RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just made a worthless rifle IMO not so worthless!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Just made a worthless Enfield not so worthless!

I had some rifles for sale here and though I had no buyers I have been asked almost enough questions to fill my mailbox on the Lee Enfield that had a willams peep sight drilled into it. I had a lot of replies telling me it is one I should keep and worth restoring because it looks like an odd duck and might be rare. The receiver is stamped bsa 1907 mk i. Well, I believe I’m taking the advise and going to hold onto it. The thing that deterred me was the drilled and tapped receiver. I watch a Larry potterfield video this morning on how to fill in receiver holes. I used a couple a screws from wall outlet covers. I cut them down, heated them and then flattened them with a ball pine hammer. I then filed them down with a flat file and finished off with some 200 and 600 grit sandpaper. All ready for some cold bluing. I’ll have to order sone tonight or see if gander has any.

All I need is some factory wood, a cut off plate, and a rear sight!

I can tell you my hands are sore and got a workout.

I tried to remove the buttstock today. Soaked the screw in WD 40 and tapped on it while it was in a vise and it’s not comming loose. Same with the screw holding the bolt stop on as you can see. I could at least heat that one if I wanted it out but going to leave it be since nothing is broke.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-13-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm no gunsmith but I've done some minor repairs. You gotta love it when all goes well.
    Nice work!
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Yeah, I’m pretty impressed with myself! Thanks.

Nothing is worthless if you are gaining knowledge and experience from it. I learned more from the most reprehensible person I ever met than everyone else combined. Perfect example of what NOT to do. But I digress.

Giving penetrants time to work and setting things aside while waiting for inspiration to address a problem is a luxury the tinkerer can enjoy that the professional has no time for. Your progress looks good to me. Enjoy the experience!

Boolit Master

Instead of using WD-40 try a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Works MUCH better than WD-40!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Good job. Sometimes it just takes a little intestinal fortitude to just step out and try a job. I have fooled myself before and I think I have plenty of company. james

Boolit Master
    Nicely done!

I figured I didnt have anything to loose since the rifles were basically given to me and since I had no buyers on the Lee Enfield it was worth the gamble to either try to repair or wreck it. Repair I did!

Boolit Master

Very nicely done. It rewarding to have a project come out as nice as that did.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

Nice job! Would like to see more pictures as you progress
    Thank you
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Ill have to head to gander tomorrow and pick up some cold blue. Never tried bluing since I was a kid...and it never worked. Hopefully modern technology has done it justice in the last 35 years since I last tried.

Boolit Master
    I'd use the oxpho from Brownells. Ive used the Birchwood casey and Vans. Oxpho worked the best.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy

That was not a worthless rifle, just not perfect. You did a good job.
    For the screws that won't break free, as mentioned above, try acetone, the solvent may loosen up old varnish or lacquer. Make sure you use a flat ground screw driver that fits the slot perfectly. If you don't have one that fits perfectly, get one. Put a lot of downward pressure on it while trying to twist. If it doesn't break free, twist and tap the end of the handle with a small hammer while twisting. Good luck.

That's a cool project.

The best cold blue I ever found was the stuff Brownell's sells under their own label.
    I've had it come out pretty nice if you warm the project with a 100 watt light bulb,
    and put it on 4-5 times a few hours or so apart.

Something that isn't bad is the gray colored water that comes up when you add too much to cement.
    I had a tool for making the indentation line in between bricks that when I was done had a beautiful bluing job on it.

A little late now, but for filling holes, I've used a allen screw before.
    Set it with locktight to the right depth. Its not flush, but it almost looks like a factory plug for something else that can go there.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Brake fluid is great stuff for freeing seized bolts and things. Just don't get it on your paint work. ATF works pretty well too but doesn't break down rust as well IIRC.

Great job on plugging those holes! I have a rifle with similarly badly aligned screw holes on the other side of the receiver - now I know how to plug them! I happen to have a similar rifle - also a 1907 - with a badly rusted bore that I got to shoot sort of reasonably with oversize paper patched boolits. I had to shorten the barrel considerably. My bush gun or as I call it, my pig gun. How is the rest of your rifle? Mine had the mating charger guide half on the bolt removed when I got it but apart from nostalgia, it would have served no purpose anyway. Besides, I changed the bolt head anyway.

The problem with filling holes with a grub screw is when those holes are visibly out of line. Like the holes on my rifle - three of them. Cement grey water you say? Good tip.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 03-14-2019 at 03:09 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Ill have to head to gander tomorrow and pick up some cold blue. Never tried bluing since I was a kid...and it never worked. Hopefully modern technology has done it justice in the last 35 years since I last tried.
    Tripplebeards,

I have used cold blue with great success after a LONG learning curve. First, DEGREASE the metal and second, have the metal warm to HOT to get a good blue job.

I set up my Coleman camp stove outdoors on my picnic table and heat a big pan of hot soapy water for the degrease bit of the metal parts. I then have a pan of clear water boiling to remove the soap and oil film and to heat the metal parts. The blue takes HARD on the metal parts. After a time I dunk the blued parts into the clear hot water, polish with fine steel wool to remove the slag and apply oil. DONE!

I hope this helps.

Adam

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    I'd use the oxpho from Brownells. Ive used the Birchwood casey and Vans. Oxpho worked the best.
    Likewise! Ever since I tried the Oxpho from Brownell`s I`ve never again tried cold blue solutions.Robert

I ordered some Oxpho blue today. The liquid not the cream. Watched some impressive videos on how well it works. I might have to do the complete rifle. Birchwood is the junk I tried in the past that never really got dark black and still looked see through no matter how many coats I did.

Boolit Master
    B-C ColdBlue has been hit-or-miss for me. I don't use it on guns anymore but I have used it to refinish tools. Doesn't give that 'family heirloom' look but it provides some rust-resistance on ground/polished steel.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I gave up after a day or two of soaking and took it into the LGS to have the screws removed. If I strip them I’ll be in a world of hurt. I’m sure the $5/$20...the most is all he ever charges me will be worth it’s weight in gold.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast