MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: whats your least favorite commonly used cartridge?

Boolit Master

And despite me not liking the 9mm in regards to reloading and load development, I just ordered another pistol in it. Hard to argue the overwhelming ballistics results and defensive shooting studies that show it on par with the .40 S&W and .45 acp for results. Plus, the P365 I ordered will hold 12 rounds in what is essentially a pocket pistol for me.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

22mag rimfire
    44mag

you can have them both...GOOD RIDDANCE !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps4590 View Post
    Except for the 9mm and 8 X 57, none are actually original, first designs. They all borrow a lot from some preceding cartridge
    Actually 9mm Luger was not, to use your nomenclature, an "original, first design", it was created by necking up the 30 Luger to remove the bottleneck.

Boolit Bub
    9mm, but I shoot it a lot because it is cheap

Boolit Master

It seems that I have tried most of the calibers that people don't like and I need to agree with most of them. Some of them are only inspiring in a single type of rifle or handgun and if those weapons were not available, as far as I'm concerned, the caliber would not have any value at all. For instance the .300 Blackout and the AR platform. I like to shoot .30 caliber cast bullets in my AR thus the .300 Blackout is just fun to shoot other than that I don't think it has much use.

Ken

30 Carbine in my Blackhawk.

Boolit Master
    9mm, .40 S&W, .223, 7.62x39.

Conventional, whitebread, boring, blah.

The shooters of these cartridges leave their empties until the firing line on our range looks like the opening scene in the movie Lord of War. One day I’m going to slip on them and break my silly neck.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    this thread certainly shows how different our preferences are! I suspect the dislike of the 270 is from the fact that it was portrayed to be the one and only just perfect everything else stinks, big game round. I personally have never had one and don't see that it is any different than 15 or 20 other cartridges from a practical standpoint. Any time you picked up an outdoor life or fs etc, in the 70s you were told if you don’t have a 270 you have a second class rifle. Folk get tire of that. Anything that needs that kind of constant hype becomes uninteresting. Glock comes to mind..and 1911s,( that should po 95% of the readers) .
    Anyway i am glad we got lots of choices, cause we all are wired differently. I find a gun i like, then deal with whatever it’s chambered for. I rarely even notice bolts or autos so will be unlikely to ever own a 270.
    bingo!
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    9mm, .40 S&W, .223, 7.62x39.

Conventional, whitebread, boring, blah.
    LOL

But, I consider ALL cartridges 'Conventional, whitebread, boring, blah.'

It is the weapon used to fire them that is interesting to me. A 'blah' weapon, like a standard AR is one of the most boring things around. But, put a superb upper, trigger group and scope in it and it becomes interesting, even in .223.

And, no, hunting has no interest to me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    .270 Winchester, no use for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I'd have to agree with Randy, .270 Win
    Of the cartridges I have owned and shot, I agree with Randy and Sparky; 270

I had a Ruger M77 years ago(tang safety) that was very accurate, but just did nothing for me. At that time, I wasn't reloading, and there was only 2 choices in bullet weight. Just didn't offer enough selection. I've held a grudge ever since.
    9 MM Luger is a close second. I just does not warm my heart.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

hp drifter- do you still have "W"- the .270? Inside joke!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I would like 22-250 a lot better than I do now IF they would have sped up the twist rate a hair.I guess that a lot depends on were you live,but a 1-9 223 fills my need just fine.

Boolit Master
    everything lives in the cabinet now, except 2, my brno 375H&H lives upstairs (in case moose or elk shows up in the field at the back) and my #1Ruger 45-70 downstairs kitchen (because the darn bears wont stay off the deck) when swmbo makes breakfast with the patio doors open on nice days in the spring. All the others are just for making me look like a hunter when visitors are in.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    30 Carbine in my Blackhawk.
    I've often wondered about that one. Seems like a strange pistol caliber to me in a Blackhawk. Anyone have the story as to why Bill just had to offer this one?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by edp2k View Post
    Actually 9mm Luger was not, to use your nomenclature, an "original, first design", it was created by necking up the 30 Luger to remove the bottleneck.
    Which was derived from the 7.65 x 25mm Borchardt. It has always interested me how many "new" rounds build on the steps of ones already created no matter how obscure or long ago.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    yes. I know you wanted the mauser and I could live with the 270 or at least try to sell it, which I haven't tried to do yet.

I had speculated and planned all kinds of things with the mauser, but knew I'd never do it. Might as well go to someone that would.

Sorry TbG, I didn't quote but this post is for you.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I've often wondered about that one. Seems like a strange pistol caliber to me in a Blackhawk. Anyone have the story as to why Bill just had to offer this one?
    Well, i dont know about Bills motive, but the one I owned was the most accurate pistol I ever owned! Lots of fun to shoot, made 1 to 1.5" groups all day long at 50 yds with 31108 or 311316 over a healthy dose of 4227. It can be loaded down to 32 long leves and was still remarkably accurate. Cheap on powder and lead too. practical uses other than plinking and small game? Nah, but it was SO much fun hitting small targets a long way off. Unfortunately, some lowlife stole it from my Bronco after smashing the vent window out in St Josephs MO. Such is life.

Banned

6.5 Creedmoor!!!

Banned

My Dad loved the .30 Carbine Blackhawks for some reason. He never owned or cared for the M1 Carbine, which I've always been fond of.

I just don't understand a pistol that big in a caliber that small, but I ended up with one and a lot of cases and cast bullets for it, so it'll get shot a lot eventually.

Boolit Master

.44 mag and .270 for me. Had both and sold both. In my contender, I can load .45 Colts to .44 mag velocities and the blackhawk to nearly the same, so why do I want a .44 mag? And the .30 - 06 works just fine for me as does the 8MM Mauser and 7.62x54R. More versitle than the .270 in my opinion.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast