Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ruger american in 358 winchester available

Boolit Buddy

ruger american in 358 winchester available

Just wanted to pass on that Grices had a run of 300 Ruger Americans made in 358 winchester, i hope it shoots as well as my little american ranch rifle in 7.62x39. I got two on order, will report back when they show up.

Banned

I knew I shouldn't have opened this, now I'm gonna have to fight the urge to buy a new rifles all day.

The .358 is the perfect white tail hunting cartridge for those of us who cast. I'm really liking what I see of those Ruger Americans too, ugly, but very functional. A guy could do a lot worse.

Boolit Master
    GEEEEEEZE...I just started playing around with my 35 Whelen after neglecting it for a few years and now you got me thinking about something I really don't need but WANT! Maybe I should just buy one to see if it will kill my reoccurring urge to bore out my Savage 99 in 308 to 358.

https://www.gricegunshop.com/rug2697...in-20-fde.html
    Maineboy

Boolit Buddy
    I couldn't pass it up, have actually thought about buying another one in 7.62 x 39 and sending into JES to rebore to 35cal and make it a 35 Grendel. Really like to have one in 35 remington too but the 358 should be about perfect, really hoping it will feed the 230gr ranchdog bullet from NOE. For the price they can't be beat for a functional and accurate rifle with a decent trigger. I can be pretty hard on deer rifles banging around boats and saltwater so with a utility rifle like this i don't feel too bad using roughly.

Boolit Master

How is that 1:12 twist going to treat cast? Should it be slower for full power loads?

Boolit Master

Does it have a threaded muzzle? Cant tell from the pics and the listing doesn't have a detailed description

Boolit Master

A search shows 1:12 should be satisfactory for what I want to do, 200gr @ 2000fps with 49/49/2. Mine is on the way!

Boolit Buddy
    Been looking around at 358 dies this afternoon, looks like Lee doesn't offer a collet neck sizer for the 358 which is unfortunate. I tried my 35 remington collet neck sizer and it doesn't quite work, I hate the thought of having have Lee make a custom neck sizing die for $70 but I am pretty partial to those dies. Anyone have any recommendations for regular die sets? I usually go with RCBS but not sure if the expander ball is tapered enough to open up 308 cases to make 358's. Their 35 Whelen dies have a nice tapered expander that opens up 30-06's very easily.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
    Been looking around at 358 dies this afternoon, looks like Lee doesn't offer a collet neck sizer for the 358 which is unfortunate. I tried my 35 remington collet neck sizer and it doesn't quite work, I hate the thought of having have Lee make a custom neck sizing die for $70 but I am pretty partial to those dies. Anyone have any recommendations for regular die sets? I usually go with RCBS but not sure if the expander ball is tapered enough to open up 308 cases to make 358's. Their 35 Whelen dies have a nice tapered expander that opens up 30-06's very easily.
    A 35 rem collet sizer with the appropriate thickness washer/shim on top of the shellholder would have you going fixed up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
    A 35 rem collet sizer with the appropriate thickness washer/shim on top of the shellholder would have you going fixed up.

Boolit Master

If I did the math right, youd need a 0.012-0.013" shim.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    If I did the math right, youd need a 0.012-0.013" shim.
    Thanks, the washer idea should work perfectly, I have become spoiled with these collet dies as they are so easy to use for resizing.

Boolit Master
    1in 12" twist can work very well with cast bullets. My BLR has shot (with admitted luck) 3-shot 100 yard groups where the outside of the bullet hole could be covered with a dime which is .704" diameter. The powder charge was 39 gr IMR 3031.

Boolit Grand Master
    If I was forced to hunt with cast bullets, this would be my caliber of choice.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I would like to have that rifle/cartridge combo but alas I have a Marlin Waffle top 336 SC in 35 Rem I have not begun to load for and a 35 Whelen barrel for my Savage long action bolt guns I have not tried out yet.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I'm tempted but the rough action, trigger and rubber stock have me holding out. I think I would take an existing .308-based rifle and send it to JES for a re-bore instead.

Boolit Grand Master

FDE stock w/ stupid low comb that’s designed for iron sights which rifle doesn’t come w/. The color does me no good in the woods here. And I already have a RAR and RAP w/ the stupid stock. I guess I could use the green RAP stock I have since I replaced it w/ a Boyd’s. The stock comb bothers me to no end.

Boolit Master
    I was lucky enough to score one of the limited run Model 77s when Bud’s was clearing them out. I think I gave $450 for it.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

After ordering one myself I headed here to alert people that these were available. I also own one of the Ruger Americans in 7.62x39mm and really like it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakken View Post
    After ordering one myself I headed here to alert people that these were available. I also own one of the Ruger Americans in 7.62x39mm and really like it.
    That ranch rifle in 7.62x39 has become one of my favorite rifles, feeds the bluntest bullets like the RD designs or 314440 with out a hitch and is really accurate. Shoots everything well, jacketed, cast, cheap russian imports, mine has seen mostly cast full power loads. I really like the mini 30 mags, they are a proven and rugged design that works well. Is it perfect, nope, but for the price it is hard to beat. I have two of the Zastava mini mausers, a ruger hawk eye 77 compact and this little ranch rifle all chambered for the x39 and out of those four the ranch rifle shoots them best and carries extremely well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast