Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Record keeping- Reloading / Shooting / Casting Log

Boolit Master
    I keep a notebook which handles 1/2 letter size pages, and which has tabs for each of the main calibers I load for. I print my own targets on letter size paper, and after I've shot, I scan them in as a jpg file. Then I insert them in the notebook after my notes on the particular load, which is also noted on the target along with the rifle or revolver used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0584.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	238002

Name:	reloaddatalog.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	238003 I've been using these pages for years.

Boolit Master
    My method is 3-ring binders with a dividers for each firearm, or a couple of firearms where appropriate like where I don't shoot many groups for a given caliber. This allows adding notes that are pertinent to a particular rifle or pistol. When I shoot a test target I trim it down to size and place it in the binder; on the target I write load info, chronographed velocity, etc. Sometimes I just tape the load info I wrote out when I loaded the cartridges onto the target. Seems like information is more likely to be missed when its transcribed. If a handload or factory load is particularly bad I discard the target and make note of that load and enter it in the notes pages, or on one of the targets I shot and kept. I don't do much load experimentation anymore so I'm not adding as many pages as I used to.

Load data begins when I smelt bullet metal. On each ingot I stamp with a screwdriver or scratch with a punch the date and metal composition (i.e., wheel weight, cast bullet metal, jacketed bullet core, plated bullets, misc., etc.). When I cast bullets a tag is placed in the container with the bullets identifying metal used, date cast, and any additional information like which mold was used if I have more than one mold for a given bullet design.

I know this an archaic method, but it's survived a computer crash, a move, and I have the satisfaction of looking at the actual target fired.

Boolit Master

Reads like you have a good idea of what data you want to keep. You have to always enter the data, one central place, for it to be worth while. The way you keep the data is less important than consistently recording the data for reference. Me, I use a "WORD" document I developed many years ago for each variation of a load for a cartridge along with range results for whatever gun was used. When I load another batch of the same load, I add it to the same record.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

I have abandoned any record keeping of “pet loads” as I buy whatever powder is cheapest when it comes time to resupply.

However, I have found it useful to write down load data for loaded cartridges so I am not guessing about the contents later. I just put a slip of paper in the ammo can and completely empty it before adding newly loaded cartridges.

Could probably do better, haven’t seen the need yet.

I don't keep meticulous records. I make general notes in a book about what loads I liked and what loads I didn't.

When I accumulate multiple revolvers in the same caliber, maybe I'll keep better notes.
    I do have a notebook keeping up with every round fired out of a certain gun.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trixter View Post

Name:	reloaddatalog.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	238003 I've been using these pages for years.
    Those are what I use for my paper logs. They have all in the information you need on them.

Here’s the basic spreadsheet I made if anyone wants to use it. Easy to change it however you want.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iq1yjfa6du...0Log.xlsm?dl=0

You should keep two sets of records in two different places. Otherwise you open yourself up to loss. Could be caused by a flood/fire or just getting tossed in the trash by accident. For guys that have been reloading for decades it can be a daunting task to copy everything. For people just starting out it adds little time to create a second set and is peace of mind. There are members here who have lost all their data due to one reason or another.

Boolit Buddy
    K.I.S.S. Is the way I do it. One small spiral notebook, divided with tabs, which are labeled for caliber/cartridge. Each cartridge gets about twenty pages, I load a small batch of test ammo, the load gets written on the box, the ammo gets shot, if the test ammo is good to go the load goes inti the book with any notes such as accuracy, smoke, leading, recoil etc. All my ammo gets bagged or boxed, the bag or box gets the load written on it in sharpie. Pretty simple and it works well.

I've got a old blank notebook that I write down a cal., powder charge & boolit weight in.
    And note how fast & accurate it is for info. I want to keep and have a record of.

For loaded ammo, brass, cast boolits, etc.
    I just use freezer bags I've rescued from the kitchen trash, saved & cleaned out.
    What ever is in them, I write that down on a sheet of paper inside it.

At the range, if it is a good load, I'll makes notes on and save the sheet to write in the book.
    And the bag gets recycled again for the fired brass.

I've gotten away from mass storage in plastic ammo boxes because they take up so much
    room in a .50 cal, or 20mm ammo can compared to the freezer bags that are loose filled.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-15-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    i use 3x5 file cards and a plastic box that holds them. I have not purchased file cards for over a decade. I no longer experiment very much.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Like many I have an Excel spreadsheet for a log. Separate tab for each caliber. Another sheet for gun firing records, with individual tabs for each gun. Another sheet for components, tabs for primer, powder, bullets, cases. Unfortunately I'm horrible at keeping load logs, the others are pretty good. For new loads I'm better, but for standard loads like .223 / 77 gr Nosler CC/ 24.0 gr RL 15 / maglength, I don't bother. I know I have 600 of them loaded (enough for the season), but I need to buy another 1k from SPS.

I am very good about labeling boxes, although my horrible handwriting doesn't help.

.223 Remington x500
    Nosler 52 gr CC
    25.5 gr Hodgdon Benchmark
    LC & Fed mixed cases
    S&B SR maglength

Boolit Master
    I keep two separate spreadsheets. One is simply a list of loads by firearms with all the data (Firearm, projectile, powder, loading, measured velocity, measured sight setting for zero, standard deviation and notes about accuracy or other comments). My second is a spreadsheet with one sheet per firearm. This second one is most valuable to me, because I keep for each firearm an inventory of how many bullets I have of each type, how many primers, how much powder of each type and a tabulation of sets of brass. I have it set up so that when I plan a trip to the range, I click on the brass set I am going to use and it updates how many reloads on that brass. I select the bullet I plan to use and it subtracts the bullet set from inventory, and simultaneously subtracts the primers from inventory. Then I click on the gunpowder page and plug in the load I'm using to update the powder stock. With my system, I take a post-it note and make it into a box label (firearm, brass set, bullet, primer, powder, COL and sight setting), then it only takes me a couple of minutes to update my spreadsheet with this information. Because my spreadsheet is always up to date, it automatically shows me exactly how many bullets of each type, primers of each type and powder of each type I have in stock, and even gives me an estimate of when I will run out of powder or primers, and when I should plan another casting session to fill in gaps in my bullet inventory. It even gives me an up to date estimate of my cost per round and is also up to date on how many rounds have been fired in each firearm since I started keeping records.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Interesting thread. There are many ways to "skin that cat". I believe that whatever way you use is better than no way.

Logging - first and foremost - HAS TO BE FUN. It cannot be "a chore". Start with just a few notes and go from there. Nothing "Earth shattering". No "War and Peace" novel. In due course you will have filled more pages than you would have thought in the beginning.

My bound and lined log book is filled with information that is unique to my calibers, my shooting, my reloading, my casting, my measurements, my photos, and my targets since it is written FOR AND BY ME. It is my aid when I need to remember rather than reinvent the wheel.

Perhaps there are time gaps (lamented) where nothing was logged although "effort" was expended. I even write about those gaps. It is ALL good.

One thing that should be done periodically is to re-READ what you have written. Over time, your log becomes an historical record of your experience in this gun/shooting/casting hobby and it DOES reflect the time line and magnitude of your experimentation, hypothesis formed, frustrations, failures, successes, satisfaction, and much more.

Try to read some else's for an insight into their world - if they will let you...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I use a 3 ring binder and loose paper. That way I can add or remove as needed and change the order as desired. I rarely have ever had more than one gun in the same chambering so each section is both gun and caliber specific. It will include info on the gun such as which springs get replaced and where I purchased it, when it was made and the like. Also I cut targets and add if they are of interest, usually I keep a target from each factory load of ammo I test too. I do this with the 22 and my centerfire.

For rifle data I segregate into lots and keep a record of each time fired with the load, then I have a separate sheet with what I've tried and the results as to whether the gun and or shoulder liked it.

I keep a page on the gun with any problems, such as a jamming, or leading, or whatever.

Also I keep a section with any reloading anomalies such as scratched cases and what I try to remedy it.

I don't do it with all guns, just depends. Got nothing for my shotgun.

I keep also a page for each mould, what it likes and such. Then a page on the resultant bullets, loads I've tried and results.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    I just cast my first batch of the year the other day, need to finish hitek coating it.
    I am starting my casting log with it today.

Also has some problems with my AR, finally found the problem.
    Broken extractor pin.
    Replaced the bolt with the one from my pistol.
    Shoots great and brass now piles up in a perfect pile at my 5 o’clock.
    The gun used to eject forward and to the side, leading me to now believe that it was never right.
    I wish I had kept a better log on shooting it.
    Or had more experience with ARs and had noticed the ejection pattern.

So I am also going to start my firearm log.

And add info about primer strikes and ejection pattern to the log.

Log all failures, cleaning dates etc.
    Maybe even get better at keeping track of round count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I save targets shot with all info of the loads on them .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12