RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle primers in hand gun loads?

Boolit Master

Rifle primers in hand gun loads?

Couldn't find a place to put this. So im trying here. A gentleman at the gun club today was telling me he uses rifle primers for all his loads. Anyone else do this? Has my interest caught.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Small rifle works. Large rifle is best avoided.

Boolit Master

Yes makes sense. He was shooting 223 and 9mm carbines.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Small rifle are the same size as small pistol. Large primers are different sizes between the two. Assuming your firearm can light them off and you work loads up correctly you can substitute SR for SP. You essentially have a SPM primer when you use SR. This is what I use w/ H110/W296.

Boolit Master

Cool ill load some 357 with some and see how they do. My LGS charges less for small rifle than small mag pistol. For just target loads in the 357 i run titegroup with standard primers. Sometimes i want some power lol.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Grand Master

I only use them w/ powders that require a magnum primer. No need w/ easy to light powders and the results might no be to your liking. Every gun is different so results are going to vary.

Boolit Master

Yes trial and error. I had trouble with accu 9 getting a complete burn in 10mm. Magnum primers solved that one for me. I discovered the problem when i got my carbine. I saw pieces of powder in the bore when i scoped it before cleaning. It cleared my 1911 though.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    Like changing any components in a worked up load; Start low again, & work the load up again to where you were before, while checking for possible issues.

Or, not.

Suit yourself.

Just sayin'.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I mistakenly loaded some 44 mag loads with LRP. I was my normal load which no where near max. I loading the Redhawk up and made sure the cylinder would turn freely, then tired 100 rounds without a problem. LRP will sit a little proud of the case so watch for lack of clearance. I watch my primers closer now

Boolit Master

Yeah I had some primers in my 38 that i did not seat far enough. Was aggravating lol.
    One round at a time.

I used to use SR for 9mm used in a Class III weapon that fired from the open bolt with a fixed firing pin.
    They did fine in it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The use of large rifle primers in pistol ammo is hazardous in the extreme, especially in .45 or other large primer autos. First, they will jack pressure to radical levels and two, since they stand proud of the case base, they invite a slam fire which is a gun breaker. Small rifle and small pistol primers seem to present no problem when intermixed in handgun loads.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You essentially have a SPM primer when you use SR
    This seems to be well established gun forum knowledge, though I cannot say I have seen or heard it from a reloading manual. I have done it in 38 special with no ill effects, but do not make a habit of it.

Boolit Master
    LR and LP aren't even dimensionally the same size. This IS well established knowledge. SR and SP are the same size.

Boolit Master
    Once, in a moment of distraction, I put Win small rifle standard primers in 50 38 Special cases, and the Win small pistol standard primers in the 50 223 cases. Both loads shot completely normal with no change in POI. I don't do it on purpose, but its nice to know that in a pinch it can be done.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

A week or so ago I actually measured the "height" of one SPP and one SRP. The SRP was .004 thicker than SPP and if I'm not mistaken the small rifle primers have thicker cup material hence requiring a harder strike. Personally I'll stick with product application unless it's an emergency.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    A week or so ago I actually measured the "height" of one SPP and one SRP. The SRP was .004 thicker than SPP and if I'm not mistaken the small rifle primers have thicker cup material hence requiring a harder strike. Personally I'll stick with product application unless it's an emergency.
    That would be odd. Here's the SAAMI specs on primer dimensions. This comes up all the time and it's quite surprising how many reloaders haven't seen this before. https://ballistictools.com/articles/...d-diameter.php

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    That would be odd. Here's the SAAMI specs on primer dimensions. This comes up all the time and it's quite surprising how many reloaders haven't seen this before. https://ballistictools.com/articles/...d-diameter.php
    Look at the tolerances on those. I've never bothered to measure, but I bet manufacturers are all over the map on sizes, plus the usual manufacturing tolerances.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Look at the tolerances on those. I've never bothered to measure, but I bet manufacturers are all over the map on sizes, plus the usual manufacturing tolerances.
    Not really. Get your mics out and start measuring.

Boolit Master
    Back in the post-SandyHook powder and primer drought I was forced to use SR primers in 9mm and 38 Special. They worked fine and I saw no difference in performance or pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast