Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: platforms for 30-30 to 38-55 conversion

Boolit Mold

platforms for 30-30 to 38-55 conversion

So...I have recently become quite fond of the 38-55 round. I am really wanting a side eject lever gun in 38-55, but the 336cb and others are all really expensive. I saw one today and they were asking 1400usd. I figure I can get a decent 336 or maybe even a henry 30-30 and have it rebored for less and likley with better accuracy. Is there any advantage in one one over the other? I see plenty of 336 conversions, but not so many henry conversions. Is there a reason why?

Boolit Master

See if you can find a Marlin Zane Grey Centennial and send it to JES for a rebore on its 24"(?) octagon barrel.

Yes, for $250 shipping included, JES will return your Marlin 30 30 as a 38 55. His work is great, fast and reasonable. Not sure, but I think one reason you don’t see Henrys is they are expensive compared to a used Marlin. You should ask Jesse that question.

Boolit Master
    I sent you a PM/Ed

Don't overlook Glenfields or store brand Marlins for the surgery; there's deals to be had there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I did 3 1894 Wins in 30/30 to 38/55 with Numerich barrels, cartridge guides and forend & tenions. About $250
    in parts plus donar. If I was doing it for myself would get a 336 and send it to JES for rebore.

Boolit Master
    JES is the way to go if a 20" barrel will work for you a 336 or a glenfield 30 will do fine if you want a 24" barrel try looking for a 336a.
    Jessie does quality work and he's fast. I know what you mean about the .38-55 they are fun.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm in Alberta /Canada and we have but one old smith left that actually re-bores rifles. I had a plain Jane 50's vintage 336 pre-crossbolt safety 20"/ 30-30 [not a waffletop] done up to 38-55 with a .376 groove and a 1-16" twist.It was factory D+T so it with be perfect for a bush gun deer,elk,bear and moose. Will get a Leupold one piece base at the next gunshow and likely put a fixed Leupold in either 4 or 6X .Have some Ideal 375296 GC .377 that come out at about 280gr as cast.Need to work out a load now that it's not -40F

38-55 is an unusual cartridge in that it can come in a variety of bore sizes. JES I believe re-bores to 376. Takes the factory 377 loads and works for many of the CB 377 lead loads. Also works for 375 J bullets. Now my 38-55 CB really likes 379 cast bullets and works with 377 J bullets. I tried slugging it but it is a 7 groove rifle so the slugging is tricky. Don't much matter as I have shot it a bit and find the 379 cast and the 377 Barnes to work very well.

Many of those that send off a rifle to JES look for a cheap clunker with possibly a bad bore. With smokeless loads in a 336 action barrel length probably is not much of a factor. If one had other 38-55s possibly the JES re-bore would require separate ammo.

DEP

Boolit Buddy
    Curious ...............with a .376 groove what size cast should I be running? I have some .381 for a generous bore 1894 but that's too fat.Can they be sized down and if so how much?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    Curious ...............with a .376 groove what size cast should I be running? I have some .381 for a generous bore 1894 but that's too fat.Can they be sized down and if so how much?
    It has been my experience that most guns will shoot their best if the boolit is sized down no more than one or two thousand and are no larger than one or two thousand than the groove diameter.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

I have a JES "remodeled" mod '94 30/30 to 38/55 mine likes .378 slightly better than .377 with my load. My load is IMR 4227 at about 1350 and I'm shooting the 250 gr Lee boolit.