Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationPBcastco
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interesting article - Handguns vs Bears

Boolit Master
    During our '14 trip to Alaska, I asked a fishing guide why we saw extended families hiking in bear country with a young male family member carrying a 12 gauge riot gun with extended magazine. He (who grew up on Kodiak Island) explained the "Alaska load". The round in the chamber was what we would likely use for pheasants. That was aimed at the bear's face. If that didn't turn the bear, the 6 slugs would stop it. He told me that when he was in junior high, his small hometown was invaded by a really big coastal brown bear. the local law enforcement shot it with a 12 gauge filled with slugs. Every bone that was hit was broken, including the bear's pelvis.
    The guide carried a Taurus 44 magnum revolver on his chest. I left my 45-70 with Buffalo Bore ammo in our truck camper.

Boolit Master

I wandered into my LGS and there was a honking big ss revolver on a display stand on the counter. I picked it up and it felt just right in my hand. Dry firing it in both single and double action was a total joy. The trigger pull was just right and very very smooth and easy in double action. For some reason the revolver followed me home. Firing .45 ACP with moon clips was fast and a lot of fun. The recoil was just like a .22 LR out of my Ruger Single Six. With a cowboy load in 45 Colt it was just a mite more. However with loaded with 454 Casull full house loads...……..hang on to your hat! However it was less painful than my friends 500 S&W Magnum in a 3 inch barrel. I will not fire that gun again no matter how much I am made fun of a wimp or whatever.

https://www.wildwestguns.com/custom-guns/wolverine/
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    Packable power is the hallmark of a 500 Linebaugh. I got this one a couple of years ago. John builds a real work of art.

Attachment 238225

Just got mine finished. I got to make the barrel and cylinder and the main polishing work. After seeing what John does to make the Ruger flat, straight, square and fitted, a work of art is an understatement.
    I put an octagon barrel and walnut grips on mine. With 450gr that baby shoots like no other. They will all go in the 1" bullseye at 20yds if I do my part. Hitting my 12" 400yd plate the other day, I bet you could hear the ping a mile away.

Quote Originally Posted by John Van Gelder View Post
    Several years ago there was an article in the annual Gun Digest about a fellow who had taken a number of black bears with a Lyman reproduction 1858 Remington .44.

The .36 loaded with soft lead round balls, that weigh around 80 gr. would not be my first choice for a bear gun.
    AMEN! a 36cal percussion revolver should be thought of at an arm that shoots a single 000 Buckshot,
    because that is what they actually shoot.

I have a .32cal revolver and I cast soft lead balls in a Lyman four cavity #0 buckshot mold, I wouldn't want to use that pistol on anything more dangerous than a charging Rabid Squirrel. But I have carried my larger 44cal revolver when I take out the trash on Monday nights. At close range it is certainly better than an empty hand or a 4" lock-blade pocket knife against a trash seeking bear.

Also on bird hunters encountering Bears the thing to be carrying is a birdshot load filled with molten wax or epoxy after dropping the shot into it or crimping the shell closed.

A cluster of even #7-1/2 will penetrate 4-6" of lumber before shot dispersion starts, so basically it will act like a slug.

I tried once to "glue" fine shot together inside the shell by pouring molten "Woods metal" into an uncrimped shell and the effect on impact was quite impressive, it shot through 6" of pressure treated pine a Thick truck bed mat (like the sidewall of a OtR truck tire then the near side of a metal 55gal drum used as a burn barrel before breaking up.)
    Last edited by AllanD; 04-16-2019 at 09:30 PM.

And that's why I carry a bfr 45-70 7.5 bbl loaded with 500 gr rnfp loaded to 1500 fps the same load loaded to 2.550 coal in my 1895gs does 1750 fps if I had to carry less into the wilderness I would probably stay home or carry a 10 ga but that's not pistol talk

A friend of mine was charged while bird hunting a couple years ago. He fired and she dropped at his feet on the third round. They left to called the game warden (no service there) and by the time the wardens got there she was gone. They looked for a couple days didnt find her as far as I know. I dont know what size shot. 5 or 6 I expect

There are videos on cut shot shells. Not recommending but interesting results on water filled drums.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123