RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tinsel fairy doesnt care

Banned

tinsel fairy doesnt care

how old or experienced you are. just saying

Boolit Master
    Hah!!!! Hope you are at least safe and relatively unscathed by the experience....even if a little embarrassed.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve heard her rumblings but haven’t had a run in.......yet.

Hope you went unscathed.

Boolit Master

No, she doesn't. She especially hates it when you get in a hurry. I'm just about done picking lead off the wall. Saw it coming so I am fine, been tinseled before.

Banned

Glad you're OK.

Been casting a long time, had a few minor mishaps over the years but never anything serious (knock on wood). It certainly pays to be careful.

Banned
    aloe vera works wonders. I hope you didn't get bit. A description of what happened would be helpful so newbies and oldies get refreshed on what to avoid.
    With age and experience, we become complacent, unless you've had a serious mishap you tend to become lax.

I would strongly recommend eye protection ANYTIME you smelt/cast/reload. I'm glad I have to wear glasses. if not for my glasses I would be less 1 eye right now.

Boolit Master
    I was visiting old friend whom use to pour his own and seen evidence of lead on carport ceiling. I asked about it and he said some WW got wet and he dropped them in the pot of melt. Ask about meeting the tinsel fairy, he never heard that term, but he didn’t do that again. Glad I’ve read about it here first, and can learn from the experts, with more experance than I got.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I once was melting range bullets, and somehow a live round got into the mix... thank god I use a heavy cast iron lid and was not standing next to it... it flung lead everywhere but the lid contained a lot of it... I got very lucky... it was an eye opening experience.. I believe it was a 22.. at the time I had a shaker box setup and was getting bullets by the bucket load.. I would load a bunch into the propane cooker with the Dutch oven and lid, then walk back to the berm and shake another pail full, while the previous pailful was melting. that seems to be a problem when we start going for production instead of being careful... a visit was inevitable....

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

It seems many shooters use the berm as a way to dispose of duds. I had the same experience with a 9mm in the range scrap. It took lots longer to clean up the evidence than to collect the scrap.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

My run in with the tinsel fairy came in melting some reclaimed shot a guy came me. It was in a windshield washer jug. I paid no attention and poured some of it onto the top of my smelting lead. Luckily I was 8-10 feet from the pot went the first fairy visited. It was as loud as a pistol shot. I thought it was a live round in the smelt. The second fairly was not as rude as the first. At that point I figured it out and backed away from the smelter. There was three or four more juvenile fairies that visited.
    I poured the shot out of the jug and it was soaking wet on the bottom. I let it dry in the bucket. When the shot dried out it was a whole different color.

Boolit Grand Master

There are ways to slow the tinsel fairy's visits down a lot.

1 always start with a cold empty pot. this allows moisture to boil off before any molten lead is there.

2 If you must add to a hot molten pot se an intermediate pot and hold it for 5-6 mins in the melt to cook off any moisture that might be there. I use my big 6lb smelting ladle. fill it with scrap and hold the bowl in the melted above the surface for 5-6 mins heating and boiling moisture off before dumping into pot

3 filling the pot or ladle with a small shovel or spoon raking shaking the lead in slowly so you can see whats going into the pot.

4 a heavy cover and shield around pot to protect against spatters and pops.

I have had few visits from the tinsel fairy over the years but it as happened ( we even had one visit at work in die cast area) Proper safety measures and protective clothing saved me any injuries, several times holding the ladle in the melt I heard the tell tale sizzle of dampness. Hopefully nobody gets injured by these visits a metal burn is nasty to deal with and is a big risk of infections.

Be safe wear the protective clothing and gear as needed. Pay attention to what your doing leave an escape route if something does happen ( running is smart). One safety item I have in my pocket or very close is my cell phone if things go wrong I can get help.

I got dusted the other day, casting some Lee 358-158’s. I’ve got a battle wound on my hand.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Banned

it was a stupid move. Bunch of spruce cuts and fragments of lead made it to the floor and I swept them up (its winter and the floor was wet from snow melting off my shoes) and poured it slowly into the pot. It went fine. I was sizzling and drying fine. the sizzling stopped and I figure all the moisture was gone so I took my stiring stick and went to stir it in and bang! Got a couple tiny burns on my nose and neck. My right eye lower skin is pretty puffed up this morning from a burn there. Got my eye lid a touch on that side too. Oh well all and all I was very lucky. Wish I would have had as fast of reaction time that my eyes have to close to launch at the drag track back in the day. I would have been unbeatable. Had it happen a couple times early in my casting career but haven't had one in over 20 years mostly when smelting . thought I was to smart for that stupidity anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    Safety glasses safety glasses safety glasses !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    it was a stupid move. Bunch of spruce cuts and fragments of lead made it to the floor and I swept them up (its winter and the floor was wet from snow melting off my shoes) and poured it slowly into the pot. It went fine. I was sizzling and drying fine. the sizzling stopped and I figure all the moisture was gone so I took my stiring stick and went to stir it in and bang! Got a couple tiny burns on my nose and neck. My right eye lower skin is pretty puffed up this morning from a burn there. Got my eye lid a touch on that side too. Oh well all and all I was very lucky. Wish I would have had as fast of reaction time that my eyes have to close to launch at the drag track back in the day. I would have been unbeatable. Had it happen a couple times early in my casting career but haven't had one in over 20 years mostly when smelting . thought I was to smart for that stupidity anymore.
    heheheee...sometimes when the feces hits the fan it's too late to duck!

Glad your OK Lloyd...that Tinsel Fairy sure gives 'hot tips' huh?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Live 209 primers and molten lead do not mix well either!

BB

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Its been a while since i got a visit but i still have the scar across the back of my hand to remind me. Also put up a sigh on wall behind pot in big bold letters DON'T BE STUPID! not sure it has helped but it has been a while. And i agree gloves and glasses.

Boolit Grand Master

I was waiting for "The rest of the Story". Glad you were not injured more seriously. Mistakes can happen to anyone, regardless of their experience.

The only time I will add lead to a pot containing molten lead is when I'm smelting and dump a mold too soon and have the ingots break or when I'm casting and dump the sprues and reject bullets back in while they are still hot. I never would have thought about something on the floor picking up moisture!

When I'm smelting I will fill the smelting pot up heaping full and after the wheel weights melt down and the clips get skimmed off I'll turn the heat down enough that the lead gets solid and add some more to it. It doesn't have to be cold, just not liquid.

My biggest problem around here is that the slag that builds up on my ladle, skimmer and stiring spoon will absorb moisture from the humidity. I pre heat them in the flame before using them. Some really humid days I have to pre heat them each time I use them during a smelt.

Boolit Master

I was doing some smelting a couple of weeks ago. It had rained the night before, and the cookie sheet I set my ingot molds had maybe 1/4" of water. I decided to water-cool my molds, so just set them down in that little amount of H2O. When I started to ladle the alloy out of the dutch oven into the molds, they would hiss and boil the water under them - to the extent that some some little drops splashed into the next mold - and here came the fairy! Just little pops, and no damage done to anything, no real drama, but I won't do that again! Will use an old folded towel to contain the H2O, so no splashes...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

ya that wont work. to old school I guess. Cant see dawning safey glasses, gloves, a respirator and a hazmat suit to cast bullets. It might be smart but I never claimed to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    Safety glasses safety glasses safety glasses !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast