WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JES rebore question

Boolit Bub

JES rebore question

JES will rebore a winchester 94 30-30 to 38-55 or 375.What is the difference between the two ?

Boolit Master

Not a whole lot.
    They are basically the same cartridge, but, the 375 operates at higher pressure and velocities and will kick more.
    The 38-55 in modern rifle like the Marlins can be loaded at higher pressure and velocities, but, not as high as the 375.

My choice when I had my Marlin rebored, was the 38-55.
    I'd consider the 38-55 a better choice in your 94.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Also 38 55 brass seems to be a little more available.

I think he would also do .35-30-30 which will be my choice once I get around to packing my WWII era Win 94 up for shipping.

Lets you use existing .30-30 brass, fire form, then reload.
    Dies are however probably more expensive.

Winchester is silly sometimes. They produce a Very High pressure loading of the 38-55; reduce the bullet diameter to .375" build beefed up Win 94s to handle it. One problem- the .375 will fit and fire in the 38-55! Luckily; hopefully the old generous .379" 38-55 barrels will hold that pressure?
    My JES rebore is .375" 3 groove 38-55 and I love it.

Boolit Master
    Yes he will just call Jesse and tell him what you want. He's a pleasure to work with all he needs is your barreled action and a bank money order for 250. Jesse does great work with a fast turnaround time my rolling block was gone 3 weeks from when I left it at the post office to when it was back home. I bet.38-55 is his most popular rebore.

Banned
    JES has done 3 fore me and #4 just was logged in there. Ruger No. 1 from 30-06 to 35 Whelen.

Concur that 38-55 is the way to go.

Hint: if you don't want big "Xs" stamped over the old chamber designation, file it off, polish the area to match the existing finish, and all you'll see is the new 38-55 designation.

Yep, Jes will do the rebore, as it's a fairly common conversion, with no other work required.

I used to fire .38-55's in my 1978 .375 BigBore94 (with Kentucky elevation) as a mid-range loading for close work on Whitetails.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Bub
    I understand the difference between the 38-55 and the 375.What I am asking is what does JES do differently when he rebores the rifle 375 verses 38-55.I had 3 38-55 rebores done by JES recently,but if I ask him to rebore my rifle to 375 how would that be different from my 38-55's?

Boolit Master
    The chamber dimensions are the only difference.

Boolit Grand Master
    As I understand it, to get the benefit out of a .375 Win, you really have to crank up the cartridge. Although the chamber dimensions may be slight, they are important. Like most here, I'm a .38-55 fan.

If you get the .375 Winchester rebore like I did, you can download it to .38-55 specifications, but you can't upload the .38-55 to .375 Winchester specifications. I chose the .375 Winchester rebore for my Marlin 336C, simply because I wanted the option of being able to lot it hot, or not.

Starline is now making .375 Winchester brass, but I have a full factory case of original Winchester brass, so I haven't had the need to try the Starline.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/375-Win/

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I think he would also do .35-30-30 which will be my choice once I get around to packing my WWII era Win 94 up for shipping.

Lets you use existing .30-30 brass, fire form, then reload.
    Dies are however probably more expensive.
    I don't know if this is "proper" but I reload for my 35-30 with 35 Remington dies of the neck sizing variety. I took some time messing with it to get it right, but <$30 for the Lee set versus $175 +/- for the correct dies drove me to give it a try. Seems to function just fine once the cases are formed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Buffalo Bore had an article on their site awhile back explaining that their .38-55 +P load is safe to fire in any .375 WCF or smokeless powder proofed .38-55. Also, they could not find any problems using the brass from both cartridges (but not load data!) interchangeably other than the .38-55 brass was usually more accurate due to placing the boolit closer to the rifling.

I currently have a beater 94 in layaway jail. Has some rust in the bore, so it may be heading to JES after I try it out.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I don't know if this is "proper" but I reload for my 35-30 with 35 Remington dies of the neck sizing variety. I took some time messing with it to get it right, but <$30 for the Lee set versus $175 +/- for the correct dies drove me to give it a try. Seems to function just fine once the cases are formed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    I have wondered how that WOULDN'T work before and I'm glad it works for you. Thanks for sharing.

Very timely question for me. I recently (recently? That was 8 months ago!) bought a JES rebored 375 Win marked 336 Marlin from a gentleman here but have not yet got a roundtoit on ammo. I ordered the long 38-55 (2.125) brass from Starline and it chambers with no problem, so I think I am set for loading but have not slugged the barrel. What size does the group suggest for a 375 marked JES barrel?
    Tony

Here's the article from Buffalo Bore on the topic:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...uct_list&c=175
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Jessie sent a hand written note with load data and the suggestion to use .375" jacketed or .376-.377" cast in my 38-55. I tried as-cast .380" and they would not chamber. I made a .375" sizer from a .17 Remington fl die and a member here made a .377" die for me that works the best. The only boolit I use is the Lee379255F. Life is good. I'd be out shooting it now but grandson is napping and it's too cold out for this old reptile.

Quote Originally Posted by pahermit View Post

What I am asking is what does JES do differently when he rebores the rifle 375 verses 38-55.

I had 3 38-55 rebores done by JES recently,but if I ask him to rebore my rifle to 375 how would that be different from my 38-55's?

Since you're a good customer of his, why not ask him & report what you find out ? .

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Does JES remove the barrel from the rifle to do the job, or does it remain attached? Reason I ask is, my beater 94 has the typical front sight pointing at 1 o'clock like most cheap 94's do. If he was removing the barrel anyway, it would be no special trick to index it correctly afterward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast