RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with Lee Handles that have split the wood?

I use JB Weld inside the slipping handles and have pretty much decided I'm going to go through an apply to all the handles. The pain in the "other end" of slipping handles would count as minor compared to having a mold drop and hit the concrete floor. Had one slip off when I wasn't watching it closely enough (had a good groove going) fortunately I caught it as it slipped of the end. Also fortunately I was wearing gloves so I didn't brand myself with NOE on my hand.

I debated roll pin. Would take some strain and provide positive attachment. Would weaken the handle a little bit from the holes. In the end I decided to just go with the JB Weld until it proved not up to the task.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    The JB Weld on my oldest handles is cracking from heat where it shows at the mold end but is still holding inside. It's epoxy after all. The Lee sintered steel handles need a cobalt drill bit if you want to pin them, the metal is that hard. An 1/8" pin is half the width of the tangs so I JB Weld too.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I use JB Weld inside the slipping handles and have pretty much decided I'm going to go through an apply to all the handles. The pain in the "other end" of slipping handles would count as minor compared to having a mold drop and hit the concrete floor. Had one slip off when I wasn't watching it closely enough (had a good groove going) fortunately I caught it as it slipped of the end. Also fortunately I was wearing gloves so I didn't brand myself with NOE on my hand.
    Kinda like the pain of dropping your razor sharp kitchen knife and reacting by catching it in mid-air?
    (By the edge of course!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Kinda like the pain of dropping your razor sharp kitchen knife and reacting by catching it in mid-air?
    (By the edge of course!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope, I worked in kitchens in my younger days, I watch whatever it is just fall as I jump back. That mistake of grabbing for a hot pot or falling knife is one you only make once that turns out badly and from then on you just hop back a quick jump and watch if fall. Most important thing is it doesn't land on your foot or splash your pants.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Moderator Emeritus

I was in need of some wooden handles, and after toooo much work and time (I got fancy on my wood lathe), they cracked as I put them on steel. Thinking the situation, I drilled a teeny hole in my wood handles, and inserted maybe 1/4" of copper magnet wire which I got from an old radio's speaker. I mixed and put a few drops of DevCon epoxy in the bored hole, and tapped the front of steel to snug them up. I then painted a very thin coat of epoxy on the outside, and wrapped the magnet wire -- kind of looks like the wrapping on fishing poles for line holders. To be OCD, I then coated the wire wrap with a tad more epoxy, applied with the wooden handle of a Q-tip swab. Bion, they look almost like they were initially made that way , and have yet to loosen or re-crack.
    geo

Boolit Master
    I loop mine with fencing wire and twist it into a tight pigtail. That snugs up the wood and keeps it from splitting any farther. I’ve also used JB Weld but the expansion and contraction eventually loosens it up again.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12