RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M17 in 303?

Boolit Master
    U.S.Rifle Model 1917.As far as the rifle in question I would do a chamber cast.It can be chambered for almost anything.When DP P14's were available for $25.00 to $35.00 I built a number of rifles on them.Whether I used a P14 bolt or an M1917 bolt was determined by the rim size of the case I was rebarreling to.The actions can be made to handle the .505 Gibbs.The largest round I personally used was .416 Rigby.
    If the rifle is in issue condition it may simply have the wrong bolt stuck in it by an importer.

Banned

Thumbs up

Here's a 276 coming to auction soon. Opening bid is set @$2000. Sale est $4-6000. First one imported here in past 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    To quote myself.....
    "I could be wrong; and frequently am"
    To quote myself

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wow! That .276 is a collector's dream. Really beautiful. Yesterday I saw a Remington 1917 offered on www.gunauction.com in similar condition.
    The auction had started at 1 cent and it was up to $900 with 50-some bids. Almost makes me want to sell the two I've still got-- but their condition certainly doesn't approach these. I refinished the stocks with a satin oil finish. The metal was refinished (I think) with a dull black of some sort.
    I think I bought them at Big 5 Sporting Goods back in the early '80s.

I think the nicest one I've got -- well, the one I like the best, is a Win. 1914. It took a little more restoring in that the hand guards were split and if I remember correctly I repaired them from the inside with some sort of fine mesh matting and Accraglas gel. The repairs aren't visible on the exterior. It really is a good shooter. I'd show photos, but they're stored away.

The 1914/17 rifles are a fascinating study. After WW I the US military had many of the 1917s on hand, but decided to stay with the M1903 as the standard issue rifle. At the beginning of WW II they had approx. 1 million in storage, and shipped most of them to the British after they lost many of their rifles at Dunkirk. They were mostly used to arm the Home Guard. After the war they apparently dumped them in the North Sea. Most, but not all, of the rifles that appeared on our surplus market came from their various colonies like (at the time) India. Great rifle, just a bit heavy.

Boolit Master
    The Red Chinese converted captured M1917 rifles to 8mm, not sure if the Nationalist did so as well.
    Some WW1 surplus P14 rifles were bought up by commercial gun makers and converted to 8mm for sale to European users. These had M1917 bolts fitted.

Sarco once sold tons of M1917 and P14 receivers with your choice of bolts for custom projects. Some came with shot out or corroded 8mm barrels still mounted.

My rifle is a M17 Remington with an M17 Box magazine and follower but a Winchester P14 bolt. Has been converted to 303 Epps (two center rounds)!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12