Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 300 AAC Brinnell hardness needed

Boolit Mold

300 AAC Brinnell hardness needed

I am currently shooting berry 220 gr copper coated bullets along with 10.6gr of H4198 for a subsonic load in 300 AAC.

Plan on casting 230gr soon in LEE mold then powder coating with Smokes black

My first thought is low velocity load so Brinnell of 12 (wheelweights) would be plenty but after reading more I see this little load will produce pressure around 20,000 and hardness needs to be higher.

I have plenty of linotype, magnum shot, tin, wheelweight ingots.....just need help figuring out what hardness to make boolitz.

My current thought is half ww half linotype and water quench....just a WAG on my part though...I do not want dem boolitz ANY harder than they need to be.

HELP

Vendor Sponsor

You may get the hardness you need with wqww.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I am running 94/3/3, so hardness somewhere around 15. I am able to shoot them in an AR at 1800fps with no leading. I powder coat most, but have shot several without PC. I suspect with a gas check that most decent alloys would be fine and at that weight, you are going to be in subsonic land and may even be better off.

Boolit Mold
    I shoot 12-14 bhn chronograph at 1750 powder coated and no leading at all

50/50 WW/Pb should be fine. 1:7 I assume. GC or PB? I shot 30/30 super 185gr GC - 1% Sb. worked fine. Biggest problem will be gas cutting of the base. PC will stop that. IIRC that Lee mould is a pita due to the BT design. I use WQWW in my BO and run them in the 50K psi range.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I use 90/10 COWW and linotype and PC for my 245 gr 300 BLK. The main reason I want to harden them a little is to keep them from bending or otherwise deforming during the feed cycle. Even then I have to feed the first round slowly. After the first round is loaded I have no feeding problems but that is a long boolit sticking out front. I load just under 10 grains of H110 for 1000 fps.

Boolit Master

Many have had poor results with these bullets. (Self included)

I cast them to BHN 10-12 and 14-16 and even pure lino.

I was quite enthustiatac about them and cast a PILE. Then powder coated. Try as I might, thru FIVE different guns and 6-7 powders and double that in loadings. Best accuracy I was able to get was about 2” @ 50 yards. Most there allot worse.
    Know that A couple of these barrels will shoot honest 1/2 moa with supers.

I have had good results with a 165 gc cast spitzer bullet.

If tou would like pm me and for the shipping cost Ill send ya some to try.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw