MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: whats your least favorite commonly used cartridge?

Boolit Master
    Short magnums ,poor feeding just to have a shorter bolt throw .just to reproduce cartridges we already have.

Boolit Buddy

40 S&W thought it was an unnecessary cartridge until...

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    I own a 40 S&W. It was the first pistol I ever bought. I have no use for it since discovering 1911s. I cant’t even trade it away unless I am willin and to tape a $100 bill to it.
    A dz. years ago I bought a top end complete 96 Berreta for $150 and put it on my 92 Beretta frame to shot major cal. USPSA. Bought a Lee 175 TC 6cavity mold and dies and shot several K per year. Used a gun (92fs 9mm) for IDPA switched top end for USPSA. No transition just alittle more recoil to deal with plus a good reliable platform. Uses 25 to 50 grs. less lead plus small pistol primers. My 45 reloading has since gotten to be a pain with the mixture 0f 45 brass small and large primers and less brass available 45 brass to pick up.The 40 brass has been easy to find for pickup due to alot of police officers shooting and not picking up the brass for reloading. With alot of agencies switching to 9mm this will be slowly changing. Learned to like the 40 and shoot my 45's less. Just my experience. afish4570

Boolit Master
    270 Winchester. I have absolutely no logical reason to dislike it though. I've never had one, I've never even held one. The ballistics on the round itself look to be perfectly well suited for deer, and it's based off one of my favorite cartilages, the 30-06. I just really don't like it for some reason and I don't know why. Oddly enough, I have absolutely no issue with the 280 Remington which is extremely similar to the 270 Win. It's almost an irrational hatred.

I find it funny that it seems to be the most hated cartridge here, lol.
    Last edited by am44mag; 05-02-2019 at 02:25 AM.

I love the 38 Special, but I dislike the 357 Magnum. I love the 44 special, but I dislike the 44 Magnum. I love the 41 magnum. I dislike the 270 Winchester, but I love the 25 ought 6 Remington. No logic rolling around in this cranium LOL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The 6.5 Italian Carcano.

This round has caused more harm and damage to gun owners than can be imagined. And NO, I positively don't believe it was the cartridge that was used to assassinate JFK that day in Dallas,.....but it got the blame, as did the Carcano rifle, and Oswald. Just my view.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

7mm REM Mag, 243Win & .41Mag

My DAD's house was burglarized in 1974. He lost his Remington 700 Left-Hand .30-06 & beloved Custom Weatherby .300 Weatherby Mag on a Left Hand Brevex MAUSER Action.

He went to get a New REM 700 .30-06, couldn't find one any place. It was August so He had to buy NOW. Settled for a Rem 700 in .270, liked it fine.

Looked at new Weatherby Mark 5's. Way too heavy, and expensive. I bought him a Left-Hand REM 700 in 7mmREM Mag, for next Christmas. Took 3 rds to drop an Elk. He didn't think it was worth the recoil.

A .250Sav will do anything a .243 will do, and you got the option of heavier bullets.

The .41mag is a cartridge that has no niche to fill.
    If a .357Mag won't do it, then step up to a .44Mag. Plus you have the option of the. 44spl.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I'm surprised by some of these. Mine are the Creedmoor's.
    6CM=does the same thing that the .243 has been doing for almost 70 years
    6.5CM doesn't do anything the 260 doesnt.

I'd be in the same boat on .223 but it's an excellent varmint gun and I shoot highpower so it's kind of necessary for that.

In a handgun, 40SW. Unless you're shooting uspsa limited division there are better options.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    My vote goes to the .300 BO......have had 2 guns with 3 barrels and no joy, no accuracy, max. loads bring a slight improvement, bad pressure excursions with Lil Gun. I have a potentially accurate rifle right now with custom barrel, Jewel trigger set at 2 oz., but no love and a waste of money in that cal.

Boolit Buddy
    .40 short and weak.
    I have a Glock Model 22 1st gen, one of the first 500 made, SN is 480 or so. Found it at the LGS before I had even seen any articles on it.

Still have some original WW 155 gr Silvertips, when I chrono'ed them they were doing about 1325 fps, lots hotter than current production ammo. Very unpleasant to shoot, I keep them around for defense but I don't shoot them. I have around 500 empty cases but I don't even bother to reload. I'm more of a revolver guy, and there is essentially no resale value on Glock 1st gen so I keep it around as a car/truck gun.

Boolit Master
    Edit: posted in wrong thread

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Surprising how many .223s are mentioned. I guess I would have to agree. I have a .222 if I want to do some economical shooting, however, I have never tried cast boolits with it.

Got to mention .22 magnum. I guess there’s a market for them, but after .22lf I would want to make a bigger step up. Like a .222 or a hornet.

At last any caliber I don’t have dies for. I have a few die sets, that I don’t have rifles for, but no rifles I don’t have dies for.

.380 ACP...too ****ed small for these old arthritic fingers to grip while loading on a Dillon 550B. And don't get me started on those lousy 90 gr FMJ's that slip out of your fingers and hide under the bench!

And....the 2nd place winner is: Small primer .45 ACP for the PITA while trying to keep it separate from REAL .45 ACP.

YMMv, but I don' t care...Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 05-03-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Of the guns I presently own I have only one that I feel my least favorite and used cartridge, the 41mag. I've got a couple and hardly ever shot them. They are like 16g shotguns, not enough bigger than a 20 or smaller than a 12g. I have a good many rifles but really don't keep calibers that I'm not fond of. In rifle catridges there are many that are basically duplications. Many times there is a cartridge developed that is close to perfect and sales take off. Then another company will try to bring out something similar and it flops. Some good cartridges have been dropped but that is a direct relation to sales of both the gun & ammo. Others are made in limited runs. It is irritating to me that they can put out a new cartridge over night but they can't support cartridges like 257, 35r
    250sav ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    .270 Winchester, no use for one.
    I have to agree, The 270 Win. has no real appeal to me for long range deer I use a 25-06 and there are many better choices for elk and bigger animals

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Since discovering the .400 Corbon cartridge, my .45 ACP 5" barrels for my 1911 pistols have been sitting in a drawer on the gun bench. Shooting a little less lead at a bit faster velocity seems to meet my desired goals as I age.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.400_Cor-Bon

That said, I don't like the 40 S&W cartridge at all. I load it for my father-in-law's trips to the range but I have never felt the love for the cartridge as I consider it a bad compromise between the 9x19 and the 45ACP that the .400 Corbon better meets that need which is lighter recoil than the 45ACP but more thump than the 9mm at the terminal end without having to go to the higher pressure 10mm Auto to get the same results.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy
    I like about anything that go's BOOM ! Sept anything with the words "Glock" or Creedmore attached get the . Some calibers are just much lower on the Bucket List.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    I'll nominate the .17HMR,great for starlings and gophers,but in my opinion ,not great for anything bigger. Actually I really like the .22 mag because you don't have to reload them, and they were chambered in some nice rifles, like the Win 9422 and the slick M-61 pump. Great for jack rabbits,coon,fox, and even coyotes. I may have even shot a deer with one. Good rifle for farmers who don't reload or shoot much, and don't want or need the extra power of a .223.

I had to think about this for a while. I have owned at least 200 guns in my life and just about everything you might have ever heard of but I have never owned a 9 mm. I don't really dislike them but for all of the calibers I have owned never a 9 and who doesn't have a 9 mm ?

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    Love em all! But! shot a 7 mag and a 270, with the same bullet over a crongraph, and for a few fps Ill take the 270.

I'll load 9's for the nephews but wouldn't want one.
    Oh, and ee-ooo on the .270.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast