Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 30/30 Brass Neck Thickness?

Boolit Master

30/30 Brass Neck Thickness?

Hello

I started reloading 30/30 last summer and noticed some cases had almost zero resistance when pulling out the expander ball during sizing.
    Also zero resistance during M-Die expanding.
    So I figured some of the brass was ancient and reloaded many times and might be in need of annealing.
    I placed some brass aside and forgot about the 30/30 till last night.
    I wanted to dig a little deeper and realized that the RP brass had very thin case mouths. Like .006” where the Winchester and Federal were about .009” or so.
    Is this normal in 30/30? Should I segregate the RP and load it all by itself?
    I would imagine it causes all kind of issues with inconsistencies mixed in with the rest of the brass.
    Thanks for looking!

I use Winchester brass in my Marlin 30-30 because I crimp for the tube mag. All others get used in the bolt action Mauser and I've had no problems. Yes, I would segregate those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My R-P .30-30 brass is 0.010"-0.011" which is normal in my experience for the caliber.

I think somebody must have neck-turned some of yours and got a little "happy" with it.

Did you use a tubing micrometer or ball mic to measure the necks or some other method?

Max. cartridge neck diameter for .30-30 is 0.333." Typical .30-30 sporting chambers have a .335" neck, which provides safe neck release clearance with a cast bullet of up to .311" diameter. To load .312" bullets you would want to set your neck turning tool to uniform necks at 0.010" mouth wall thickness. Thinner than that the cases will be fragile and life will be poor.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My R-P .30-30 brass is 0.010"-0.011" which is normal in my experience for the caliber.

I think somebody must have neck-turned some of yours and got a little "happy" with it.

Did you use a tubing micrometer or ball mic to measure the necks or some other method?

Max. cartridge neck diameter for .30-30 is 0.333." Typical .30-30 sporting chambers have a .335" neck, which provides safe neck release clearance with a cast bullet of up to .311" diameter. To load .312" bullets you would want to set your neck turning tool to uniform necks at 0.010" mouth wall thickness. Thinner than that the cases will be fragile and life will be poor.
    Outpost, you are just a treasure of knowledge. I wish you wrote a book like Dean Grennell.
    Duke

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post

I used a set of calipers so I know it's not an exact measurement just more of a point of reference. I was surprised at how thin the remington's were.
    I'll keep them to the side and load them separately.

They might be good for as cast TL31490gr swc plinkers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    They might be good for as cast TL31490gr swc plinkers.

Good Idea. I do have that mould and was planning on playing with it a bit soon.