RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: How to remove an Accra Shot from a T/C sidelock?

Boolit Master

How to remove an Accra Shot from a T/C sidelock?

I bought a nice .45 T/C Hawken rifle the other day and it came with an Accra Shot small rifle primer adapter in place of the #11 nipple. Do any of you know how to remove it? I may end up having to carefully file flats on the exposed threads and try to get it off with vice grips or a small crescent wrench. All advice is welcome. GF

Boolit Master
    Probably has a Allen Head fitting in the center (where the primer seats) like the Mag sparks I use/Ed

I recall that there are 2 sections.
    The top contains the firing pin, is knurled and simply unscrews from the base that holds the small rifle primer.
    The base simply has nipple threads as far as I know.
    There may be an O-ring inside of the top that snugs it to the base, but I'm just guessing.
    If it's stuck then it may just need some elbow grease.
    Perhaps the threads have some powder fouling on them.
    I would pad the top threads with a thin piece of rubber or leather if using vice grips just like when opening a tight lid of a jar to not damage it if possible.
    They might be considered to be scarce spare parts.

The Accra-Shot needed to be removed after virtually every shot in order to remove the spent primer which was said to be tedious since the primer would expand and stick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	accra-shot 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	238063

Name:	accra-shot 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	238064

Name:	accra-shot 3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	238065
    Last edited by arcticap; 03-15-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've been using the Accra-Shot nipples, exclusively, on both of my percussion rifles. Both are early versions and have flats for a wrench. Primers do tend to be prone to sticky extraction. I usually flick them out with my fingernail. At worst, the point of a pocket knife. Never had to remove the nipple to extract the spent primer. I prefer Winchester SP, over CCI's. The CCI's tend to separate into two pieces, anvil and cup, after firing.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Spit on primer and then insert ,no sticking /works for me

Boolit Mold
    good post, never heard of the AccraShot before

Boolit Master
    This one doesn't have flats. The cleanout screw in the snail is typically frozen. I have, however, dripped Kroil on it and the adapter, but no joy. The one Rem small rifle primer gave up its anvil, but I was just able to pop it out with an un bent paper clip. The bottom line, regardless of how good or bad the thing is, is that I want to return it to using a nipple which I know I can replace as I need to. I'm to the point of thinking I may need to carefully cut a screwdriver slot with a Dremel cut off wheel and dress it up with a diamond jeweler file and see if I can get enough torque with my Chapman gunsmith screwdriver handle to break it free. Any other ideas? Would a quick pass with a propane torch before trying to unscrew it help any? GF

Boolit Grand Master

Heat works really well, just make sure the gun is unloaded first. You are absolutely sure you can't use an hex or torx wrench on the inside? If you are set on destroying it, I would grab the outside with a vice grips before messing with cutting a slot.

I would dip the breech in boiling water for a few minutes before using a torch,
    but that's just what I've done to remove stubborn nipples and clean out screws.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm, I haven't heard of using the boiling water. I will give hat a try first. Unfortunately someone replaced the cleanout screw with a shallow hex screw and of course it is hogged out. GF

Boolit Master
    Maybe CRANK a small stainless fuel hose clamp on and apply pliers to that.

Another tip that someone just posted about for removing stubborn nipples from a revolver was to
    use a flat punch to hit the underside of the nipples with such as like using an impact driver.

Except the revolver cylinder allows that to be done through the inside of the chamber.
    He whacked the inside flat of each nipple to loosen it up, and didn't damage his nipples either.
    He was pretty happy about getting them all out.
    Only one of the nipples needed 2 whacks.
    Someone joked that sometimes a little violence helps.

Boolit Master
    Was considering to purchase one years ago to try. Never did after some second thought. i.e. Small slippery rifle primers handling with arthritis at the reloading bench gave me pause "do I want to deal with that in the field when hunting."
    As far as what I know to install or remove. The body part of the nipple is typically screwed into place with ether a Allen wrench or a Torx screwdriver. If the body shears off and leaves its threading behind. That threading removal process from the Snail requires a specific tool called > Easy Out/s and a spray can of Thread Buster or Koil so to saturate the working on area overnight. There are other means to resolve but the (above) commented is perhaps one of the simplest to try.