RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Gemmer Trapdoor .45-70

Boolit Buddy

Gemmer Trapdoor .45-70

100 yard group. I'm sure the rifle can do better but 68 year old eyes and bifocals don't help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 270F7A4D-2927-452C-BD3C-0CD9BF312A30.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice. I have all the parts (except for Gemmer style hammer) for one. I just need to get to finishing mine.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice, rifle looks like a real craftsman did the conversion.

MORE PICTURES MY MAN!!! that is a very nice lookin rifle from what I see. Did you do the work? How long is the barrel? Much more info is needed ... come now ... no teasing

In Remembrance
    Yes, more pictures and info please. I am in the process of building one myself in 40-50 SBN caliber. I am using an octagon 40 caliber barrel and a Hawken style lock, along with a stock made from a home-grown walnut plank harvested in our yard. For me, it has been a long and often frustrating process as there were no plans, just pictures. I have built a few muzzloading guns, but that was when I was a lot younger and didn't have arthritic hands. My frustration level isn't as high either. And a Hawken is a hard gun to get right. Marrying the lock to the receiver (and set triggers!) was a chore. I am about there though, need to modify and tweak the hammer to strike the firing pin.
    Last edited by mazo kid; 03-18-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

In Remembrance
    Oh, forgot to compliment Varsity on the great looking rifle! Very nice work.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Buddy
    I'll put up some more pics shortly. The barrel is a tapered Green Mountain 28 1/2" plus the length of the receiver. The rifle was rough assembled in the white by Doc White, from Green River Rifle Works, back in the day. I did the remaining shaping of the stock and the stain and finish. I had the breech block case colored by an outfit whose name escapes me. The iron hardware is rust blued. After I shot it a few times, I added the MVA tang sight. The barrel needed at least 50 rounds to break in while I experimented with different loads.
    Last edited by varsity07840; 03-19-2019 at 08:35 AM.

That is awesome. This has always been a project I wanted to do. Very nice work and looks like she shoots nicely as well.

Cant wait to see your pictures.

Boolit Buddy
    I remember reading somewhere that there is only one known octagon barrelled Gemmer trapdoor and that all the rest were standard round barrelled trapdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    MORE PICTURES MY MAN!!! that is a very nice lookin rifle from what I see. Did you do the work? How long is the barrel? Much more info is needed ... come now ... no teasing
    Agreed!
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

In Remembrance

Gemmer

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that there is only one known octagon barrelled Gemmer trapdoor and that all the rest were standard round barrelled trapdoors.
    You are probably right; but I have seen pictures of repros with octagon barrels. The reason I used one is that I wanted a smaller caliber rifle and that is the barrel I already had.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM