Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article - Handguns vs Bears

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting article - Handguns vs Bears

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz5i7K0p2zP

First, it is highly unlikely any cast bullets were used.

Second, If it should be moved to another forum, please do so.

Anyway, I found it an interesting read. Would I hunt any bear with a pistol? Certainly not by choice!! But they may not be as ineffective as I once thought.

I have been out a few times during training season with bear hunters who use dogs. We cannot shoot a bear that is mauling a dog during training season. Some guys carry pistols in case things get ugly.

This year one of the guys who runs with another group of bear hunters got a lesson. A bear had been shot with a rifle but was still fighting the dogs. He fired a couple of .357 rounds into the bear and then walked up close to put one into the bears head. CLICK!!!. He had not fully loaded his .357...(or maybe in the excitement had shot more than he thought?) The bear clawed him badly and he nearly lost his manhood. He was in the hospital for a while.

BTW, it seems common here to walk up and put a couple of rounds into the bears head when it falls from the tree...just to be sure it is dead. I tend to believe part of it is bravado....walking up close to deliver the coup de grace. But it might also reflect poor marksmanship skills.
    Last edited by dverna; 03-15-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    Don Verna

Long time ago there was an article from a bear hunter on the Wa peninsula ( state appointed guy) used a 44mag IIRC. Brush was too dense to carry a rifle. Very successful. I owuldn't count on a 22lr to do the job like the fishing guide in Ak did - he didn't survive.
    Whatever!

" to my surprise, the buckle was actually a snap and the strap peeled away. As I pulled the revolver out, a sudden calm came over me, and I knew everything would be fine." I get that same feeling when I have my favorite .44 loaded with 265 rnfps over H110.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    I know a guy who killed a Grizzly with a pistol in Glacier Park. At the time the bear was sitting on his chest in the tent. He put the 22 RF Colt Woodsman under the bear's chin and emptied the magazine. Took 2 guys to get him out from under. He was not charged.

He now goes to Church, Temple and Mosque several times each day.

Boolit Master
    Very interesting
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    On the other hand, some years ago there were four fatal maulings by brown bears. Every one of the victims had a heavy (44M or bigger) handgun, most still in the holster. Bears are fast!

Banned
    I just carry a few pounds of tannerite in my pack. If I ever am getting mauled, I will shoot the tannerite. At least I know I took the sob with me that way.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn’t have anything smaller than 44 mag. For bear, or any carnivores that are capable of having me for a meal.

Nobody heard of S&W 460's and 500's? I don't live in bear country but seems like something to consider.

Banned
    460s and 500s are big and heavy. The gun you leave at home won't help you.

The handgun that you will carry is the best one.

Hard to improve on a S&W 4" 329 in 44 Magnum filled with 300 gr hard casts. If you are so inclines a TAC 14 filled with 3" Brenneke Blacks is even better.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbo333 View Post
    Nobody heard of S&W 460's and 500's? I don't live in bear country but seems like something to consider.
    As WehrmannsGeweher said they are pretty heavy. I live here in Alaska and I see several of those big S&Ws every year. Just rarely on anyone's body. I have been helping out with a men's ministry float trip for 16 years and the gentleman who heads up the ministry has a 500 that rides in his raft box. I've never seen him wear it. I have carried on those trips all of those 16 years and my revolver is always on my hip, either a 5.5" 45 Colt, 44 Special or 500 Linebaugh, a 6.5" Ruger 480 or a 4" Redhawk 45 Colt. Those all fit my requirements for packable power. The 44 Special is a Ruger Flattop and is loaded to its potential.

I have seen a couple guys carry their 460 and 500 on their bodies but they were both the short barreled versions.

The other factor is shootability. Not everyone can handle a 475/500 Linebaugh, 460/500 S&W, or even heavy 44 Magnum and 454/45 Colt loads. Some people reach their limit with 41 Magnum/10 mm loads. I'd much rather see someone carry a gun with which they can deliver good hits on target under stress than to see them carry a gun they are afraid to shoot.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    If its all i have then thats what its going to be but i would definitely not want to go up against a big bear with a hand gun. But thats just me.

If I knew I was ging to tangle with a griz my preference would be belt fed and crew served. Just gotta figure out how to get the crew into a shoulder holster.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

I certainly get the big, heavy part. Only fired a 460 once, not a top end load at all and yes those revolvers are huge. It was the power they deliver that I was thinking, or not thinking, about. I gave up on full house 44 mag loads years ago but no bears here. 32 S & W long or 38 special are fun . Great on grasshoppers. Had lunch with a fishing guide in AK a few years ago, he carried a 50 AE.

Banned
    well if i were to have a gun in grizzly country , i'd have the 500 linebaugh.
    https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/500caliber

since i live in black bear country(up to 700lbs, but 300ish lbs is more likely), my ruger sbh likes to eat 280gr wfn and 2400 all day and twice on sunday.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    The other factor is shootability. Not everyone can handle a 475/500 Linebaugh, 460/500 S&W, or even heavy 44 Magnum and 454/45 Colt loads. Some people reach their limit with 41 Magnum/10 mm loads. I'd much rather see someone carry a gun with which they can deliver good hits on target under stress than to see them carry a gun they are afraid to shoot.
    Totally agree.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Man
    My son has shot quite a few blackbears over bait. A couple years ago he decided he was going to shoot one with his new .460 S&W it took seven shots on a 350 lb bear before he quit moving. He hasn't said anything about trying it again.

Boolit Master

We have an abundance of black bears where I live.

Just my thoughts on a bear attack. If a bear attacks, it will be at close range, the bear will be coming fast, and you will only have seconds to react.

You have to be able to draw and fire FAST. A chest holster rig would be quickly accessible, or a good belt holster you have practiced with.

You are only going to get one, maybe two shots off. It had better be a head shot with a bullet/boolit that will penetrate the skull and brain.

A S&W .357 mag with a max-loaded 170-180grain hard cast boolit would be easy to draw and fire fast and accurate.

A Glock 10mm with a good 200 gr cast boolit would be great.

44's and 45's Colts would be stoppers with a good boolit.

I just believe for me, the .460, 500 and such handguns would too heavy to draw fast, too hard to shoot quickly and multiple times if needed.

The attack is going to be like a mugging, not hunting an animal at 50 to 100 yards.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    We have an abundance of black bears where I live.

Just my thoughts on a bear attack. If a bear attacks, it will be at close range, the bear will be coming fast, and you will only have seconds to react.

You have to be able to draw and fire FAST. A chest holster rig would be quickly accessible, or a good belt holster you have practiced with.

You are only going to get one, maybe two shots off. It had better be a head shot with a bullet/boolit that will penetrate the skull and brain.

A S&W .357 mag with a max-loaded 170-180grain hard cast boolit would be easy to draw and fire fast and accurate.

A Glock 10mm with a good 200 gr cast boolit would be great.

44's and 45's Colts would be stoppers with a good boolit.

I just believe for me, the .460, 500 and such handguns would too heavy to draw fast, too hard to shoot quickly and multiple times if needed.

The attack is going to be like a mugging, not hunting an animal at 50 to 100 yards.
    I ask people to throw a tennis ball at a wall, and draw and shoot it before it gets back to you. That's how fast a bear moves, and the size of the brain you have to target.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I think it's important here to make a distinction between going bear HUNTING and going out in bear country for other purposes and carrying for self defense.

If you are going after the bear - then you carry an appropriate rifle or a 12-gage shotgun. If all goes well - you will use it. That's the plan.

If on the other hand - your goal is to be out and about doing fun stuff outdoors - then something comfortable to carry that doesn't get in the way is probably #1... The reality is that if all goes well - it's not going to get used....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast