RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman Spartan

I am probably going to cut the ears off my spartan and fit a primer catch. Been thinking on it a while.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have a Spartan press I got in the late 70's, it was put away for several years and was put back in use about 20 years ago. The old red primer catcher crumbled
    to pieces when I tried to slip it in place. I rigged an plastic coffee can for a primer catcher and used it that way for 4 or 5 years. I don't know how many rounds that thing has
    loaded but I still use it for certain things but mainly for decapping brass and loading rifle brass, I still don't trust a progressive for that.

I found a primer catcher on line at primercatchers.com It was about $13. The only draw back is the shell holder has to be turned sideways it deprime rifle brass.
    Last edited by LenH; 03-19-2019 at 09:25 AM. Reason: add content

Boolit Master
    My first press bought in 1971, for rifle and pistol. After 20 years replaced it with a Lee Challenger and then an RCBS Rockchucker for rifle (compound leverage). About four years ago replaced it with a Lyman T-mag for pistol. Still have it packed up in its original box with the primer catcher.

I don't own a Spartan or any old "C" press. But I do own a 1973 RCBS Junior "O" press, and I noticed that the toggle linkage is very similar and the priming arm is almost identical. In terms of strength, I don't really think that a sturdy cast iron "C" press loses anything to a cast iron "O" press for 90% of the tasks that it will be called upon to perform. I suppose that bullet swaging or heavy duty case forming might be too much, but that would also be excessive for the single toggle linkage on a simple cast iron "O" press.
    I replaced the RCBS Junior with a Redding Big Boss press, which is a product-improved version of the RCBS Rock Chucker, and a better compound leverage press in several ways.
    The Junior still gets used as a secondary press in my computer room when I just want to crank out 40 or 50 rounds and stay close to the computer.
    And, to be honest, I never felt under-gunned with the Junior. It easily loaded everything rifle and pistol that I needed it to without any undue effort.
    I just wanted a new first class press.
    In comparing most loading tasks on the two, I really don't notice much difference in the effort, although I'm sure that the Redding would begin to shine with larger bottleneck rifle cases. But, I'm not into magnum rifle rounds.
    So, go ahead and buy a good cast iron compound leverage "O" press like the Big Boss 2. You won't regret it and I'm sure that you will enjoy it.
    And keep the Spartan handy For secondary tasks.

Boolit Master

I have a Spartan Turret. Found it and a #55 in a yard sale in NC for $30. Not really sure if I like that tilted back thing or not. Put a wedge under it, didn't like that either.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12