RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trimming straightwalled cases

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    ok. Does anyone just bite the brass a few times around the casemouth?
    Tried that - dont work - I broke a front tooth years ago and got a gold back filling on it - anytime I bite on metal sends lectricity through me tooth - not fun at all !!!!

Boolit Master

So you have a few options. 1)Keep trimming all your brass until no room for powder. 2)Don’t crimp at all. 3)Seat and crimp at the same time (never worked for me). 3)Remember your shortest case and adjust die accordingly. Crimp that load and just don’t bottom out ram for rest. I know nobody believes me but you can (with practice) develop a feel to consistently do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Dieselhorses;4600734]So you have a few options. 1)Keep trimming all your brass until no room for powder. 2)Don’t crimp at all. 3)Seat and crimp at the same time (never worked for me). 3)Remember your shortest case and adjust die accordingly. Crimp that load and just don’t bottom out ram for rest. I know nobody believes me but you can (with practice) develop a feel to consistently do this.

I believe ya !!! been doin it that way all my life - I detest case trimming even more than full length resizing .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieselhorses View Post
    So you have a few options. 1)Keep trimming all your brass until no room for powder. 2)Don’t crimp at all. 3)Seat and crimp at the same time (never worked for me). 3)Remember your shortest case and adjust die accordingly. Crimp that load and just don’t bottom out ram for rest. I know nobody believes me but you can (with practice) develop a feel to consistently do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe ya. In fact my hats off to the guy who develops the touch. I was just being humorous about the built-in torque wrench and thought teeth would be a sort of built-in crimp die. Now if you were claiming to have that touch with a progressive press, then my suspicions would arise.

I disagree with number 1) though. I don't really notice straight-wall brass stretching like bottle-neck does. So I am going to venture a guess that I can trim my brass down to match the shortest of them all then set the crimp die for that, and I will still get very long brass life.

There is also another option - set your crimp for a mid-length case and just crimp 'em all. Yes this will create differing degrees of crimp strength, but that appears to be what a good number of straight-wall revolver case reloaders do. It is what I did for years, that will be changing though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12