Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Lee Handles that have split the wood?

What to do with Lee Handles that have split the wood?

While I have 6 or 7 sets of Lee handles when one develops a split in the wood I am not going to just throw it away. Maybe I coud get new wood from Lee.

What I did was buy some 7/8's dowl and had a friend end bore 12in sections. I stained 3 sets of them.

Next question - How do you keep them from spliting? Go back to your local hardware store and buy some inline connetors for 3/4in copper pipe. cut it in half and force them on to the bored ends.

Use JB Weld (or similar stuff) to glue them on.

Your set of mold handles is better than new.
    Big Bore = 45+

The process you describe is a good solution.
    I have been fortunate in that I haven't had that particular problem with the handles as yet.

Boolit Master
    What your doing is putting. Farrel on week end, tho I doubt you need to glue on though, just press tight fit.

Boolit Master
    I use JB on my handles as part of my Leementing process before I even use them, I also drill a small hole through handles and put a pin in to keep handles in place. Regards Stephen

Boolit Grand Master

I make the new handles from oak dowels when I drill the one end I turn the end down for a copper end cap and drill the end cap to natch. I drill a larger hole in the handle then epoxy fill and glue on handle this makes a epoxy sleeve in the handle that matches the mould handles also. When cured I drill and install a 3/32 pin thru. Haven't had to fix one a second time.

Banned
    I usually burn up the handles before they split.

Moderator Emeritus

I have yet to split any since I bought the first one in 93. What are you doing in your process?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    In a pinch . . corncobs

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    In a pinch . . corncobs
    You must be one of those rich guys that doesn't have to save them for the outhouse.

Years ago, I knew a guy who welded steel pipe onto the nub when wooden handles
    split and a worm gear clamp wasn't strong enough for them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Sticky boolits in the mold - rapping the pivot bolt. handles start to come off with all the vibration from striking the pivot bolt. At least that i my best guess - also the expanding and contracting when the metal inside the mold gets hot.
    Big Bore = 45+

The only split Lee handle that I've experienced (yet) is the handle on the sprue plate. It was all my fault......it became loose & I should have stopped casting (with that mold) & glued it in place with Marine Tex. Due to my negligence it split.

I relieved the opening for the stub (slightly) & put a liberal coat of Marine Tex on each side, installed the stub, wiped off all excess & held everything in place in a vice with minor pressure. After the 24 hr. drying/curing period & some sanding & some file work to remove some MT that oozed out, the mold was ready to go.

It's been used (properly) many times & is OK. Marine Tex is tough stuff......it can be drilled & tapped.

Henry

Boolit Buddy
    I have made ferrules out of all sorts of round things. I have a collection of round items that I use for projects like this. Curtain rods, ski poles, old metal handled brooms and mops, along with assorted pipes. One man's scrap is another man's treasure!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JM7.7x58 View Post
    I have made ferrules out of all sorts of round things. I have a collection of round items that I use for projects like this. Curtain rods, ski poles, old metal handled brooms and mops, along with assorted pipes. One man's scrap is another man's treasure!
    Pieces of rifle cases work well also; copper pipe, electrical conduit

Banned
    You can get replacement handles (wood) for the 2 and 6 cavity mold from Lee for the price of shipping or you can mail you broken handles to them and they'll send you new ones on their dime.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    You can get replacement handles (wood) for the 2 and 6 cavity mold from Lee for the price of shipping or you can mail you broken handles to them and they'll send you new ones on their dime.
    Good to know I have a few that I need to do this too. Shipping should be cheap too since its only an hour from me.
    --ISO ITEMS--
    Contender super 16 barrels

updated as of April 2023

My feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=Carbine86

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JM7.7x58 View Post
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned the brass from a discarded 12 Ga. hull.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Hmm, most of my bullets just drop out, I must be doing something wrong.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I have started to drill hole and put a small roll pin to hold handle on. As far as splitting one only on an old ladle but must admit it burned half way up before it split.

Never had mold handles split. I've had them fall off while casting (a pain in the other end).
    When I'm done casting I glue them back on with Red RTV.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MGySgt View Post
    While I have 6 or 7 sets of Lee handles when one develops a split in the wood I am not going to just throw it away. Maybe I coud get new wood from Lee.

What I did was buy some 7/8's dowl and had a friend end bore 12in sections. I stained 3 sets of them.

Next question - How do you keep them from spliting? Go back to your local hardware store and buy some inline connetors for 3/4in copper pipe. cut it in half and force them on to the bored ends.

Use JB Weld (or similar stuff) to glue them on.

Your set of mold handles is better than new.
    Got any DIY pics to follow?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast