Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Down'n Dirty 4th {5th?} World Slug Mold.

Boolit Master
    Don't the arrows play a huge deal in how well a bow shoots? So if you have a long bow and perfect modern arrows you are better off than the poor guy in the amazon shooting sticks he got from that tree over there and tied some feathers to?
    Rule 303

Boolit Master

yes, the spine (flexibility) of an arrow need to match the draw weight of the bow so that it will bend around the bow upon release, phenomenon called archers paradox. Actually a modern carbon arrow would be a poor choice for a primitive bow with no shelf, the arrow shot off the knuckle or tiny rest. They would likely be too stiff. Arrow wood needsto be harvested and dryed, smoothed and matched. There are many factors in making good equipment, an art and craft. Not everyone could do it but some spectacularly. See Persian bows, english longbows, flatbows etc.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    yes, the spine (flexibility) of an arrow need to match the draw weight of the bow so that it will bend around the bow upon release, phenomenon called archers paradox. Actually a modern carbon arrow would be a poor choice for a primitive bow with no shelf, the arrow shot off the knuckle or tiny rest. They would likely be too stiff. Arrow wood needsto be harvested and dryed, smoothed and matched. There are many factors in making good equipment, an art and craft. Not everyone could do it but some spectacularly. See Persian bows, english longbows, flatbows etc.
    This goes to the heart of my point above that in many regions, really effective bowmaking materials and skills to make them are lacking. One might also not that some cultures rely on the addition of toxins to improve the effectiveness of their bows.

Boolit Master
    As a hobby Bowyer, I can testify that a bow doesn't need to be anything special,but the arrows, you need to put some time in those! A well-made bow won't shoot worth a darn with bad arrows, but a mediocre bow can shoot surprisingly good groups with well-matched and high-quality arrows.

Boolit Buddy
    When I was a teenager back in the 1970's my parents would only buy me #7 field loads for my 20 gauge with a full choke. I would make slugs just like those for groundhog killing. I cast them in oak and would split the board once I cast them and they cooled. I would place them back in the shotcup wrapped in toilet paper to sort of center them. The snow from the toilet paper was always fun to watch. These would take a groundhog at 35 yards often enough that it wasn't futile. My .22 rifle had a bent barrel and was completely shot out.

I also harvested 00 buck from spray paint cans from the dump. 3 pieces of shot per can. I'd spend all dang day to make 4 shells digging through the neighbors trash to get enough shot. Rustoleum changed to metal rivets for spray can agitators and I was out of the 00 buck reloading game.

Quote Originally Posted by DanishM1Garand View Post
    When I was a teenager back in the 1970's my parents would only buy me #7 field loads for my 20 gauge with a full choke. I would make slugs just like those for groundhog killing. I cast them in oak and would split the board once I cast them and they cooled. I would place them back in the shotcup wrapped in toilet paper to sort of center them. The snow from the toilet paper was always fun to watch. These would take a groundhog at 35 yards often enough that it wasn't futile. My .22 rifle had a bent barrel and was completely shot out.

I also harvested 00 buck from spray paint cans from the dump. 3 pieces of shot per can. I'd spend all dang day to make 4 shells digging through the neighbors trash to get enough shot. Rustoleum changed to metal rivets for spray can agitators and I was out of the 00 buck reloading game.
    That's some great stuff!

Too bad on the 00 buck. That's progress for ya!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12