RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: RCBS Chargemaster Lite

Boolit Master

RCBS Chargemaster Lite

I used this guy today for the first time today. I used it to do 50 rounds of 357 with 8.0 grns of N350. Did the plus 30 warm up and calibration. Checked the scale with a Lyman check set and stepped it through the check weights, all weights read as expected. Being the first time using this scale I ran it in conjunction with my normal digital scale. It's a Acculab VIC123 and has my every confidence. Set the Lite to run 8.0 grns and off to the races. It consistently read 8.0 grns with no overages. Problem is the Acculab said charges varied from 7.80 lowest, typically 7.92, 7.94, lots of 7.96. Maybe 5, 7.98s and one 8.00. The Lite read all charges as 8.00 like everything was unicorns and rainbows. Am I expecting to much? Also what's the best way to empty this guy? I dumped the drain spout but needed to actually pick up the scale and tilt it to get the powder completely out. Just not accustom to picking up and moving scales all willy nilly. Thank you.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Do you have check weights for the digital scale?

Not that it means much, but +\- a tenth is my goal. It should be noted that I do not load hot or light loads so I have plenty of room for error.

Boolit Master

If you mean the Lite calibration weights, yes. Calibration was done twice, once before loading the first ten or fifteen cartridges but after a thirty minute warm up as per instructions, and once during the load process to see if it would bring charges in line to the desired charge weight. I checked scale with the Lyman check weights up to ten grns and back down. The Lymans contain two tens, a five, two twos, a one, and a half grain. It identified all weights both up and down the check process. I neglected to mention both scales are connected to a line conditioner that filters power to prevent line noise from the electrical.
    I get the safety margin, my issue is the scale is lying, the listed weights aren't 8.0 grns. Like it is displaying. It's kinda like a lying coon dog

Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"

No sorry, I was referring to check weights for the acculab, as in why does it have your every confidence kinda deal, but I get what you mean now. And sorry I completely missed where you said you used Lyman weights in the first post....

You can use the charge master as a scale independent of the charging mechanism correct? Have you reweighed charges on the charge master after weighing them on your acculab?

Just spitballing

Boolit Master

Actually no I did not go back to Lite from Acculab. I might look into that. Just guessing, it will read correct weight. Both scales track the Lymans weight for weight. Just when Lite is dispensing charges does it seem to want to lie. The Acculab detects the addition and subtraction of two granules of powder. The only drama it had was life prior to the line conditioner. I get electrical from a rural co-op and it can have fluctuating cycles. On windy days the power lines will sway pretty good and cause additional line noise which transferred to scale display.

I was kinda wondering if it was a trickling issue.

RCBS states +/- .1 grain. So it looks like you're good except for that 7.8. It only measures in tenth grain increments. These things can also be affected by static, so maybe try a static sheet on the outside area.

Banned
    RCBS stands behind everything they make. Call them, it's their baby and they can tell you how to fix it or send you a new one.

Don't have one but kinda' wondering about the correct way to empty one of these things too.
    Just turn it upside down & dump the powder ?
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Dump spout on the side. It dumps the main well but it makes powder with "bitter clinger" attitude tough to route.

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS Chargemaster Lite

Looks the same as the larger version. After it drains out use the provided paint brush, assuming it comes w/ one of them as well, to push the rest out. Any powder that’s in the drop tube can be released by running it. It couldn’t be any simpler.

Banned

Seems to be a good product, but I have never used one.

Me either, but think I'd like one.
    The insulated state in which nature has placed the American continent should so far avail it that no spark of war kindled in the other quarters of the globe should be wafted across the wide oceans which separate us from them." -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    The process I use for emptying my RCBS Chargemaster.

1. Open side discharge to drain majority of powder. (I use a Dixie cup bowl, underneath)

2. Keep dispensing powder until it doesn't appear to dispense anymore.

3. Lightly tap the spout(while dispensing) with something lite, like a lead pencil for the last remaining vestiges of powder. Usually, the inside threads are still holding minute amount of powder.

4. Shut side discharge and use/bend the paper bowl to return powder to its container.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Thanks Winelover, second time was much better. Still had some powder escape but definitely better than the first. A Groto air puffer definitely helped getting low pressure air to get the last particles out.