Load DataWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: whats your least favorite commonly used cartridge?

Boolit Master

Ya'll making ole Jack grown in his grave with all this 270 Win dislike.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I've often wondered about that one. Seems like a strange pistol caliber to me in a Blackhawk. Anyone have the story as to why Bill just had to offer this one?
    I think at the time there was sooo much surplus ammo floating about that it seemed like a good idea at the time. I myself usually use 32-20 brass and loads, easier on the ears and still just as fun to shoot. OM's cant use the 32-20 brass tho, just the NM's. There are alot of OM's floating around for sale in near new condition because of the noise and flash of using factory ammo. A couple cylinders full would be enough of that for many new users. God help the poor sap who touched one off without ear plugs. lol

Boolit Master
    Hi...

Thought I would chime in here...
    Least favorite for me is 9mm.
    I shoot almost every week and reload a lot of rounds and I just can't warm up to this round.
    I shoot .45ACP, 10mm, .40 S&W quite a bit and shoot enough 9mm to have thousands of pieces of brass on hand but I just don't like the round. I don't use it as a carry round...it is only useful to me as a plinking round at the range to ring steel targets.
    My son reloads for it on my small primer Hornady LnL...he has has several pistols in 9mm, between us we manage to shoot about 500 rounds of 9mm every 6 weeks or so. About the same as any other handgun caliber, but I generally shoot no more than 50-100 rounds of 9mm out of that 500. I generally shoot four times as much .45ACP as 9mm and even more of the revolver cartridges.

Banned

I agree. I do like the 6.5 Grendel though. but because it puts serious 200 yard deer capablilitys in a ar15 sized gun. Ar 10? Make mine a 308.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Now, it's the latest fad. The 6.5 Creedmoor. Can't think of anything it does that a 308 or even a 260 can't do not to mention my old favorite, 6.5 Swede. For over 95% of people out there, it doesn't do anything others can't but that doesn't mean I'm against it. Any new cartridges that get people shooting are good in my book but if someone can tell me something I can't do with a 6.5 Swede or 7mm Mauser that the Creedmoor can I'd like to hear it beside 1,000yrd target practice which most of us don't do anyways.
    I'm also going to go in for all the belted ammo rounds. Can't see any need for them at all but the 300 H&H Mag is just so cool....

Then again, if you can't get it done with a 308 or 30-06 then you need more practice.

Boolit Buddy

Great thread!

Boy, where have I been the past couple years? This has been one of the most enjoyable threads I've read.

Others have already said it, but we have such a wide spectrum of calibers to choose from, many of which overlap others. And we have new calibers coming out every year. For any given use (like whitetail hunting in the eastern half of the US), probably a couple dozen calibers are all equally effective.

Of the common calibers, like the OP mentioned at the outset, I like them all. However, as one who no longer hunts, I'm not inclined to reload any necked cartridge just to punch paper at the range. So, if I had to name a "least favorite", it would be all the necked cartridges--but only because I don't hunt anymore. If I did, I wouldn't mention that whole category.

I am surprised to see so much dislike for the 9mm. Going back to the OP's original comment about calibers and the platforms in which they're used, my love for the 9mm is primarily because of the Browning Hi Power--what an ergonomical miracle. I have too many guns, but, when I look at what I shoot 90+% of the time, it's a BHP and a S&W Model 64 in .38 Spl.

That aside, I don't dislike semi-auto calibers, but I primarily prefer revolvers in traditional revolver calibers. As a reloader, I relish being able to drop those empties exactly where I want them, and no bending over to pick anything up.

I have yet to find a cartridge I have not liked. My least favorite cartridge that I no longer own is the 40SW. Can't find a real reason for its existence other than to say we have a 40 cal in a 9 size pistol. Its not a 9 and not a 10---would that make it an 8!
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
    "For every tree that does not bear fruit is thrown in to the fire"
    Mathew 7:19

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678