Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Value of this old S&W?

Boolit Master

Value of this old S&W?

Friend of mine got a few guns when his dad passed and he brought this S&W Model 66 down to the cabin with a couple other pistols for some shooting a couple of years ago.

I really enjoyed shooting it and he said if I ever was interested in buying it, to make him an offer.

I recently got the hankering for a good ol' S&W .357 revolver and remembered his offer.

I wouldn't have any real use for it other than as a safe queen and occasional range gun. He has the original box and the pistol appears in near mint condition.

I know almost nothing about S&W revolvers, and neither does my friend, so if you have any insight on this gun or it's value, would be appreciated.

Attachment 238143

Attachment 238144
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Fine revolver with exceptional wood. Prices vary quite a bit by region but in this area, this gun would bring upwards of $700 if not more with the box, papers and condition.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

In my area a really nice Model 66 with a 4" barrel will run $700.00 to $800.00 easy. They are getting hard to find in excellent condition now as most people who bought them tended to be shooters who used them a lot. Stay away from one that has had a lot of +P loads shot in them, the K frame does not stand up too well with light weight bullets at +P velocity. I have a K frame S&W and I rarely shoot +P in it for that reason. I have seen one or 2 cracked frame from using too much +P and want no part of that. Ruger is the way to go for a steady diet of +P. My experience anyway, james

Agreed, $650-$800 around here depending on condition and with box/papers etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Banned
    The model 66 was the stainless steel version of the model 19. That is a K-frame chambered in 357 magnum with adjustable sights.
    Those were extremely popular guns with US law enforcement back in the revolver days. The fixed sighted version in stainless was the model 65.

Like all of the magnum K-frames, they were susceptible to cracking the forcing cone with heavy use of magnum cartridges, particularly with the lighter 110-125 grain bullets. When confined to 38 Special loads and the occasional use of magnum rounds, the gun will out live you.

That gun in excellent condition with the box would bring $500-$600 all day long in my neck of the woods.

The S&W Magnum K-frames (Models 13, 19, 65, 66) were hardly rare but still hold their value very well. It is true and often repeated that they were intended to be "carried a lot and shot a little" in conjunction with the magnum loadings.
    As a "packable" 357 magnum, they are hard to beat. As a 38 Special revolver that is capable of shooting the occasional 357 magnum round, they are very desirable. The only guns in that class that beat a stainless magnum K-frame in terms of weight and size are the old Ruger DA six series revolvers.

Nice...very nice. I own 2 of them, one carried for several years as a duty weapon, the other NIB. They look just like yours, with the boxes, except they have the standard "target" grips that most came with. Your grips may be replacements, although S&W factory replacements. I watch the online auctions pretty closely, and $700 +/- is a pretty good guess. P&P's assessment of how they were used is pretty accurate. Although they are .357 capable, they were usually loaded with +P or +P+ .38 Specials. Being a stainless Model 19 they share the same good and bad points as the 19, in that a continuous diet of heavy .357 Mags will accelerate wear and loosen up the cylinder fit and timing, but using .38s they'll work well indefinitely.
    They shine at being easier to carry and handle than the larger S&W Mod. 28 or Colt Trooper in it's various "marks", but the larger, heavier revolvers are a better choice if you want to shoot lots of full house magnums.

Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the 600-700 range, more for a really nice one. There was a problem with cracking barrels that was found to be 125 gr or less fired full loads. That was the reason that the L frame was brought out. If you get it I would stick with 158 gr loads or larger.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    That gun in good condition would probably bring around $700 in my area.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master
    A retailer would want at least $700, but may pay your friend $300.

If he takes it to a gun shop, they will lowball him because they have to make a profit to stay in business, but they are going to hurt his feelings for sure. Around my area, most people ask $6-700 but $550- CASH- will get you in one. Now with the box....better have $600 on the hip.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

$700-$800 around here. The cracked forcing cone deal has been run into the ground. It was caused by hot loads with light bullets but at least 50% of all handguns that are privately owned have less than 500rds through them.
    If a guy doesn't load or isn't Law the chances of him wearing out a revolver are slim. It's the same with deer rifles. They are got out for season and shot a couple times to check sights and shoot a deer and put away for next year.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    $700-$800 around here. The cracked forcing cone deal has been run into the ground. It was caused by hot loads with light bullets but at least 50% of all handguns that are privately owned have less than 500rds through them.
    If a guy doesn't load or isn't Law the chances of him wearing out a revolver are slim. It's the same with deer rifles. They are got out for season and shot a couple times to check sights and shoot a deer and put away for next year.
    I guess all the ones I've seen with the cracked forcing cones and stretched frames are the other 50% Sorry, couldn't resist. They are awesome guns, I'm not bashing them.

This horse has been beaten to death several times over but there's a lot of reality to the cracked forcing cone issue on magnum K-frames.

The concept of a magnum capable K-frame was a good one when the guns were used primarily with non-magnum rounds. And the lightweight (110-125 gr) jacketed magnum rounds really didn't help the situation.

I like the magnum K-frames, I've owned several and have one now. But I also know what that gun is and isn't.

When Bill Jordan convinced S&W to make a magnum K-frame, S&W did all they could to make the K-frame suitable for magnum loads. Special heat treating, slightly longer cylinders, slightly thicker top straps....but there's only so much that can be done within the confines of that frame size. In the end it's still a K-frame.
    S&W finally accepted the limitations of that design for magnums and introduced the L-frame, which is probably what they should have done from the start.

The 38 Special K-frame is an awesome gun. Truly an American classic. Chambering a K-frame for the .357 magnum to make a lightweight, magnum capable, carry revolver wasn't totally a bad concept. However, ultimately it might have been "A bridge too far".

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with Petrol & Powder's assessment of the K-frame 357 Magnums. If you load Magnum brass to run (e.g.) Lyman #358429 at 900-1000 FPS, your grandkids will be giving that Model 66 to their grandkids to shoot such loads through it in any sane amount.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.