Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Remlin 336cst 357 magazine no load?

Banned

Remlin 1894 cst 357 magazine no load?

Customer brings in a Remlin. 1894cst . He stated loaded Ok 9 rds,then 5- then 4 -then could only get 1 in magazine.

Hornady ftx ctgs.

Ok I try to load one in second one stops short. It seems the rim of first case is catching on the inside lip/gap where.mag tube meets receiver.

I grab other manufacturers,Fiocchi loads,HSM cowboy lead swc loads great.

So I measure the rims. All measurements are.appx here. Hornady is like .4345.
    HSM .4005
    FIO .4335

To the phone to call the Remington tech support.
    Tech states yes their is an issue. The gun will run Federal blue box and REM green no problem.

Owner tells shop owner he wants to shoot hogs get some Sig 357 , Hornady Critical defense.

I go in today nothing he wanted would load.

I do not know if the owner Youtube'd an expert on let's makes this cool repair.

If it was pawn shop deal?!

You can't see any other lip or gap that catches the rim.

Any of you guys run into the mag loading issues?

Thanks in advance
    Bill
    Last edited by Black Powder Bill; 03-15-2019 at 10:06 AM.

I've never seen a 336 in 357 Sig LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I've never seen a 1894 in .357 Sig either.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I believe he was referring to 357 magnum ammunition loaded under the SIG name.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 380AUTO View Post
    I believe he was referring to 357 magnum ammunition loaded under the SIG name.
    Yes I am, Sig started loading cartridges a few years ago. They have a whole line of fancy Jwords

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Pull the magazine tube and polish the inside chamfer. It should accept all brands of .38Special or .357Magnum cartridges. Something’s fishy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Pull the magazine tube and polish the inside chamfer. It should accept all brands of .38Special or .357Magnum cartridges. Something’s fishy.
    I have been doing that. Their was no chamfer what so ever. Really poor fit and finish.

The mag tube and frame should meet up nice and tight. This hunk of junk has a gap from the receiver to the tube. Even the follower is off center.

Is it going back...or is it your next project? If it’s brand new that’s grounds for return fur shur.

Banned

Is it going back...or is it your next project? If it’s brand new that’s grounds for return fur shur.
    It's a customer's, so I don't know how old it is. Guys get these great deals. SMH

It appears new.

Remlin tech said to use different cartridges & recommend two, I passed that on. Owner wants to shoot hogs with self defense ammo.

IMO: Every Marlin with the Remington logo needs returned!

I had to fix a brand new 336 a few years back and that was a long week. I'm spoiled by the old ones but I hope Remington squares the new ones away. Even with cheaper wood and metal finish, it would be ok if it functions and is accurate.

Boolit Master
    Couple things may help. On the mag tube see if the end that is in the receiver has any sharp edges. If so break the edges with some silicon carbide paper or slightly flare the end. Could use the end of a ball pein hammer setting on the end of the nag tube and use another hammer to slightly flare it. Have about 4-5 of the older marlins that so far haven't given me any problems. Why is it that the buyer of new lever actions like marlin end up being their own product tester and quality control?. Frank

Never hit a hammer with another hammer or some hardened metal. They can shatter! I carry a piece of an easyout in my arm. Was tapping the easy out in a drilled broken off bolt in an engine block when the hammer head broke into pieces.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Banned

Samari46,

Products now days, it seems corporations have cut QC ran to JIT then flipped backwards for lean six sigma.

It's cheaper to let the customer tell you how to fix the problem than to keep employees to do it.

Microsoft is a champion of bad product repaired by the consumer.

Oh I spent yesterday afternoon, disassemble,sand,grind, look ,load ,cuss. Disassemble ect.....

Bill

Boolit Master
    When 6 Sigma is properly used it is far superior to mere QC.
    6 Sigma is statistical process control and at worst produces only 3.4 defective parts per million.

the widely accepted definition of a six sigma process is a process that produces 3.4 defective parts per million opportunities (DPMO).

I can tell you it works. I have put the program into place at 2 different companies.
    All defects were coded by the QC and the workers no matter who found the defect.
    All the defects were reported into a daily data base. The top defects each day were worked on until the root cause of the defect was permanently eliminated for all part family members. One that defect was gone a new top defect would be the next target.

The "in process inspection" is really measurement of critical feature done by the operators not QC. The operators alone are responsible for their own quality. Once the charted statistical data started running toward the control limits corrective action was taken before defects were made. All QC did was monitor what was going on now and then. Eventually as the processes were improved OC had nothing to do because there were no bad parts being made. So quality became basically free. QC was still required for audit and medical regulatory requirements but they no long were much more than a rubber stamp function.

Scrap typically went from about 15% of production to about .4% of production. Companies make a lot more money because they do not throw away all that scrap or have to rework it. Old companies and that includes gun companies have old line entrenched managers who are most interested in protecting their jobs a few more years until they can retire. Most are not inclined to learn about nor put out the effort or take the risk to do something as radical as 6 Sigma. Their old backward thought processes and laziness keep them from investing 6 months to a year of hard work to put 6 Sigma and statistical process control into practice.

To fix an old company with a rotten culture requires eliminating people that do not sign on for the fix or who act as a barrier to change. If the rot runs deep closing the factory and opening a new site in a different location with mostly new people may be the only cure. When you have 150 years of bad management practice, poor labor attitudes and sorry tooling and processes it takes a lot of time, money and hard work to turn the company around. I suspect that is Reminton's problem with the old Marlin junk plus Remington's own old backward system.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Powder Bill View Post
    Samari46,

Products now days, it seems corporations have cut QC ran to JIT then flipped backwards for lean six sigma.

It's cheaper to let the customer tell you how to fix the problem than to keep employees to do it.

Microsoft is a champion of bad product repaired by the consumer.

Oh I spent yesterday afternoon, disassemble,sand,grind, look ,load ,cuss. Disassemble ect.....

Bill

Last edited by EDG; 03-16-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    EDG

Banned
    I would think that gunsmiths would love the new Remlins as a steady source of income.

Boolit Master
    I've never seen a 336 in 357 Sig LOL

Nor a 336 in 357.

Boolit Master
    When I suggested that using the ball end of a ball pein hammer and hitting the face with another hammer whacking the hammer with another one was the last thing I had in mind. All you have to do is gently tap each hammer to flare the end of the mag tube. Perhaps I should have mentioned that in the first post. Or if the OP has access to a lathe that has a center in the tail stock is chuck the mag tube in the chuck suitably protected with some thing to avoid messing up the mag tube finish and run the tail stock center into the open end of the mag tube and gently flare it. Frank

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    Nor a 336 in 357.
    I made a typo read the rest of my post.
    Then again some never knew Sig manufactured ammo.

Banned

Flare out... Not possible the Tube OD just slides in the receiver port. Also me thinks the steel may crack if flared cold.

I have polished,reamed,ground trimmed spring a tad.
    It is getting better just needs more work.
    This coming Tuesday is another day.
    I have access to all kinds of machines.