WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple diy peep sight

Boolit Grand Master
    True value has a drawer of "gunsmithing screws". Just ask.

Boolit Master
    Nice job! I'm in the same camp-- I have home-made peeps on my Mauser, Enfield, CZ-527 and 23 Winchester Special. I don't mind buying, but if I can't find what I want I make it.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy

Nice, and inspiring!

Boolit Master

Oh no, another project. the old arisaka might get one of these. it has a williams outfit on it and a side mounted scope . I can not get the williams cranked down far enough to be useful. but that would be solved with a fixed sight that was lower.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    What was the bolt action in your first pic?. Looks like a model 54 Winchester or an early model 70. Frank

Boolit Master

Nice work, thanks for sharing
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Very slick job and just as good or better than any fix & forget peep if not better. I have a cigar box full of neat junk to make sights. I tear apart things like gas valves for furnances, mechanical timers and sewing machines.
    They are full of odd little parts that lend themselves to sight making.

Boolit Master
    I like simple home made stuff like this. I had a 22 lr rifle that I lost the trigger guard some how in a move. I made the trigger plate then made the trigger loop and Welded the two together. It actually came out looking decent. I only had a bench grinder some files and a hand drill and hack saw to use as tools. I eventually ordered a chez burno replacement trigger guard for it. The rifle is a Chinese JW15 . I could not believe the actual chez parts fit so good. I also ordered a factory cz newer style mag and it fit perfect. I probably had two 8 hour days in making it but that’s how you learn and get better.

Boolit Buddy
    PoBoy gunsmithing at its finest! I like it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good enough is good enough.

And that is better than good enough.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Don't contour the base to match the receiver, coat the receiver with 3-4 coats of release agent and bed the sight to match with a good epoxy like J*B weld. Use a simple clamp to hold it while it cures, When cured clean up sides drill holes and finish.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Don't contour the base to match the receiver, coat the receiver with 3-4 coats of release agent and bed the sight to match with a good epoxy like J*B weld. Use a simple clamp to hold it while it cures, When cured clean up sides drill holes and finish.
    That certianly sounds a lot easier.
    I would be worried about glue in the holes, might be better off screwing the base onto the reciever (after coating reciever) and then filling the gap, then nothing can get in the holes or on the threads, and the base wont be able to slip around during clamping (or worse, after i leave the room)

Boolit Grand Master

When doing this I use blank screws in the holes to fill them or plug the holes with clay, before the release agent is applied.

Boolit Master

Looks good. I like it. I want peeps for my 30-30 and muzzle loader.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

In Remembrance
    I once made a rear sight for a muzzle loading gun that had an oversized dovetail by sawing a piece of 1/8" angle iron to length and filing to fit. No bending needed.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    I once made a rear sight for a muzzle loading gun that had an oversized dovetail by sawing a piece of 1/8" angle iron to length and filing to fit. No bending needed.
    as soon as i read this i went looking around for a piece of scrap angle iron.
    wife was not home so i flipped our mattress and chopped off a 1/2" piece from the steel bed frame. she wont notice haha.
    drilled 2 holes for screws and one for a peep, filed the rough edges off, done in 20 min.

Boolit Master
    I love the creativity of this project. This is a simple answer to a need and it provides answers that anyone can grasp. Now I'm motivated to look for similar needs in my pile of unsettled projects. This rear sight could be fashioned as a peep or open sight and offers all the durability one could ever require. Congratulations on a fine job.

Boolit Master
    I like it. VERY good on all the other ideas too.

Boolit Bub
    alright, went too the range, i buggered up the elevation measurement for the aperture and it was hitting 8.5" low at 25m (27y), flipped up the factory rear and poi was center of the bead on the third notch, too much difference for me to file the front post shorter without having a funny looking sight picture. more time drinking beer and playing with hand tools in the garage.... darn.

that being said, with the 1/4 wide sight body and the 1/8th inch hole, it made a very acceptable ghost ring. as expected, not very sexy or exciting, it is a hole and i peeped through it, put 4 shots into a little under an inch (fired 5 shots, but shot #3 was a called a flyer low and right, had one on paper way low and right) with my elbows resting on the bench, from a bag that load usually gives me 1/2-3/4" 25m groups.

then proceeded to lead the hell out of my barrel with a new load i wanted to try and went home.
    plain base acww did not like 15gr of imr4227 apparently

Boolit Master

While the ingenuity and skill set required to create this very cool peep sight, I am extremely glad that all my Lever Guns have Williams FP or Lyman Tang sights on them.
    But then I'm not young enough to have the hands needed for such a smooth job.

It impresses me that there are still young folks in this Country that can still make do with what they have. And fix a problem themselves.

Great job. Now just come up with a load that doesn't lead and you'll be in really great shape.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast