Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: whats your least favorite commonly used cartridge?

25 ACP ! Jedman

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    7mm Remington Mag is easily my least favorite. Nasty recoil (for a 7mm), guzzles powder, short case life, and won't do a darn thing that a .30'06 or .280 can't do. Around here at least, it was for a long time the go-to cartridge for once a year hunters who just had to have something with the word "magnum" in it. Don't now how many times I heard it explained that the belted case adds strength to contain all that magnum power.

Runner up: .40 S&W in the form of most factory ammo. I think most loads are close to overpressure, and repeated chambering will redline it pretty quickly. In a gun with a heavy slide and lightweight grip such as Glock, each shot fired feels like the gun is trying to jump out of my hand. Remember, the .40 was created by the perceived need to improve on the "wimpy" 9mm, and it will always be overshadowed by the 10mm. So, ammo makers and their customers just aren't going to be interested in easing back on it.

Now, the .40 is a sweet cartridge when loaded to a more sane level. I load mine with 4.3 grains Bullseye/Lee 401-175-TC for a very accurate and easy to shoot 900 fps out of my Glock 22. A chunk of lead that size doesn't need much pressure or velocity to be effective, it's like having a 15 shot .38-40!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I hate any caliber I don't have.

Boolit Bub
    I'll play!

.357 Sig - Not super common, but most know of it. It is a .40S&W case necked down to 9mm. The recoil is even snappier than a .40S&W. That doesn't mean I don't have a couple though!

As for rifle, I'll agree with the .270 Winchester; not as versatile as a .30-06 and even less efficient. I'll add the .25-06; lots of powder burned for not as much return. Basically, any of the super/ultra magnums.

.380 ACP. It just has never impressed me with accuracy like it’s older brother the .32ACP has.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedman View Post
    25 ACP ! Jedman
    I’ll second that! For some reason I find 25acp synonymous with raven or Jimenez. Don’t much care for .40 I’d rather have a 9 or a 45
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

For me its 9mm in a Handgun and 270 in a rifle.

Nothing “wrong” with either of them. The first I prefer my defensive calibers start with a 4 and the 270 is just a odd duck to me. Never had as other calibers do same job for me. Someone with a 270 could say the same. Its a saturated field where it operates.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy

not a big fan of the 5.56/223 its not fun to reload and its so common, 40 cal is next I have one load for one cast for one and it just do anything for me.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master
    My least favorite is the .429 magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Well, .270 Win (with cast boolits of coarse, and no where near max velocity or pressured) is my baby. 30-06 and .308 are me least favorite. Not because they arent effective, but because everyone constantly boast about them. Pluss a few hunting stories involving 308 and 30-06. I will spare you all the rant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crash87 View Post
    30-06 Springfield!! Boring! Mundane! My 280 Remington is my 30-06.
    Crash87
    I agree. The 30-06 does a lot of stuff ok but excels at NOTHING. My 30-06 is a 270WIN

.45 Colt
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I was very surprised the 270 was mentioned .

Boolit Master
    4 come to mind. The 40 Short and Wimpy, might as well have a 45acp. The 300BO. any 30cal can be loaded to do the same thing. The 22mag, it's cheaper to shoot a 22H and you get more everything. And last the 9mm, most aren't very accurate and that comes with a high pressure loud bang. Might as well have a 45acp. The 40 S&W is my least favorite.

I also was surprised to see the 270win listed. It is surrounded by many other fine rounds and performs as well as the rest. I have dropped several moose with a 270 and 150 gr Speer btsp. It is very effective.

Boolit Man
    Least favorite? The ol’ Aught Six, fellow tried to give me one several years back. My response was, “Why? Most overrated cartridge out there. I have a 270 Win.”
    A bumble bee is considerable faster than a John Deere tractor

Boolit Master
    UPDATE: well were over 50 votes in and I'm not noticing much pattern in peoples votes.

some people have a good point on 22mag being expensive for a non reloadable cartridge. just comparing value 9mm is significantly more materials, reloadable, and cost the same.

otherwise people seem to like the one they have ie. if you always had a 30-06 you think 270 is pointless and vice versa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I was very surprised the 270 was mentioned .
    Kind of hurt it was mentioned so many times. ***pats the .270*** and tells her she is perfect.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    UPDATE: well were over 50 votes in and I'm not noticing much pattern in peoples votes.

some people have a good point on 22mag being expensive for a non reloadable cartridge. just comparing value 9mm is significantly more materials, reloadable, and cost the same.

otherwise people seem to like the one they have ie. if you always had a 30-06 you think 270 is pointless and vice versa.
    Yep...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy
    .357 mag (the cartridge).

A lot of muzzle blast for not much more power in a short barrel—For the same size handgun I can have a 9mm or .40 that holds more rounds and reloads faster. I feel confident my G27 or G23 can handle any situation I might face that a .357 could.

If I want significantly more power I go up to .44 mag. I like a .38 or .357 revolver shooting .38 light loads for new shooters. Other folks may like the .357 as the ideal cartridge, it just doesn’t do anything I need.

Boolit Buddy
    .308 and 30-06. They're just uninspiring, I still load for the former because I have a large amount of high quality brass for it, and the surplus is cheap and good quality. Othe than that it's a solid "meh", nothing at all wrong with them just mind numbingly boring. Actually toss all .30 cal rifle cartridges into there.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast