RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: whats your least favorite commonly used cartridge?

Boolit Master

For me, I could do without the entire line of short & fat rifle cartridges. Half an inch of action length and 2-4 ounces in weight. And the weight/size of scopes is ridiculous. What ever happened to the 8 lb Hunting Rifle.

Your boots could be heavier.

Plus I hate any 6.5 except the 6.5X55.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned

I'd have to say .270. Never had a desire for one. Then a Sears Model 50 (FN Mauser action) followed me home as part of a trade deal. I figured why not? The .270 was the only centerfre rifle ammo that never ran out in our Wal Mart during the scare. Shot a little factory ammo, then put it in the closet. Then found a coffee can of .270 cast bullets in my Dad's stuff that an old friend had when Dad closed out his estate many years ago (Dad never had a .270). Well, that wouldn't do, so a set of dies presented themselves and then I started shooting cast in it, then got a mold... Still don't shoot it as much as others, but the point being, all calibers are good, some better than others. The .270 is a weird bore size that won't do anything the .30-06 won't do better and easier, but I like it anyway.

As for handguns, anything besides the .38 Special and .357 are basically a waste of lead, but the .45 Colt is still my favorite and I like the .44s too.

Oh, and I shoot 16 gauge shotguns too. No sense to that one either except I like it.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Without a doubt the 7mm RM is the most over rated over hyped wonder cartridge of all time . I love 7mm , I really do but that one just doesn't do anything for me . I'm not really a fan of the belts anyway but that one just grinds on me for some reason . This is made even more odd because I have a 264 WM and I don't even like the 6.5s . I fact the older , slower and fatter I get the more I like the old , fat , slow cartridges . Maybe I was raised on the 06' and my first rifle was a 7×57 have something to do with that . I always wanted a 280 just to poke at my Dad and his passion for the 25-06 . Guess he fooled me . Now I've come full circle and I'm back to a 7×57 , 06' and a 45-70 in case I need to really lay the smackdown on something really big and unsmack-down-able .

I have a bunch of useless cartridges for where I am and a bunch of equally useless cartridges for where I was . I mean where deer are 400+# on the hoof and 250 yd is an expected normal shot for a lottery draw deer , elk or antelope tag a 30-30 is pretty much a waste of space and metal . On the other hand where a deer is a monster at 300# on the hoof and in the dead of winter you can see a whopping 60 yd through the trees it's very practical .

Hand gun cartridges ........ Well if you have a 9mm , 357 mag and a 45 Colts there isn't a whole lot more to want . Really if you need to poke a lot of holes in something 9mm come readily available with 10-30 rounds down to pocket protection . If you need to poke a deep hole in something or break engine parts the 357 is simply an icon . If you need a big , deep hole and 500+ ftlb or anticipate an angry confrontation with 400+# of rage you load a +P 45 Colts and that problem is solved too . But I have had a 40 it filled that space between lots of holes and big deep holes . But,but,but the 44 mag is ........well of course it is but I'm not big on mags and muzzle blast/flash which is why when I cleaned house the 357 moved into a friend's place .

Is there a reason for anything more than a 3" 12 ga ? Really a skilled user does very well with a 2 3/4" . With loads from 3/4-1 1/2 oz and up to 1 1/8 of steel from 1100-1500 fps and having killed an example of everything probably on the planet , 6 continents anyway . Available in every action type , and available everywhere anybody would have any business being in business as well as being the least expensive to buy in bulk often for less than the cost of parts even if you have the cases , why would you want anything else ?
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    .270 Winchester, no use for one.
    Me too!!!! No use for it at all.

Boolit Master
    Chuckling,
    My Personal Aversion to a Cartridge is for the # inch 50 Caliber Cartridge and Gun that was used to damage my Hearing way back in 1961-1962 on my First Ship of my Active Duty Navy Career.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Chuckling,
    My Personal Aversion to a Cartridge is for the 3 inch 50 Caliber Cartridge and Gun that was used to damage my Hearing way back in 1961-1962 on my First Ship of my Active Duty Navy Career.

Chev. William

Boolit Master

300 BLK.
    I`m not an AR kinda guy.
    I don`t see a need, for me ….dale

Boolit Master
    I am going to preface this with these have a purpose just 5% actually use them for it.
    7mm rem mag
    7mm stw
    7mm wusm
    300 win mag
    300 weatherby mag
    maybe I should just stop and say Magnum are for >300 yard shooting , if you never expect to shoot farther than 200 why , just why.
    then to go on and pontificate about how your uber ultra **** mag is so awesome when you can't hit better than 7moa at 100 yards with it.
    so I guess we know how I feel about magnums.

basically the same about magnum pistol cartridges above 44mag they serve a purpose but again 5% use them for it the rest stoke their ego with it.

25acp just because it is so anemic

thats about it.

I am that guy who likes 300 blackout , but what i like about it is that I run it in a 16 inch AR pistol in a township that prohibits rifle use but allows shotgun and pistol and that my dad built one just like mine and has him shooting deer again with all the back, neck and shoulder surgeries he has had.

