Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Easy Classic Meat Loaf

Vendor Sponsor

Easy Classic Meat Loaf

Made this yesterday, I wanted restaurant/cafeteria style meat loaf where they use bread crumbs to "fill out" the recipe, it comes out softer than the home style with more meat and less filler. I added in a little chopped red bell pepper to add moisture, and snuck a little Sriracha into the glaze for a little kick. This is not my recipe, I printed it from the web and tried it, came out delicious so I am pasting the same recipe here (with my changes edited in):

The Best Classic Meatloaf recipe

This traditional meatloaf recipe is just like mom used to make, made with ground beef and a sweet and tangy glaze topping.
    Prep Time10 mins
    Cook Time55 mins
    Total Time1 hr 5 mins

Ingredients

1 lb. 90% lean ground beef
    1 cup dried bread crumbs
    1/2 cup diced yellow onion
    1/2 cup diced bell pepper
    1/2 cup milk
    1 large egg beaten
    2 tbsp. ketchup
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp. dried parsley leaves
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

For the Topping:
    1/4 cup ketchup
    2 tbsp. packed light brown sugar
    1 tsp. Sriracha
    1 tbsp. red wine vinegar

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
    In a large bowl, add the bread crumbs, onion, bell pepper, milk, egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, worcestershire sauce, parsley, salt, garlic powder, and
    black pepper. Use a large spoon to mush and mix these ingredients together until well combined. Add ground beef and mix until fully combined*
    Add the meat mixture to a loaf pan. Pat the meat down into an even layer.

In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup ketchup, the brown sugar, sriracha, and vinegar. Stir to combine.
    Pour the sauce on top of the meatloaf and spread it into an even layer.
    Bake uncovered for 55 minutes OR until internal temperature in the center reaches 165F.
    Let the meatloaf rest for 8-10 minutes before serving (or it may fall apart).**

Notes
    *Be sure to mix the meat really well. This is a very moist meatloaf recipe so under mixing can cause the meatloaf to be too soft/mushy.
    **I use two thin spatulas to remove the meatloaf from the pan and transfer it to a cutting board. You could also slice and serve the meatloaf directly from the loaf pan, or use parchment paper to line the pan for easy removal.
    Nutrition
    Serving: 1portion = 1/10th of the meatloaf | Calories: 164kcal | Carbohydrates: 14.8g | Protein: 11.7g | Fat: 5.7g | Saturated Fat: 2.2g | Cholesterol: 49.9mg | Sodium: 399.3mg | Fiber: 0.6g | Sugar: 6.7g

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Thanks for sharing that, it sounds and looks great! I copied the recipe and will give it a try ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Moderator Emeritus

Instead of bread crumbs try this. I fill my spice grinder(coffee mill dedicated to spice use) as full as I can get it with oatmeal and grind it to a flour texture. Mix that in well and you end up with a very tender moist meatloaf!

Boolit Buddy
    Cut the moisture down, wrap it in bacon, and put it on the smoker! That makes an awesome meat loaf! All the extra fat drains off.

Also, I like to use 1/2 pork sausage and 1/2 ground beef.

Frank

Boolit Master

Why do people have to put bell pepper in everything anymore. Nobody used it 25yrs ago.

No I can't eat out anymore, unless I want fried chicken or steak. Some people are ALLERGIC.

NO SOUP, STEW, CASSAROLE , HECK THEY EVEN MIX IN THE VEGETABLES.

I'VE BEEN HOSPITALIZED TWICE IN THE PAST 3 YEARS AFTER BEING ASSURED BY WAIT STAFF THAT THERE WAS NO BELL PEPPER IN THE ENCHILADAS.

DO these dumb people understand what an EPI-PEN costs these days. And they expire in a year.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Easy Classic Meat Loaf

Is there any type of meatloaf that doesn’t use bread crumbs? Both my grandmother’s recipes have it in it. Which of course means my mother’s does as well. We use very little. Just enough to keep it all together. A packet of Lipton’s onion soup mix, an egg and some bell pepper is all that’s in it. Simple and easy.

Edited: food allergies suck. I’m allergic to shellfish and like to eat sushi. I always sit at the sushi bar and watch them make it after cleaning it first. I would never want them to stop offering shellfish since I know I’m a very small minority.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 03-14-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Is there any type of meatloaf that doesn’t use bread crumbs? Both my grandmother’s recipes have it in it. Which of course means my mother’s does as well. We use very little. Just enough to keep it all together. A packet of Lipton’s onion soup mix, an egg and some bell pepper is all that’s in it. Simple and easy.

Edited: food allergies suck. I’m allergic to shellfish and like to eat sushi. I always sit at the sushi bar and watch them make it after cleaning it first. I would never want them to stop offering shellfish since I know I’m a very small minority.
    Down in SETX, where our primary crop back in the 50's, 60's and 70's was rice, we use 1/2 cup of cooked rice per pound of meat in our meat loaves. It's quite good, and provides/holds plenty of moisture in the mix. I usually make ours with 1# pork sausage/ 1# ground venison or beef, and 1 cup of cooked rice, plus whatever seasonings you prefer. Same mixture goes in stuffed bell peppers/ cabbage rolls.
    Last edited by gbrown; 03-14-2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Correction
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master

Never had meat loaf w/ rice in it. That’s reserved for stuffed pepper recipes. Have lots and friends and family that won’t eat it if it has rice in it. Using bread crumbs binds everything together to much for stuffed peppers. I will end the thread drift now.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Never had meat loaf w/ rice in it. That’s reserved for stuffed pepper recipes. Have lots and friends and family that won’t eat it if it has rice in it. Using bread crumbs binds everything together to much for stuffed peppers. I will end the thread drift now.
    Understand. Lots of people up north view rice as a breakfast cereal, or for use in puddings. I lived for a year as an 11 yo in Dover, Del. Never had rice served as a starch one time in the school cafeteria. Mentioned it one time to my friends, and they looked at me like I had a big eye in the middle of my forehead. Oops, big mistake!! LOL Down here, its rice and beans, rice and gravy, etc.,etc.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Try smoking a meatloaf its fantastic
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Why do people have to put bell pepper in everything anymore. Nobody used it 25yrs ago.

No I can't eat out anymore, unless I want fried chicken or steak. Some people are ALLERGIC.

NO SOUP, STEW, CASSAROLE , HECK THEY EVEN MIX IN THE VEGETABLES.

I'VE BEEN HOSPITALIZED TWICE IN THE PAST 3 YEARS AFTER BEING ASSURED BY WAIT STAFF THAT THERE WAS NO BELL PEPPER IN THE ENCHILADAS.

DO these dumb people understand what an EPI-PEN costs these days. And they expire in a year.
    Sorry about your allergy but i think you owe the OP an apology for your RANT!

BB

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Try smoking a meatloaf its fantastic
    Now where in hades you expect to find papers big enough?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Tommy Chong probably could help out here.

BB

Banned

isn't that why they make rolls of parchment paper??
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post