RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: ar15 buffer tube curve down for custom stock?

Boolit Master

ar15 buffer tube curve down for custom stock?

I know diddly squat about these guns but can a buffer tube be curved down. I don't think the bolt goes back there much and if the spring is loose in tube it should give same absorb and push bolt front to barrel extension?? I have some ideas stirring around in the noggin!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    It would have to be straight for the bolt to not bind. But at the back end if the travel I think you could probably bend it as long as the spring continued to do it's job. It's straight for a reason though.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master

bolt only travels 3" or so back into the tube, however generally round tubes dont stay round when bending as in the case of a tube for a rifle stock, and lord only knows how badly things will bend out of shape with the carbine buffer tube. you might get away with a degree or two of bend if you heat the tube to bend it, but after that, all bets are off as to staying round, or maintaining functionality.

Boolit Master

might be doable with a pistol or carbine buffer as they are short, about 4 inches, but most likely not doable with a rifle buffer as they are longer.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Check out the Aares lower for the AR. It's buttstock profile is the same as the Remington 1100 with a special tailed BCG. I've probably misspelled the name.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 03-17-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Banned

bolt may only go back a couple inches but the buffer has a pad on it for a reason. If you tried it youd surely need to start with a rifle buffer tube because bending one with the block for a retractable stock would be about impossible to do perfectly. Buffer and spring are 90 percent of the tuning you do to an ar. I just cant see it not causing problems. Cool thing is there cheap so your not out much if you have to toss one. so are your going to tell us what your thinking?

Boolit Master
    Sorry Lloyd I was away with family out in New Mexico. I have made numerous wood stocks for my ar and I am trying to get the stock dropped at heel to help make a more comfortable mount for me with a low scope mount. I know this is not what these guns where meant to be but hey, I'm having fun. I have access to seamless pipe so I can bend it with no kinking. I don't have to drop the buffer tube much and now with the input of bolt thrust I know I can pull this off. I have accomplished harder ideas and if it this doesn't work then I have more understanding.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

I would love to see some photos if it works.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Attachment 238367
    Here’s what I did for my AR .45 Thompson build. Turned out ok but the stock is a little long and needs to be shorter. Used jb weld to attach a piece of steel to the bottom of the adjustable buffer tube and then drilled and tapped it for the stock screws. A wood shop cut the mortise for the buffer tube.

Banned

wonder if you could use a pistol buffer tube on the rifle and then weld a longer buffer on the bottom of the pistol buffer and put your stock on the lower tube. You wouldn't be able to retract it all the way in or possibly not at all but the only time I retract mine are to stick them in small cases anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

A riser on the flat top for the scope might be a better option. I made them for mine. raise the scope 3/4" from the original flat top. I also incorporated the mount for my warner rear sight on it and 10 mins elevation in it. Depending on what you use the rifle for these rails are available straight or with up to 20 mins of elevation in them. Another option would be an adjustable butt plate on the stock, these can be very handy to fit rifle for different positions. Mine are adjustable for height cant and length of pull.

Boolit Master
    Lloyd, my thoughts are to start with a pistol buffer.
    Country Gent, I do have some risers I was playing with but wood is warmer to the touch and just looks good for me. Plus its work!
    Look twice, shoot once.