RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Century 1887 hammer spring ??

Boolit Buddy

Century 1887 hammer spring ??

A friend brought a ( China made ) new, 1887 lever shotgun by ,, said something broke first time he stroked the lever ,, I worked the lever ,, the hammer spring " fell out,, 2 pcs." SOooooo,, just where do I find ,,( ready )" a good one ". The original hammer spring looks " cast " & crystalized ,, I think every thing in side needs to be polished ( kind of like look'n down in a outhouse hole ),, but first things first ,, any help ???

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Buddy
    Try Coyote Cap in Minnesota. He is the one that headed the project years ago to have these made again.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey sac,, tried'm,, don't have parts for " CAI " lever shotgun,, but they do have a very- very , lengthy article on how to fix all the 200+ problems w/ the " China " made lever shotguns . Told me to call a place in SD,, will try their. Thanks for your reply.

Contact other companies. Alot of people make replicas. Chiapa sells an 1187, and Taylors&co. All the parts are the same I think.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the info. ,,,BUT ! ,, called around no one had any parts, sooo ,, pulled a coiled spring out of a truck door window , heated it up straight'nd it out, shaped it , thinned it bent it to a" V " shaped the end,, re-hard'nd it put it in ,, worked just fine ,, learned something about spring steel. I also had to polish some of the " rough " places in the gun,, pretty smooth ,, first try at mak'n a spring .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    Thanks for all the info. ,,,BUT ! ,, called around no one had any parts, sooo ,, pulled a coiled spring out of a truck door window , heated it up straight'nd it out, shaped it , thinned it bent it to a" V " shaped the end,, re-hard'nd it put it in ,, worked just fine ,, learned something about spring steel. I also had to polish some of the " rough " places in the gun,, pretty smooth ,, first try at mak'n a spring .

That is great! You gotta love it a 21 century Okie blacksmith. good job.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Well done ! I am no "smithy" either but sure enjoy people who "give it a whirl". Your friend will be right proud to have a custom repair that was one the old way.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll do better " next time " ,, thank's for the come backs. Watched a few videos,, read a few articles ,, went for it . " Life ,, can be good ".