Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Irreplaceable powders?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Heard that's discontinued now also .
    It is still being made by Alliant, sold as Reloder 7, sometimes abbreviated as RX7 or RL7 but same powder.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I’m an outlier, I guess. I bought a 12 lb keg of SR 4759 based on how people here reacted to its discontinuation and I haven’t really seen what the fuss is all about. To me it’s just another stick powder that’s hard to meter. I haven’t found any use for it that I can’t fill just as well with another powder. I probably still have 10 lb left in the can.

2400 and RL22 are the two powders I would miss most. 2400 because I use it in so many different loads and RL22 just for 257 Weatherby.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

When Red Dot goes I'm going sell out the whole kit and is kaboodle of reloading gear.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    I sure wish they would bring back 4759 about the best medium powder for bfr 45-70 and 1895gs using 51gr h322 now what a thumping powder my weak loads are full case of black
    I talked with Ron Reiber, the product manager at Hodgdon Powder about a month ago and he told me that they were working on a new powder that was every bit the equal or maybe even better than 4759. I forgot the name he gave to the powder but he said cast boolit shooters would be impressed. It will be a stretch to equal that time tested powder but I'm looking forward to trying some.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Walla2 View Post
    Irreplaceable powder? Talcum.
    Talcum contaminated with asbestos is replaced by corn starch.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Lot of load data for RL 7
    RL 10 gets overlooked
    Then there is the guy who put RL9 on his match data form.

Turns out he had a can each of 7 and 11 and mixed them!!!!!

At another match he said he ran out of 7 so blended the remainer of his 11 with 15 and called it 13-1/2.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Unique is irreplaceable to me. Lots of close but no cigar powders to it. I may never try another powder in 44-40 WCF. Maybe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I have found that Bullseye and 452AA both work wonderfully in the .44-40 and give normal ballistics with good accuracy.

Attachment 250187Attachment 250188
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I am in a good group here I like RedDot ,Re-7 ,SR 4759 and some others mentioned a lot !

I had a good supply of OLD Reloader 7 and ran out the current stuff looks completely different more like IMR-4227 or SR 4759 I have not reworked any loads with it yet .
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    Years back I was a member of the powder of the month club and usually would get a few cans of each and test it in cartridges that used the older powders. Some worked,some didn't. Called up a buddy of mine and asked him if he wanted some powder and read off the list. Half hour later he's ringing the door bell. Two large boxes went out the door. What he could use he kept, the rest he gave away. I tend to be more conservative now and basically use IMR 4350 in the '06, Imr 4895 for 308, IMR 4759 for cast bullets, 4227,2400 also for cast in small cartridges.Unique for cast as well.
    Frank

Well back in the day I though WW630-P was UN-replaceable , then I found WW630 and I never thought I could replace that, then I found H110. It would be tough but if I had to replace it I could. Blue Dot would come to mind. I have used H110 in all my 357 mag rounds for years, and my .22 Hornet. My best friend and I buy 4 kegs at a time. But Blue Dot could work. Now ask me if I would like it.

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    Personally I have a hard time with virtually any powder being unable to be replaced that said I subscribe to the "trinity" theory of reloading when it comes to handgun powders. That is Bullseye, Unique and 2400. If you have those there's few rounds you can't reload in a hand gun. For rifle there's so many options and its very caliber specific. If I were going to toss out one and only one powder I'd probably think IMR 4064. It shoots average to well in a lot of calibers. I doubt that Unique will ever cease production until man ceases production or uses phased plasma rifles in the 40 watt range.

I miss 4759, but I'm not forlorn over it. So many options to choose from today. Not at all like it was when I caught the reloading bug from Dad in the '60s.

Wouldn't like to lose Varget, Bullseye, or Lil'Gun, but I'd survive.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I miss 4759, but I'm not forlorn over it. So many options to choose from today. Not at all like it was when I caught the reloading bug from Dad in the '60s.
    This is a huge truth. When a friend's dad passed away I was looking at his reloading book from the 70sish. You got 2-3 powders per cartridge pretty much even silly common stuff like .38 Special or 9mm. These days someone makes several powders for almost anything that are good. It obviously gives you a lot of options tuning for rounds. You'd lose a little performance off the top but it would be survivable in virtually any caliber at this point.

I was at a gun auction a couple of years ago that had a trap shooters estate in it. They had a lot of sealed cans and kegs of powder. The first one up was win 630. Auctioneer had to take it clear down to $1 to get a bid. I knew what it was and got 16lb of it for $4.50. I thought I was going to buy all the powder for pennies but the bidding went crazy on the known powders. I have been loading 44, 45 & 45/70 with it with good results.

Boolit Master
    GONRA is using is his Precious Stock of Win-West 630 P Ball Powder - for .38 Super, .44 AutoMag, 7.62 Tokarev....

(630 P fanatics no you can use it in .25 ACP - per powder Mfg. Factor suggestion:
    Here's my load: 50.2 grains, .252 diameter, Lyman 252435 cast bullet,
    3.0 grains 630P powder, CCI #500 primer.
    Verks Just Fine: Browning Baby, Walther M-9 vest pocket pistols.

Hard 630 P balls exactly support bullet base!)

Boolit Master
    I have been loading with discontinued powders. I have a nice collection of old reloading books.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I was at a gun auction a couple of years ago that had a trap shooters estate in it. They had a lot of sealed cans and kegs of powder. The first one up was win 630. Auctioneer had to take it clear down to $1 to get a bid. I knew what it was and got 16lb of it for $4.50. I thought I was going to buy all the powder for pennies but the bidding went crazy on the known powders. I have been loading 44, 45 & 45/70 with it with good results.
    630 was good stuff. 630-p which came first was touchy and you had to be really careful close to maximum loads. I used it in my .357 heavy loads, ad even had a load for the .22 hornet.

ACC

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Some times you get lucky. I picked up 10lbsish of assorted powders when I was at the LGS and they had a bunch of stuff from a shooter who passed away. Lots of 1/4-1/2 lbs stuff but hey I don't complain about a gift. I got a couple cool tin cans of powder and cans of RL-12 and RL-22 where the label is actually painted on the can not just stuck on.

Boolit Mold
    Well CFE pistol seems to be a match made in heaven for light bullet 45 acp loads. book says 185gr- 1140fps at max out of a test barrel at standard pressure.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FerricOxide View Post
    Well CFE pistol seems to be a match made in heaven for light bullet 45 acp loads. book says 185gr- 1140fps at max out of a test barrel at standard pressure.
    CFE pistol is basically a modernized, well metering version of 800X. If Hodgdon had developed it for shotguns as well, it would be a much better powder.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123