy's firearms. I passed the test and they are relaxed with me there now.
    I'd been shooting that pistol at an indoor range for about a year prior to my trip to the RCSO range. And it sure is a good one!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Only downside I see to them, is Ruger has habit of making good guns walk the plank in favor of new ones as soon as they get all the bugs worked out. There are two tiers of products with Ruger. First are the products that have been around forever and aren't going anywhere: 10/22, single actions, GP-100, and so on. The centerfire auto pistols are clearly second tier. They are not enshrined in company tradition and Ruger can and will drop them in favor of something else when they see fit. They dropped the long serving P series in favor of the SR's. Now that the SR's have mostly gotten their problems sorted out and everyone is happy, they get thrown from the train in favor of the American pistol series.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned

not a big ruger black pistol fan. I do think my two lcps were a great bang for the buck. I needed a 9 for my wife a while back when she got her ccw permit. I was going to give her my 43 but she just couldn't handle the trigger pull. Took her to the gunshop (it has a range and lets you actually try a gun before you buy it) she tried a few different 9s and picked a lc9s in muddy girl camo. I shook my head because I think she got it mostly for that gaudy paint job but she said of all the guns there it fit her hand the best and had the best trigger. Her targets did show she shot it better. One day last summer I was heading out shooting and figured id give it a try. I shot over 500 rounds of cast bullets through it and some were even that pointy little 105 lee and the thing never missed a beat. I keep thinking maybe one of those cheap fixed sighted ones might be worth grabbing just for the heck of it. Ive seen them under 300 bucks. Heck of a lot of gun for that money.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Shot one yesterday for the first time. I was very impressed. I liked it much better than the Glock 43 I shot a while back. Trigger break was awesome and recoil seemed to be managed better than the Glock, much less "snappy" feeling. Without trying too hard I was able to put 7 in an inch and a half at 21 feet. I was hitting slightly right of center, but nothing to worry about in CC piece. A good holster would be essential, no way I would put one in my pocket with a round chambered. Looks like the run around $300, but go on special occasionally for closer to $200. I'll have to keep an eye out...
    I have had the LC9ProS for a long time and carry it almost every day. For me it is perfect and runs flawlessly. I use two holsters for that gun: 1. De Santis V5 (pocket holster); 2. Azula IWB. Both are great and comfortable. You are right to always carry that pistol in a holster. Good luck brother! Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    not a big ruger black pistol fan. I do think my two lcps were a great bang for the buck. I needed a 9 for my wife a while back when she got her ccw permit. I was going to give her my 43 but she just couldn't handle the trigger pull. Took her to the gunshop (it has a range and lets you actually try a gun before you buy it) she tried a few different 9s and picked a lc9s in muddy girl camo. I shook my head because I think she got it mostly for that gaudy paint job but she said of all the guns there it fit her hand the best and had the best trigger. Her targets did show she shot it better. One day last summer I was heading out shooting and figured id give it a try. I shot over 500 rounds of cast bullets through it and some were even that pointy little 105 lee and the thing never missed a beat. I keep thinking maybe one of those cheap fixed sighted ones might be worth grabbing just for the heck of it. Ive seen them under 300 bucks. Heck of a lot of gun for that money.
    I just bought a EC9s last week Ive only put about 75 rds though it . The fixed machined sights are dead on . I ready to run some cast though it . So far it is worth every penny .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

I got The EC9S and I like it enough to sell off my G43, which I got more mags and another EC9S.

EC9S has about 1000 rounds through it, snappy and I need a Hogue on it, but it just fits my hand better than any other SS9 out through. Shield is a close second.

EC9s I got last week and it went back to Ruger yesterday. The safety locked up and wouldn’t go on or off, and the magazine disconnect safety was acting up and wouldn’t allow a magazine to be loaded without ALOT of force. Sure Ruger will take care of it.

I really like the pistol. Hoping to find a LC9s Pro soon.

Lefty
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I've had the LC9s Pro for a number of years, and love it. The last time I took it to the range it shot extremely well, I fired it empty. closed the action and holstered it. I then fired a magazine or two from my CZ 75 -SP01 and when finished I put it back into the case and went home to clean them. No problems until I tried to disassemble the Ruger. I first noticed something was amiss when the front looked strange. It turned out that the recoil spring assembly had broken. I got the pistol disassembled, attempted to fix the assembly ( I thought ) cleaned and oiled and reassembled the thing.
    The slide would not move.
    Nor could I disassemble it again.
    I took it to my buddy, the RO at the sheriff's range, and he took it to his brother. I called Ruger and told them what had happened and they said anything that I needed would be sent either to me or him @ no charge!
    I should have it back on the 13th.
    It's my EDC pistol, shoots great and the only Ruger that has really had anything go wrong while I owned it. Except for my CZ, one NEF and two Remington shotguns all my other firearms are Rugers.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

I finally got to run some Boolits through my EC9 . I ordered a Lee 120 TC with std lube groove cast a small batch up last night . I lubed them in a 358 size die . They cycled great through it. These shot great over 3.5 grain of Titegroup . No feed or ejection issues.

Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

Just realized the the EC9 replaced the LC9. Are the sights and single mag the only differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Just realized the the EC9 replaced the LC9. Are the sights and single mag the only differences?
    Same mag as fact they are interchangeable, but the sights are machined into the slide . That is for the LC9s & EC9s the little s is for striker fired.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    The fixed machined sights are dead on.
    Could you share what bullet weights, in general, shoot to the fixed sights? I am real interested in picking one of these up.

Quote Originally Posted by hporter View Post
    Could you share what bullet weights, in general, shoot to the fixed sights? I am real interested in picking one of these up.
    The first box of ammo was the Win. NATO grade bulk stuff in 115 FMJ . I just run some more the other evening this was Lee 120 TC's over 6.8 gr of Blue Dot per Lyman 47th book . These all shot to the sights . I need a lot of practice with it , I'm still learning to shoot a little pistol .

Thank you for the reply.

Boolit Master
    I got mine back today, The gunsmith polished the chamber and thoroughly cleaned and lubed it and replaced the recoil spring, which was the problem to start with. He enclosed a target shot offhand @ 30 feet, and all but one were in the black, and he used three different loads. 17 rounds total.
    After shooting it he wants one for himself. He said it was the best trigger that he's encountered that wasn't tinkered with. His uncle gave it to me at the range this morning and after hearing his nephew rave about it he wanted to try it. I took plenty of handloads so I told him to have a ball. He is a retired Sheriff's Deputy. He was impressed. I couldn't convince him to trade for the Ruger Commander sized .45 ACP that he had. Just goes to show you that he ain't stupid!
    Last edited by Tom W.; 04-13-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast