Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple diy peep sight

Boolit Bub

Simple diy peep sight

I recently purchased a marlin 336y as a replacement deer rifle, i have been down too one rifle for the last while and dragging my dads model 94 through thicket and swamp to get scratched and dropped in muck doesnt feel right no matter how much he told me to use it.

I wanted a peep sight for this rifle, and i wanted it to be a set and forget affair, my hunting load hits about an inch high at 25 and my small game load about 3/4 low, a fixed sight is perfectly acceptable.
    being on a bit of a budget i looked at the skinner lo pro, williams wgrs, and a few others, they are nice but i saw this;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	375_mod_70.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	238076
    I am no master craftsman but I can drill holes and bend flat bar, so why not give it a shot?
    Started with a piece of 1/2" x1/8" flar bar from home hardware, bent, cut, filed, and ended up with this

Name:	20190315_214443.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	238077

Name:	20190315_214735.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	238078

Finish is not great, i honestly just got tired of trying to take every last file mark out (and a couple were pretty deep). All shaping work was done with an old hacksaw, an 8" mill file, and some 400grit sand paper,

Holes were done with a cordless drill and the rear screw hole was widened into a slot with a chainsaw file so it could accomodate some widage adjustment, that hole is a bit wonky but it shouldnt be visible with a screw in the slot.

Total time investment was roughly 2 hours, this was meant to be a trial sight and a finer replacement is too be made in the near future, but if she works she works.

The issue now is finding 8-40 screws, i may need too break down and spend the 9.99 on a scope base just for those.

Sight is not installed yet, i backed out the grub screws to double check the spacing.
    Some pics of the adventure

Name:	20190315_221800.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	238079

Name:	20190315_221841.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	238080

Name:	20190315_221859.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	238081

Name:	20190315_221948.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	238082

Name:	20190315_222011.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	238083

Name:	20190315_222145.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	238084

Name:	20190315_222233.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	238085

Name:	20190315_222214.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	238086

Name:	20190315_222300.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	238087

I fully expect to need either a replacement front sight, or to file down the one i have, i have entertained the idea of making a washer type shim from popcan aluminum to go around the rear screw, should give me .005 adjustment per shim.

More pictures to follow once i get some screws and maybe a range trip in this coming week,

Thanks for looking!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Very good grasshopper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty neat man.

Boolit Master

Nice! Much better than the one I made for my son's toy rifle!

Boolit Master
    Nice project , and a good job .

I really like that.

And you have options.
    Drill a bigger hole and you have a ghost ring sight.

I think instead of changing the front sight I would just adjust your rear holes up or down to get you where you need to be.

I think your off to a great start.
    Keep us updated please!

Boolit Master
    It's perfect. Heck, if you need is a couple of 8-40 screws I'll mail you a couple.
    Last edited by JSnover; 03-16-2019 at 08:28 AM.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    It's perfect. Heck, if you need is a couple of 8-40 screws I'll mail you a couple.
    Beat me to it.

Boolit Master
    Very nice job, I prefer making my own things if it is going to save money, but if not I'll just buy it! You can shim the back of the sight, or drill/ tap a small screw for elevation. You can also tap the peep hole, and make you own appatures with the size hole you want.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I love it when common sense fixes take root.

On some air rifles they come with plastic adjustable rear peep sights. If or when that plastic breaks you simply order a new one. These adjustable rear peep sights rarely ever go bad and Since they are made of plastic, if you do have replace them they are very inexpensive. Most times the shipping cost more than the replacement part.

I think the last and only plastic peep I ever had to replace cost about seven bucks and change. I mention all of this because if you ever decide to get a little fancier by installing an adjustable rear peep on your rifle, you might be able to utilize these ready made plastic sights. They adjust for elevation and windage so you don't generally have to mess with your front sight.

I've even 3D printed adjustable rear peep sights out of ABS plastic and they held up real well on my powder burning rifles.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

The drill and tap for set screws to adjust is a great idea. We used set screws for jack screws all the time when I built industrial band saws. Just pick up a couple small set screws and a matching tap, drill and tap either side of the base between the back screw and peep. Loosen back screw and tighten jack screws evenly to raise elevation. Snug back screw to lock.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

Another place for the tapped hole and set screw is for the appeture itself. Drill and tap the appeture hole 10-32 and use 1/8" set screws to make appetures. This allows you to experiment with aperture size hole and your vision. Just drill 10-32 set screws with different size holes from .059 to 3/32" you can change them around to see what works best for you

That is very good work. I once owned a gun that a sling stud was used as a peep.

Name:	CD027484-AE39-4A38-8E3A-E60F8189FB1F.jpeg 
Views:	2527 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	238108

Boolit Master
    Ive done very similar to a few single barrel shotguns. When hunting with kids they have a hard time getting the bead down where it needs to be.
    I just made the L and soldered it on. Knowing about where the bead needed to be in relation to the receiver let me mark it.
    With a big target at 16 yds I can center the bead on a mark and shoot. I can determine elevation this way before I drill.
    While my way works pretty good for a shotgun it would not be suitable for a rifle.
    You did good!
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master

Good afternoon
    I do like simple and uncomplicated. Inexpensive also !
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Another "Me like 'em" here.
    Looking forward to your first range report.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    That is very good work. I once owned a gun that a sling stud was used as a peep.

Name:	CD027484-AE39-4A38-8E3A-E60F8189FB1F.jpeg 
Views:	2527 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	238108
    Junior did the same with a Mosin.
    http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/rr.htm

Boolit Bub
    thanks all for the praise! it was a pretty simple project compared to 90% of the stuff on this sub.
    also thanks for the offers to ship out some screws, a local buddy had a set of mossberg 590 bases he was no longer using and they also use an 8-40 screw, (even have the same hole spacing if i want to throw on a scope for load development, handy too know) so i managed to snag them today, countersunk the front hole as deep as i dared and tried to do the rear slot but all i managed too do was make some scratches, will likely attack that particular problem later with a conical grinding bit or something too that effect.
    before redneck countersink (larger bit)

Name:	20190316_130723.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	238126

after

Name:	20190316_161243.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	238127

Name:	20190316_161224.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	238128
    no idea why this one will not stand up right

Name:	20190316_132747.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	238129

as you can see i drilled the front mounting hole a bit off, not too terribly worried, and around the rear slotted hole i had to touch up some scratches caused by the conical grinding bit i had falling apart on me.

i had bored the peep to 3/32 initially but it did not feel quit right, so i opened it up too a 1/8th ghost ring, much better, and for the ranges i hunt i wont be losing enough precision for the deer to know how big my peep was. i spent most of last season with the insert removed from the williams fp on my 94 and my bullet was within 1.5" of my intended poi when i shot my whitetail at 90y (fork in a tree and kneeling makes for a nice rest).
    the sight picture (as best i can manage)

Name:	20190316_183615.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	238130
    lens was a bit closer than my eye sits, so aperture looks a little bigger in the picture than it does to my eye.

regarding adjustments, as i said i figure i can file the front post for gross elevation adjustments, the rifle has a sight radius of 19 5/8, too move poi up 1" at 100y needs the rear sight to go up .005, i can get .004 out of an aluminum shim made from a pop can, should give me .8" adjustments without too much headache.

thanks for the suggestion on threading the aperture, i don't currently have a tap and die set, so that may have to wait, same with using jack screws to adjust elevation, another thing to think of is that i want it to stay as simple as possible, the fewer screws to back out and adjustments too be made once it is regulated the better.

i plan on cranking out another one of these to see how well it will work on my 10/22 (already have the screws for that base) will post here how it goes, main issue will be contouring the underside to match the receiver i think.

i started this thread partly to show what i had made and partly because aside from the picture i had posted, i could not seem to find anyone making anything similar and posting about it, hopefully some other poor sod with a drill and set of files who cant currently afford a nice factory made peep finds it helpful (and that lo pro might only be $37, but shipping and exchange rate brings it too about 85 up here in Canada)

Boolit Master

The first time I saw a sight like that was on a picture an elephant hunter's rifle taken sometime before WW I. He was an ivory hunter and kept it simple and effective. Very good job on your sight indeed. I have toyed with the idea myself but would have to have someone do it for me as I don't have a lath or drill press. I only have the mauser I would put it on. james

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Junior did the same with a Mosin.
    http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/rr.htm

my first plan was a swivel stud, and thats where i got the idea haha, but the one in my parts bin is threaded for wood

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    The first time I saw a sight like that was on a picture an elephant hunter's rifle taken sometime before WW I. He was an ivory hunter and kept it simple and effective. Very good job on your sight indeed. I have toyed with the idea myself but would have to have someone do it for me as I don't have a lath or drill press. I only have the mauser I would put it on. james
    thanks! i used all hand tools with the exception of a cordless hand drill, no lathe or drill press needed, the one 90 degree bend was accomplished with no heat, just squared it in the vice and beat it over with my home defense 3lb mini sledge (remember, i live in Canada)

i bet somebody of an industrious nature could set up too punch these out from 1/8" sheet metal on an arbor press, clean up the edges on a sander and buffing wheel and sell them for $12.00 a pop. heat them up too 450 in an oven and toss them in oil for a quick "blued" finish.

maybe i am on too something

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast