Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record keeping- Reloading / Shooting / Casting Log

Boolit Master

Record keeping- Reloading / Shooting / Casting Log

What do you use for your record keeping?
    And what are you logging?

I am on a mission to improve my record keeping.

I have been using a spreadsheet to keep track of my reloading, set up a sheet with all my reloading data on it, print it out and put it in a binder before starting to reload.

Then print out labels for each box of ammo

It would be a decent system if I kept up with it, but I have a bad habit of making new files instead of just adding a new sheet to the existing file which makes for a messy file directory.

And writing notes in my binder, but never transferring them to my computer.

Also writing shooting notes in my binder if I remember to take it to the range with me, otherwise I take notes on whatever is handy and never add them to my log or just don't take notes at all.

My first step will be to create a list of procedures for documenting my reloading.
    I already have checklists for setting up to reload and cleaning up after reloading, with lots of hand written notes on them since I have never update the list on my computer.
    Starting to see a pattern here.

Also I wish to add a maintenance log for my press and a log for casting/coating. And better labeling of my brass processing. I just got bit today by some trimmed, reamed, chamfered UNSIZED 5.56, must have gotten 2 cans mixed up together while processing brass last year.

Last year I had a lot of issues-
    troubles with my press, a dillon 550 that just needed a little TLC and some parts, now better (thanks Dillon), but I just found a few more things I should update/replace.

Troubles with casting, range scrap with a weird contaminant, a batch of range scrap that was so soft even 45acp cases were sizing down boolits. They finally air hardened enough after 2-3 months to be ok. I water dropped some and they hardened up enough in a week or so. I really don't know how long things took since I never kept good notes on my casting. And this was before I pencil tested anything, actually the reason I finally bought a set of pencils.
    Issues with Hitek not curing properly, i have a few ideas what was happening but once again without proper logs I am just guessing now.

Had issues with feeding in my XD45, turned out the chamber was filthier than I have ever gotten it. I finally realized that I had been running recluse lubed bullets due to my Hitek Issues and since it had been a few years since using recluse lube I had used about 10 times too much, no wonder the gun was a filthy mess.

Nothing major, but enough little issues to take some of the fun out of reloading/casting.

I haven't reloaded or cast all winter, just reloaded a batch of 45acp last night and a test batch of 5.56 today.
    And hope to cast this weekend.

So while doing all this I will be starting a new binder and trying to update my logging procedure.

I will try to update this thread as I go along.
    Last edited by mjwcaster; 03-15-2019 at 01:50 AM.

Boolit Master
    Ammo box labels-
    I use recycled factory ammo boxes for pistol ammo, need to get boxes for 5.56, I have just stored that bulk for now.
    As I reload a batch I place it in a coffee can with a hand written label (I keep extra labels in my reloading binder)

After finishing a batch-
    Random plunk test a few rounds per batch (already tested dummy rounds when setting up)
    Visually Inspect each round and place in plastic tray.
    Label boxes
    Insert trays into boxes.
    This order helps keep me from putting ammo into unlabeled boxes, or worse yet boxes that I have my own labels already on from another batch.
    After boxing I have an accurate count of rounds loaded that I then add to my reloading log (or should add at least).

Label Data-

Caliber
    Powder Charge - 5.4gr Universal
    Bullet type- Brand/weight/diameter if commercial or mold if cast- lee 425-230TC
    Alloy- RS-3b (Range Scrap pencil tested 3b)
    Lube- Recluse-(RL), HiTek(HT)
    Primer type
    OAL
    Date

So a typical label would look like-

45 ACP
    5.0gr Universal
    Lee 452-230-TC RS / RL
    Win LPP / 1.18 OAL
    3/13/19

Looking at it I should change my HiTek abbreviation, it could be confused for Heat Treat which I normally don't do, but did once last year.

Other than that I am fairly happy with my ammo box labeling procedures.
    Just need to stay on top of things, I am labeling an boxing up a batch tonight that has been in a coffee can since last year.
    And I also need to separate batches of ammo loaded by cast boolit batch.
    I normally just grab the next coffee can of boolits during a reloading session and keep going, after last year ammo batches will be separated by casting batch also.
    Last edited by mjwcaster; 03-15-2019 at 01:16 AM.

Boolit Master
    Reloading Checklist-
    This is my personal reloading checklist, complete with little love notes.
    While specific to my Dillon 550, most of it is generic.
    It is formatted nicer as a table in a word document.
    Printed out and kept as the first page in my reloading log.

-------------- Reloading setup -----------
    Clean off bench, all odds and ends, powder, bullets, primers etc.
    Clean press, blow off primer slide, turret.
    Set out reloading notebook.
    Pick out load data
    Verify load data against sources.
    Set up press for load- change tooldhead/priming system.
    Remember to loosen set screw for shellholder change.
    Label powder measure with load data- caliber/bullet/OAL/powder charge
    Cycle Powder measure a few times to verify its fully empty
    Pick bullets- check weight, type, sized, lubed
    Pick cases- check cleaned, sorted, prepped
    Pick Primers- Check Primer type, log type and lot number in log, double check type (sr/sp)
    Load dummy round, check OAL/crimp
    Plunk Test / Gauge / check actual feeding in firearm
    Pick powder from cabinet. Make sure there is no other powder in reloading area.
    Double check powder type- READ THE FREAKING CAN, DUMMY!!!
    Fill powder measure- Set on small charge. Visually verify powder properties against log.
    Set powder charge
    Check powder charge with 10 charges
    Fill Primer Tube / double check primer type / check primer feed with 10 primers first.
    Make sure primer flip tray isn't sitting over the edge of the bench, DUMMY!
    Start Loading- Inspect the first few rounds off the press

Boolit Master
    I even have a checklist for cleanup, much shorter list.

----- Reloading Cleanup ---------
    Cleanup-

Empty powder measure- Dump into powder can. Visually verify powder in can and measure look the same first.
    Replace PM and run a few cases to verify completely empty.
    Put powder away
    Empty primer system (if needed)
    Put primers away
    Put cases away, making sure to put lid on container.
    Put bullets away
    Clean off press- Blow off and wipe down turret/primer system
    Cover Press

Boolit Master
    My reloading log won't format for posting here easily.
    My log is separated into calibers.
    I keep a separate page for each batch loaded.
    I have the standard data, caliber, bullet, powder charge/lot#, OAL, Crimp type/measurement, Brass, Primer.

I also have the relevant load data from various manuals on each log page, as many recipes as I can find, including source info such as Lyman #48 p 397 or Hodgdons website / date.

And copies of the actual pages printed/copied from the manual/website in each calibers chapter so I can easily verify my load data. In this game I rely on check, check double check as much as possible and a simple typo can be disastrous.

I am adding a visual description of the powder to each log. Not perfect but it will help to verify I have the correct powder.

And a powder weight table for 10 throws, ie 2.3, 4.6, 6.9 etc.
    This way I don't have to think while checking my powder throws (10 times) and can verify each throw is progressing accurately.

Both of these things I have been writing on my log pages, but have never made it back to the computer. Hey, at least I am consistent.

Boolit Master
    I use a real paper notebook. I enter data very simply in sequential order listed by the date of operation. I just write down what I did, in so many words. Then i label the ammo with the date.

If i made the same thing recently, i will only record minimal info such as caliber, bullet style and weight, and power charge. But anytime I make a change it should get recorded. So if I have a lot of ammo with a date on it, I should be able to work backwards through the book to know primer type and lot number, powder charge and lot number, dies, powder dispensing method, and be able to verify OAL by finding previous entries for that caliber to look for the last change.

Boolit Master
    For those with multiple guns chambered for one cartridge, do you use separate pages/folders in your notebook or spreadsheet?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    For those with multiple guns chambered for one cartridge, do you use separate pages/folders in your notebook or spreadsheet?
    That is a good question.
    I need to start a shooting log. I also think I will use the date loaded as my lot# for my ammo, maybe with a number added if I load more than 1 batch per day.

I also think I will start keeping targets in my shooting binder with standard info, date, time, distance, wind/temp. I normally use self printed targets so keeping them in the binder would be as easy as punching holes in them.

At least for rifle work, which I need to do more of.

My pistol shooting is more short distance (20-25 yard) breaking clays or shooting steel, but I would like to start accuracy testing at 50yds (closest I can shoot from a bench).

Boolit Master

I've recorded every round I've ever reloaded since I started this obsession in 1981. At first it was simply basic info; caliber, case, powder, primer, bullet, and # of rounds, and really just to track how many I loaded. I would add a note now and then if the round had a specific attribute (accuracy, feeding issue, pressure indicators, etc.), either good or bad.
    One of the many things I've learned after joining this board is how my system was wholly inadequate and really didn't tell me much. So now, I try to be as detailed as possible on load particulars and take pictures of exceptionally good targets to add to my data. I wish I had the motivation to sit down and create a spread sheet so using key word/meta data, I could quickly search my now mountain of records.
    Maybe after I retire?
    Semper Fi.

Std typing paper folded across the short way to make the beginning of a pamphlet. Each rig gets it's own. Then use it as a journal, documenting every bit of info that rig needs to be fed.

Oklahoma and Idaho - and not depending on the weather.
    Should I say "I can empathize" or just "I resemble that remark".

Same here, but on startup I included notes on target performance and if I chronographed the particulars as well, and got pictures too and believe it or not I've scrutinized them many a time before filling the boxes in that calibers cubbyhole again. Notes certainly have got more meaningful over time. Sometimes when I look back to my startup entries I think 'jeeze, what good was that info'?

I do say 'empathize' though because any more I wonder 'WHY? Is it just because you are that dang OCD'? Oh well, sometimes you just got to wear it.

My stuff is in Excel so that tells you I have not been doing it as long as you. I got out in 76 and didn't know what a spreadsheet was then. Lot of data when you have a lot of calibers.

Semper Fi back at You Brother!
    Best Regards,
    John

Boolit Master
    I just use 5 subject notebooks with each section dedicated to one gun. A quick sketch of the targets with some notes on the right side of the page and I don't save anything to the computer. That way I force myself to Never Forget to Put the notebooks In The Range Bag.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    My logbook is made from pages on an excel spreadsheet I made up. They are stored in a loose leaf notebook with sections for each caliber. I keep track of the particulars of cast bullets on a separate page within each caliber. I keep track of weight as cast, bhn (lee tester) lube and/or PC and sized diameter. I refer to the bullets with simple numbers...in the load data page.
    I use a column with a code for the gun in question. I have 4 .223R/5.56 rifles. Savage Heavy barrel (HB) Savage model 11 (sav) AR (AR) Ruger Mini-14 (rug).
    I don't try to keep up with the information on the computer I write it in ink in the note book. Each load is numbered sequentially. I use a piece of masking tape with the number of the load, number of rounds and date in each box of loaded ammo. I keep another piece of tape with the number of times the brass has been fired taped inside the lid as well.

Boolit Grand Master

I designed a spreadsheet years ago, long before everyone could download stuff like that off of computers. I have them laid out by caliber and sometimes the individual gun. It has case brand, primer, powder type and charge, bullet type and weight and a section for notes. The note section covers group size, pressure signs, muzzle blast, seating depth, ect. I keep them in a 3 ring notebook.

My biggest problem is remembering to log the stuff that is loaded with my pet loads. I do pretty good with new loads.

Boolit Grand Master

I have two versions. One paper and one digital. The paper one is separated by firearm. The digital is by caliber only. Train being it’s easy to search the digital version to find the gun I’m looking for. It keeps things more organized this way.

Every load gets its own serial number. Today would be 2019-03-15-01 to start. Subsequent loads get 02+ as the last digits. There is no way to have duplicate serial numbers this way. The number is easily searchable in the digital logbook. I keep a sheet at the front of the paper version with the serial numbers and firearm it was for.

Completed rounds are either placed in a ammo can which is labeled, label maker, with the serial number and pertinent info. Usually bullet, OAL, primer and charge weight. A piece of paper is placed I the ammo can w/ the same info. Or they’re put into MTM ammo boxes. Serial number and pertinent info is again applied w/ a label maker.

I’m not the best and keeping any other data than this. I find it’s just clutter. If it doesn’t pertain to the gun or load I don’t write it down.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    What do you use for your record keeping?
    And what are you logging?

I am on a mission to improve my record keeping.
    Something to consider;

Click on red links
    Precision Firearm and Load Records:

Precision Ballistics

Precision Cartridge Box Labels

And much, much, more
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master
    I simplify things by recording data on my phone at the range, then transfer interesting data to log book when I get back home. Can take pics of targets and mail them to my self for future ref. Works for me. Also ladder test recorded on I pad or Phone from Chrono. When it works, if not, just jot down on back of extra targets. Then adj. power or coal, back in the reload room. You have to keep your mind on it, or the fun part will take over and you will for get what your learning.

For me I make up index cards that you use for cooking recipes and the box with the tab cards to mark for what it is for. Like one tab will be for 38 Spl and then another for 357 mag and so on. Then on the card I would write on the top 38 spl. then to the far right if it for cast the size to size the boolit to and then on the next line What cal bullet is used and then cast boolit and state cast or jacket bullet is use and make and then to the far right the OAL
    then the powder make and how much
    Primer the size and make
    notes if need to have .
    Then put it in the box under the tab. If it there is different guns that is need different data for the same cal. I color code the card and on the tab card I have it wrote of the gun and the color for the data on the card because I just use a sharpy marker for the ID of each gun also use the same color for the mark on the primers to know what one it is for. Then when I want to load some ammo I look for the card and the bullet and then got from there.That way do not have any paper or computer to depend on. all on cards. Works for me. I also keep the test sheets of when I test ammo out of how each powder and load that is used that I shot into in a different folder. to use if need to check or what was tested .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Any method that works for you is the right one. It can be a hand written notebook, a spreadsheet or a relational database. All of them will work if you record the data. None of them will work if you don’t record the data.

I happen to be on the far end of the relational database end of the scale, but I also agree with those who use a spiral notebook. I spent years keeping track of and analyzing data in the two businesses that my wife and I started. That provided accuracy in estimating and told us what areas to forget and what areas to develop.

I started reloading after I retired about five years ago. My hobby database has been continually evolving over that time. These are the general areas I keep track of and there are many other tables to keep related component information. My wife calls this my science project. Only a small percentage of reloaders will be interested in the detail level of my data.

Firearm: Brand, Model, Barrel Length, Caliber, Slug Diameter, Weight, Serial Number, Date Purchased, Purchase Price, Current Blue Book Value & Notes

Alloy: Component Source, Batch Weight, One Week BHN, Batch Cost, Amount of Tin, Weight Remaining, Cost per Pound & Notes

Bullet: Mold Used, Bullet Type, Bullet Weight, Alloy Batch, Bullet Lube or PC, Date Cast, Number Cast in Batch, Bullet Cost, Bullet Diameter & Notes

Loaded Ammo Batch: Date Loaded, Caliber, Number of Rounds, Brass Batch, Number of Times Brass Loaded, Primer Used, Powder Used, Powder Charge Weight, Powder Meter Setting, Bullet Used, Intended Firearm, COAL & Notes

Range Reports: Firearm, Date Fired, Distance, Type of Sight, Type of Rest, Load Batch, Average Group Size, Average Velocity, Extreme Spread, Standard Deviation & Notes

Boolit Grand Master

I keep a separate journal for each of my guns with notes on weather conditions, wind, powder, etc.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast