Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Removing stuck nipples from revolvers

Boolit Buddy

Removing stuck nipples from revolvers

I have been collecting parts for a Ruger old army and on trying to remove the nipples from the cylinder found they were so tight that I couldn't get any of them our. I gave them a couple of taps with the nipple wrench over each nipple with the hopes of breaking them loose. Then oiled them top and bottom and set them aside for twenty four hours. I still couldn't get them to move. I decided to try something else to loosen them. I put the cylinder in my vice, it has wood to keep the jaws from damaging anything. I set the mouth of the chambers up and balanced the cylinder on the metal in the center of the jaws, put one cylinder at 12 o clock and tightened the jaws. I then found a flat bottom punch that would rest on the bottom of the nipple, in my case it was about a 3/16 flat faced end of the punch. I then gave each nipple a couple of whacks with a four ounce hammer, moving each opening to the 12 O clock position before giving each nipple a couple of whacks. On removing the cylinder and trying each nipple with the wrench, I removed the first five nipples, one was stuck! I replaced the cylinder in the vice and gave it another couple of whacks, and I got the last one out! These nipples had been in the cylinder for 42 years, and were probably stuck when the revolver was put away! And the nipples were undamaged! I was dreading having to drill them out without damage to the threads! The shock of tapping them from the bottom gave them enough shock to get them out! They were still damm tight! So if you have some nipples in a cap and ball pistol you haven't been able to get them out, this might work for you! Best regards, the toolman.

Yep, often violence is the best answer.

Banned

good - all's well that ends well.

this is why anything that gets screwed into a barrel or chamber needs to be anti-seize grease lubed, specifically if black powder is the propellant. i just got a '51 colt navy and that's what i did with all 6 cones. good ol' nikal to the rescue.

Yes, anti seize saves a lot of time and work. Sometimes a little heat or cold will also work, but care must be taken.

In Remembrance
    That's the first I have heard of that method. After ruining 3 nipple wrenches trying to replace the stuck nipples on one of my guns, I took a small socket and carefully filed the end so it was a snug fit on the nipple. Then, using my 1/4" electric impact drill and putting pressure on it, I successfully backed each nipple out. I had also soaked the threads with Kroil overnight. More than one way to skin that cat! And yes, anti-seize was applied to the threads when installing the nipples. That's a given!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master

Another trick that works if you can bet to the stuck nipple is a vibrating electric pencil. with the vibrations turned in put the point in the nipple hole and press down with hand pressure for a minute or two. Even better is have some kroil oil in there while doing this. The vibrations will loosen the corrosion and tension, along with help work the kroil oil into the joint. I have used this to break small screws loose many times. Sometimes a couple heat cycles with a solder gun help. Tapping with a small punch and hammer will work. In screws a bit in the chuck of a drill press and part locked down may give the Bite needed to loosen

I've put the part in boiling water for a few minutes.
    It's always nice to have another harmless method to try out.

Boolit Master
    I broke every nipple wrench I had trying to get a stuck nipple out of a Euroarms Zouave. I finally got a modified Snap On socket to break it loose. I've been using anti seize ever since and no problems. I carry anti seize in my gun box and have some in my work shop.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Mold
    Good Job! One method I have used over the years is to use thermal expansion and contraction to break parts loose. For something like a nipple I would use a butane micro torch and heat each nipple until any oil or grease starts to flow and smoke, then quench the cylinder in cold water. Important not to heat the part hot enough to affect the temper or the finish of the part; too hot to hold is hot enough. I've taken breech plugs out of 300 year old Brown Bess muskets using this method. IrishFritz

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishFritz View Post
    Good Job! One method I have used over the years is to use thermal expansion and contraction to break parts loose. For something like a nipple I would use a butane micro torch and heat each nipple until any oil or grease starts to flow and smoke, then quench the cylinder in cold water. Important not to heat the part hot enough to affect the temper or the finish of the part; too hot to hold is hot enough. I've taken breech plugs out of 300 year old Brown Bess muskets using this method. IrishFritz
    I know you think this is really stupid but check with a measuring rod to make double sure it aint loaded before you apply the torch - there is more than one feller out there didnt. (didnt check and it was loaded)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard II View Post
    I broke every nipple wrench I had trying to get a stuck nipple out of a Euroarms Zouave. I finally got a modified Snap On socket to break it loose. I've been using anti seize ever since and no problems. I carry anti seize in my gun box and have some in my work shop.
    /\ Good Trick !

I've used a similar approach on other stuck parts. The key is to select a socket that allows the thickest cross section that still fits in the confined recess. Find the socket that fits into the recess and then grind away the steel on the socket to make the proper profile for the part. Be sure to keep the socket cooled while grinding it, you don't want to make the socket any softer.
    It will cost you a socket and some time but it is a small price to pay when you're at that impasse. AND you now have a custom wrench

Boolit Man
    I remove nipple"s after shooting cap abd ball store out of cylinder reinstall with anti seize when I shoot after clean and store. I had a gun years ago that was cleeaned well and nipples rusted in, Never again
    "Peace is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    if it doesn't turn out easy a week in a glass jar with 1/2 ATF 1/2 acetone with a lid on it is a good place to start.

a 6 pointed socket that fits very tight , you don't get a lot to grab sometimes the socket is too thick to fit the opening a drill and a file can help this also make the face flat to get the max engagement.

permatex anti sieze after every cleaning solves so many issues use it on all my nipples and breach plugs.

also with so many things like breach plugs and nipples don't over torque it is so easy to do there is lots of thread engagement there. snug with that tiny nipple wrench is plenty tight snug then back a 1/4 turn then just back to seated.

impact is also good the new cordless impact drivers don't have huge torque but they will sit and hammer at it to break it loose without rounding it off.

I bought a used Thompson inline and the breech plug was stuck soaked it in atf for a week and it still didn't want to turn out , but 20 seconds with that little cordless impact hammering on it and it zipped right out no damage.
    Whatever you be , Be a good one