Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gatling Gun live fire !

Boolit Master
    Used to belong to an artillery group in the NE, the president had several field pieces and a '62 model Gatling like above, a repro maybe??

Anyhow he bought it from someone who couldn't get it to work and was getting the bugs out of it. It choked a couple times but was great to watch in action.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Used to watch brother in law fire a cannon in reenactments and forth of july looked like a blast. Would love to see a gatlin gun i bet its a blast.

Boolit Buddy
    There's a huge Gatling gun live-fire shoot on at a range south of Lancaster PA that's held the first Sunday in November every year. 15-20 Gatlings, Gardners, etc. Held at a private N-SSA range called Fort Ross. Spectators welcome, no charge to attend. More lead downrange in less time than almost anywhere on the planet!
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Boolit Buddy
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Vendor Sponsor

Here is a reproduction made from castings made by my friend and fellow BPCR Silhouette competitor. This is a picture of my son at age 9 cranking it in the entrance way where it lives and greets visitors.
    When making the reproduction the obvious choice of cartridge was the 45-GOV.
    It has been silent now for about ten years but before that it was available to anyone to shoot at the Colorado 4th of July BPCR silhouette championship match.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2602.jpg  
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

What is the gov. going to say about the large capacity mags??
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post

"Richard Gatling's first Battery gun, modeled from his 1862 patent. The original model fired the standard .58 paper cartridge used in American Civil War muzzle loading rifles. The paper cartridges were loaded into steel chambers, which were then picked up from a hopper by a shaped carrier."
    That is gosh darn fascinating. I had no idea they'd basically used a disposable-ish chamber for the paper cartridges. Really a great workaround for the technology of the time!
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Gary James had brought his Gatling gun to one of the local dynamite shoots. Out at 400 yards, the pattern spread was around 70 yards!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Vendor Sponsor

The gun pictured above was set up and aimed at the 200 meter (219y) chicken line at the 4th of July event. The gun has a sweep gear that can be levered in or out at the operators discretion so that the burst either drills all the rounds into the fixed point the barrels are regulated to, OR it will make a horizontal sweep across and back until the the firing stops.
    Once the gun was elevated on the mount to the match the chicken rail and 10 rounds cranked off, it would put an intense line of fire into the steel chickens. How may were hit with the spaces between them was luck but the barrel regulation and impacts would hold the chickens at that distance.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Many years ago, in the very early 60s, I had a fellow who took me "under his wing" and got me started in shooting N-SSA. Through him, I got to meet a lot of interesting folks, one of which was Mike Yack. Mike had a manufacturing plant in Dundee, MI and as a avid Civil War collector, shooter and just a great gentleman. He was a master machinist as well and started reproducing Smith carbines - when he died, it's my understanding his family sold the machinery to Pietta. Mike owned a farm down in Somerset and he formed Heritage Muzzleloaders. We often had N-SSA shoots there. Anyway . . . Mike owned an original gatling gun and he brought it to one of the shoots to put on a demonstration. At a break in the shoot, he set up 6 water filled 5 gallon buckets and got the gatling gun all set to shoot. He looked around and spotted me watching and came over and got me and told me he needed some help. I went with him to the gatling gun where he smiled and told me to step up and crank it. I was a young teenager at the time and I was surprised that he had come over and got me to do it. He stood next to me and talked me through it and I reached up and started cranking. I'll never forget that as it blew the pyramid of 5 gallon buckets (steel) to pieces. It was s drum feed gun. When we got done, Mike looked at me and just smiled and said something to the effect that . . "now you can say you've shot a gatling gun . . . not everybody can say that."

At one of the shoots at that range one year, there was a terrible accident where a container of powder exploded and IIRC, one fellow was killed and a number of people injured. That pretty much did away with the formal shoots at that location. Mike owned the farm up to his death (I believe) and we used to have some informal round ball shoots down there as he was kind enough to let us shoot there.

The last time I saw Mike was at the Civil War show at Mansfield, OH and he had just gotten back from France. He had gotten in to restoring WWII vehicles and he had about 11 or 12. He had taken a jeep over there and one 1st place with it - all those competing had restored their jeeps to where they looked like they had just rolled off the assembly line. He showed me photos of his - he grinned as he said it looked just like the ones he had seen and ridden in during the war - stuffing coming out of the seats, a crate of chickens tied to the hood and a well used look to it. IIRC it was a competition held during one of the anniversaries of Normandy.

Mike was a nice fellow who was always very kind to me and willing to share his knowledge. He has been gone now for a number of years but I will always remember him and especially the day when he gave a "kid" the chance to shoot a real gatling gun.

I hope you can get a video of the demonstration and share it. Mike's entire collection was sold after his death and I have no idea where his ended up but hopefully it is where people can view it and enjoy it - truly a magnificent piece of machinery and history.
    Did this gentleman have a museum of military vehicles as well? The man I am thinking of manufactured plumbers strapping and the museum was in the old factory near where there is a cabela's now. I was curious about the drivetrain on a half track and he saw me looking under the vehicle so he brought over a creeper for me to look under it. When I got out from he under it he quizzed me on what I saw. Might have been 13 or 14 years old at the time. Very nice man and extremely knowledgeable.

Eric

In Remembrance
    If you travel thru Alabama on I-20 stop in Coldwater Alabama and visit the Gatlin clan. The older brother has died.But the rest are special to talk to an ask questions. They are a certified Browning Dealer and great gunsmiths. I took them a gun in 1967 after i moved from Calif to Texas onto Birmingham Ala. The walls of the shop are covered with pictures and newspaper clipping about the Gatlins.

Boolit Master
    Getting to fire a Gatling gun is on my bucket list. Hopefully one thing I can cross off .

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    How many New Yorkers remember Kaufmans on 42nd street and Houston street?. Was in the Houston street store and they had a gatling gun.Barrels were pretty rusted and the brass/bronze housing was locked up. Only 5K as is. Seem to remember that someone was making all new ones some years back. Frank
    Send the Colt Custom shop a certified check for $10,000 and they'll be happy to make a new one for you!

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Have any members visited the Knob Creek Machine gun shoot? I've heard they have a Gatling show up at times.
    Other toys arrive Too, bring ear plugs and muffs, they are needed. Especially if the 20mm is there....

Boolit Master
    You can buy one in 45/70 brand new, 5 or 10 barrel, from your Colt dealer. Here's the link.
    http://www.usarmamentcorp.com/manufa...og-gatling-gun
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12