I also have had the 300 out to 420 yards it's kind fun on steel , but I wouldn't use it on game past 150 even though it holds MOA at 200 just fine.
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

I always recommend the .270 for folks who don't reload. Like Rich said, it was the only rifle ammo on the shelves during the last panic. I don't care for it myself but I've had a couple.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    300 Blackout
    Yup. I fail to see the allure of 300BO. Actually, easier to say what I like and/or want.
    Love my 30-30. It's versatile and fairly cheap to feed. Especially with cast lead & pistol powder.
    Want a .308 to fill the Big game and/or long range niche.
    Also want a 45 long colt carbine, because i want a pistol caliber carbine. Load up a huge 45 caliber bullet subsonic and show 300 BO how it's done.
    .22 LR is a great training, plicking or small game round.
    Last edited by Knightflyer; 03-26-2019 at 02:03 AM.
    Knightflyer - Pesky newbie with a 30-30 & a zillion questions
    "And what I want to say is this, that I'm the King's man; and if this Parliament of Owls is any sort of plot against the King, I'm having nothing to do with it." - C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair
    Shalom y'all!

Least fave, 9mm.

.32ACP is more fun if you find an old one with 6" barrel.

The only thing wrong with .270 is not being rimmed, about an inch and a half long and a good selection of molds.

Banned

ME TOO! Cant stand Jack OConnor either. tweed jacket blow hole. I can see lack of love for the 556 on a cast bullet fourm but come on guys whats more fun then an 300bo ar that can be shot for the price of 15 grains of powder and a primer. Only thing that's will put a smile on your face cheaper is a 9mm ar15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    .270 Winchester, no use for one.

Boolit Master
    Some of us find ARs clumsy and uninteresting, the 300BO then falls into a void between 32-20 and 30-30. To each their own, but I like rims.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Some of us find ARs clumsy and uninteresting, the 300BO then falls into a void between 32-20 and 30-30. To each their own, but I like rims.
    + 1. I feel the same.

Jedman

I must be a cartridge hoarder then... I find them all interesting... of course I reload close to 90 different cartridges ( I stopped counting around 75, several years ago )... IMO, part of the problem with these cartridges, is the package that shoots them... for example 25 ACP gets much more interesting in a full sized revolver, & with a cast bullet...

... & cartridges like the 5-Seven, out of the FN are nightmare to reload, blowing the shoulder forward an 1/8" in the blowback auto... but is pretty cool in a Contender...

hmmm... maybe for me, it would be a 50 Beowulf, because of the severely rebated rim, brass life can suffer... but the 50 AE cases seem to hold up...

reloading all these cartridges is like "rocket science, for the common man" I guess I like them all...

Moderator Emeritus

Interesting no love for the 7 Rem mag. I see it on a cast forum. Those around me that hunt big bull Elk have gone almost exclusively to it or the 338/378 Weatherby. Their MO is to shoot the heaviest bullets available, range finders, ballistic compensator scopes and bipods. They scout where the herds are, set up 600-800 yards or more away from where the elk will exit the timber and wait. Usually the bulls leave cover 10 minutes before legal shooting light. It isn't my type of hunting but they tend to be very successful doing it. For many it is getting to be the only way to access a public land bull, as if you were closer they wouldn't come out before dark.
    I believe almost any cartridge is useful and almost anything out there has been duplicated multiple times.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    My two cents worth(and remember what you paid for it)...
    I have no use for .25ACP, never understood the rationale.
    Not a big fan of 9mm... I have two, a WWII German Luger bring back. I only have it because of it being an historical military piece.
    Shoot it once or twice a year.
    Also have one of those Egyptian Helwan Brigadier 9mm. I bought it from my son in law for $50 because he wanted it out if his house.
    I think I shot it a couple of times over the last ten years or so. Just not a fan.
    I regularly shoot my son's 9mm carry handguns but never felt the need to buy one for myself. I will stick with my .45ACPs in 1911s.
    I do have a 9mm barrel that my son bought me for my S&W M&P in .40 that I bought to find out what all the fuss about polymer pistols was. Again... don't shoot it very often with the 9mm barrel.
    As for rifles... I don't have any need for anything more powerful than my .30/06 and 7mm Magnum. I am not likely to hunt anything bigger than black bear and whitetails so I see no reason for me to get any of the larger calibers.

Banned

personaly I think its a great round. If I was just an elk and moose hunter I could easily live with just a 7 mag. Like you eluded to its a matter of different animals and different styles of hunting. someone antelope hunting with a 300 wby might be called a knuckle dragger by the guy out there with his 243. But then next month that 300 wby might be called on to shoot a griz or moose and id sure hope that 243 guy stays home. Bottom line is theres no such thing as to dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Interesting no love for the 7 Rem mag. I see it on a cast forum. Those around me that hunt big bull Elk have gone almost exclusively to it or the 338/378 Weatherby. Their MO is to shoot the heaviest bullets available, range finders, ballistic compensator scopes and bipods. They scout where the herds are, set up 600-800 yards or more away from where the elk will exit the timber and wait. Usually the bulls leave cover 10 minutes before legal shooting light. It isn't my type of hunting but they tend to be very successful doing it. For many it is getting to be the only way to access a public land bull, as if you were closer they wouldn't come out before dark.
    I believe almost any cartridge is useful and almost anything out there has been duplicated multiple times.

Banned

Me I like shoot ANY gun. that said when I go to the range just to have fun there isn't much more fun then an ar. I know for sure if I take a grandkid along grandpas getting chewed out if he doesn't have an Ar of some kind and a coffee can full of ammo for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post

Boolit Master
    I honestly can't think of a cartridge that I hate. Sure have my favorites but I'm always game for something new or old. Out of all the common rounds, I've never owned a 243. But if I found a good deal on a nice rifle in 243, I'd be ordering reloading dies the next day. I guess I just love to shoot and especially reload most anything.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast