Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

View Poll Results: Which company do you think makes the best/most consistent smokeless powder? Any why?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hodgdon

22 22.92%
  • Accurate

6 6.25%
  • Alliant

30 31.25%
  • IMR

9 9.38%
  • Vihta Vuori

22 22.92%
  • Winchester

3 3.13%
  • Norma

1 1.04%
  • Other

3 3.13%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which powder companies tend to make the best smokeless powder?

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    At this point I’m seriously considering getting rid of all firearms that aren’t 9mm, 223/5.56 and 308/7.62. There’s the old saying about “beware the man w/ one gun.” That would really simplify reloading/casting.
    But, what about when you REALLY need to take out the 44 magnum wheel gun and blow the bejesus out of some watermelons?
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    But, what about when you REALLY need to take out the 44 magnum wheel gun and blow the bejesus out of some watermelons?
    Don’t own a 44 mag and never will.

Boolit Master
    Which powder (or anything else) maker is 'best"? Well, IF there was such a beast it would have long ago taken the entire market and the others would only be a distant memory. ???

Banned

I did the caliber/cartridge reduction
    9mm, .357, .308, 12 gauge and .223
    Got rid of .380 ACP, .45 Colt, ,45 ACP, and .45/70
    Now added those back, as well as 10 mm, ACC 300 BO and .458 SOCOM
    12 is the sweet spot for me right now
    But thinking that I should add one of these: .338 Lapaua, 416 Barrett, 50 BMG, or 20 mm
    Also thinking .338 Federal
    Probably will hit 15 +/-
    And then go back to .45 ACP, .357 Mag, .223, .308, and 12 gauge
    Who knows
    Alliant Red Dot/Promo, Unique, Blue Dot, 2400, RL7, RL15 and call it a day.
    In the end, just a 12 gauge and some Unique.
    That is how I will go out.
    Last edited by jmort; 03-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.

The best would be the one I use, but I'll take that secret to the grave. Don't want you guys making a run on them and causing me a shortage.

I don't think there really is a best, more like what suites your needs. I voted VV because they tend to be super uniform across the spectrum but almost twice the cost so that has to be factored in for competition shooters that shoot a lot.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

My #1 stocked powder is Alliant Red Dot and Promo. I know I have over 30 lbs stashed.
    #2 is IMR 4895. Mostly used for my Yugo SKS. Probably 3.5 lbs total.

From there its all singles with a couple of doubles. I'm sitting on a couple of cans of IMR 3031 just because I can. And because it can be used in so many rifles.

There are maybe another 12-15 lbs of various single containers. Like a pound of both Blue Dot and Green Dot, just cause. A bit of Unique, Bullseye. Some odds and ends the neighbors showed up with.

But I am primarily a Red Dot shooter. And I have no no real reason in the last 5 years to change. For me it fits. YMMV.

Boolit Buddy

I did not vote. I believe this is like chasing a ghost. All brands are held to tight tolerances.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master

No point in voting as there is no one best. There are a few that are very versatile and those are worth having. Unique, 2400, H4985, Bullseye, Red Dot and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. It would be easier to say I could get by with just one powder than it would to pick just one powder distributor. I don't load a lot of Unique but if I had to use just one powder it would work in all of my handguns and it would work for cast boolits in rifles at reduced velocities.

Alliant produces a lot of versatile powders but I think I have mostly Hodgdon and Winchester at the most suitable for my proposes.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Mold
    Another " What's the Best thread"

Banned

You just got here.
    Why not slow your roll?
    Don't like it, don't read it, then we are all happy.

I'm just glad there are powders on store shelves again.

My shelf is full of allient, hogdon, and winchester powders.
    also have some TAC
    western powders are harder to find in the midwest.

guess I don't really have a favorite brand.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

My favorites right now are the freebies at a friend's house. He's been hitting estate sales and buying mixed lots that have included quite a bit of rifle powder. He mostly reloads for pistol and already has a favorite rifle load.
    He's got enough to keep me plinking for several years at least. 😁
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Boolit Master
    Which powder companies tend to stretch the truth as to what MV you’ll achieve with their smokeless powder when loaded to their published load recipes.

Boolit Grand Master
    The ones I use all seem to be good.
    Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master
    Over the past 40 years I've used some from all except Norma and VV. Never really found a 'best'. They all work well depending on what your goal is.

I've known about the common powder mfg's for a while, and the rebranding process. Happens a lot, not just with powders.

I have used Varget for a while now and I like the lower sensitivity to temperature extremes. And Hogdon seems to be applying some of the same technique to other powders in their inventory (H series and IMR series). The question is, are there other powders that are blended in the same fashion? For example, do AA2520 and AR2208 have the same lower sensitivity to temperature extremes as does Varget?

Boolit Master
    I think all of the companies produce a good product, if not then they won't be around very long. I am currently using Allaint Sport Pistol in 9 mm very consistant and IMR 700 X in .45 ACP.

Boolit Buddy
    I think Hodgdon/Winchester/IMR has the most extensive and user friendly online reloading data so that makes them tops in my book. Accurate/Ramshot has pretty good and has comprehensive data as well but it is listed by cartridge in a PDF.

Pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, but it seems like such an easy thing to do if you already have the data. To me it seems to indicate that you want to help your customers and it gives me another set of load data to compare my manuals with.
    Last edited by kenton; 06-21-2020 at 08:40 PM. Reason: wrong word
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Buddy

Cool

Here is the Western Powder (Ramshot/Accurate) loading manual with data listed by cartridge, just like every other powder maker...

https://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/u....0-Web-REV.pdf

Boolit Buddy
    Have you tried Hodgdon's site? You can break down the information based on what calibers, powders, and bullet weights you want to see. Some people may not like it but I assume those are the kind of people who would rather look stuff up in the old paper McMaster Carr catalog than use their amazing website.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

(PS You are right I don't know why I said powder instead of cartridge. I went back and changed it.)
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast