Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Irreplaceable powders?

AA3100
    I know in many calibers H4831 is a similar and suitable powder. In the one and only load that I use AA3100 for I have not been able to duplicate the accuracy with any other powders (yet).
    I know it is not the most efficient, powerful or highest velocity load but........ 50 grains of AA3100 in 45-70 Starline brass , CCI large rifle magnum primers and a 510 grains round nose Govt bullet is very accurate out to at least 500 meters in my Pedersoli Quigley Sharps. I still have 3+ pounds left. It will be a sad day when I run out. Then the load development starts.

Boolit Buddy
    Losing SR4759 breaks my heart. Supremely accurate load with the 311284 in the .30-06 and the 375449 in .375 H&H. Add to that, that with velocities right around 1900 fps perfect for cast bullet hunting loads. There is a reason the big Model 70 in .375 was christened the "Star of Alox."

Banned

Some years back when I was imprisoned in New Yorkisstan.
    friend called on the phone one day his father-in-law passed away. He was a super avid reloader.

It's too many cartridges for 458 win mag and something with a 224 bullet..
    I walked away with about everything he had including a case of this powder which was mixed with one or two other flavors.

My God does this powder smell good when it burns!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

+1 on the IMR aroma. It takes me back to 1974 and my first deer. Ah, memories!

Boolit Master

Open a fresh can of IMR3031, smells as good as Fried Chicken.

Fueled the .257Rob'ts that took my 1st Deer. 1966, the 1st yr CA decided We "needed" A HUNTER SAFETY Course. If I'd been born in '53, I'd not have needed to take the **** course.

Still, H4895 will do bit more.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I sure wish they would bring back 4759 about the best medium powder for bfr 45-70 and 1895gs using 51gr h322 now what a thumping powder my weak loads are full case of black

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I would hate to lose Varget as it works very well for me. I would likely find something else as accurate but would not want to start over. I have about 20 lbs of it and should stock more. Will likely do that next year before the election.

I have a handful of favorites but no other applications were replacing them would be much effort.
    You can use IMR 4064 .There had been some post on use of IMR 4064 in place of Varget .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned

pistol
    fast-bullseye
    med fast-aa2
    med unique
    slow aa9

rifle
    fast 1680
    med fast 2230
    med 4985
    med slow 4350/re19
    slow re22/4831
    real slow 7828/re25
    with those I can load anything. More is better but that's absolute minimum

I'd be broken hearted if they discontinued IMR3031, because I've never loaded anything else in the 30WCF

I've been asked about IMR3031 in the 45-70, but my two go-to propellants for that are IMR4198 and Reloader7

As for 30-06 I tend to use IMR4064 in my semi-auto and Reloader19 or 22 in my bolt rifle

When I started metallic reloading the recommendation for the 270Win was IMR4350 which I was unable to make my brothers rifle like, I did not have the same problem when I started load development with Reloader19.

As for the 223Rem, I've never liked H-335 in that cartridge, always preferred Reloader7, simply because of the reduced Muzzle flash

I'll cast my vote for IMR-PB. A great powder for many of the old black powder, lead bullet cartridges! I found it to work especially well in 38 Short & Weak as well as 9 Parabellum with a 125g lead RN-Conical pill in my PO-8's!
    However, owing to the great shortage of 2012-2016 I happened upon (thanks Graf & Sons) to Nobel Sport Vectan powders. Specifically Vectan 206-V as a wonderful replacement for PB as well as HP-38/W-231. It's a very clean burning, consistent diameter flattened domed-ball powder that is in the same burn range, meters easily and fills the case like PB. Of course, as it turns out, Nobel Sport discontinued 206-V in late 2018. But, at least I had the good sense/fortune to purchase a lifetime supply while the getten'was-good!

For any that may be interested, Graf's still shows 206-V to be in stock (at 1990's prices of just over $14 a pound!) as sold in 7716 grain/1.1 pound jugs at the hansom price of just $15.59 each.

Boolit Master
    Haven't found any powder the can't be replaced or improved upon. Started with Hi-Vel#2 in the 30-30, 2400 for the 22 Hornet. Went to 3031 for the 30-30 and now use Accurate 2015. Changed from 2400 to IMR 4227 for the Hornet,did not like that snap-on lid on Hercules powders, got a 45 Colt revolver, 4227 worked great. Now I use Accurate 1680 in a 218 Bee. Used H4198 in the 45-70, went to 2015. Started with IMR 4064 in 300 Savage, 308 Win - now Reloder 15 for 165's, 180's, Varget for 150's. Some powders just seem to work better than the older ones. IMR 4064 and 3031 do not measure very well, Reloder 15 and Varget measure well and usually provide better velocities. There is no single powder that does not have a suitable or better replacement, though mostly I would rather just shoot than do load development. I use Reloder 7, IMR 4227, H4198 and 5744 for boolits in most centerfires. Never liked BL-C2 or 748 due flash, blast, spiking in the heat.

Boolit Buddy
    I still have some 4759 so I've been testing other powders for when the 4759 is gone. 2400 and 5744 seem to be good replacements. I haven't found a replacement for 4756 or 7625 in handgun. Both of those are unbelievably accurate powders in 32 long, 327 fed and 38 special.

Tony

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    When stash of SR4759 runs out I'm going tot give Rx7 a try. I hear good things about it.
    Heard that's discontinued now also .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Banned

I still have and use # 80 smokeless powder in loading the 44 special. Have 4 unopened 1 pound containers!

Boolit Master
    I am down to three pounds of SR4759.
    So I switched over to RL7 and have had good results.
    I also have several pounds of 5744 that falls in the same range for the reloading that I do.
    I think with what I have for cast boolits in rifles alone will last me till I die.
    But I will miss the 4759 when I run out

Boolit Bub
    My vote goes to Unique, 2400 and Bullseye for pistol and 4895 for Rifle. I pretty much have all my caliber covered.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    sr 4756 is one that i miss, hard to find the right replacement. what i have found out is imr 4895 and h 4895 = varget for my needs. what i have found out is varget = precision rifle for my needs. what i have found out is 5744 = buffalo rifle for my needs.

Boolit Master

Guess I’m showing my age. I miss the original made in Sweden Norma’s MRP from the 70’s and early 80’s. Definitely not the inconsistent stuff currently made named MRP

Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    Guess I’m showing my age. I miss the original made in Sweden Norma’s MRP from the 70’s and early 80’s. Definitely not the inconsistent stuff currently made named MRP
    I have the remainder of a pound of Norma Magnum my friend bought for his .270 in 1976. He passed last year and I am using it up in my 25-06 in his honor. Excellent powder still.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My vote goes to.... Black Powder. Which is almost non-existent in retail outlets, just the substitutes are generally found. I don't think it would be likely to be discontinued as it is to be phased out or banished.

Lot of people use the BP substitutes. I do myself, in addition to some real black. Convenience of buying the substitute locally rather than having to add some BP to my infrequent order that requires hazmat fee. I'm not sure the younger set is as likely to be motivated to go through the hassle to get real black powder which over time could reduce the motivation for manufacturers to make and market it.

Smokeless is flammable, black is explosive. I could foresee the government at some point deciding it was too dangerous for private use or placing enough restrictions on it that the market providing black powder dies off. Of course then a few folks would make their own. Until the key chemical became unobtainable. But I'm sure those home brewers would be a small minority of shooters.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast