Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading PBcastco
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This was how it was in the USA in the 50's

Thanks Wally

Boolit Master
    The draft wasn’t universal in the 50’s. After WW2 the military shrank so much that they had to reinstate the draft to gear up for Korea. After it wound down the military didn’t have room for everybody even if they had wanted to mandate it. One of my uncles was born in 1936 and neither went to college nor joined the military.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Moderator Emeritus

Born 1960 so I grew up through a large part of this... I remember my dad beating the **** out of an uncle on moms side after he touched one of my sisters... messed him up bad and when he got out of the hospital he disappeared... if anyone asked where he went they got told to shut up...

I liked government cheese! It was made in the town I lived in and stored in a cold warehouse my mom worked for. If a case was dropped and broke open they had to write it off. If the cheese box inside the case was undamaged employees took them home. We had that stuff in the fridge all the time!

I miss full service gas, heck the station in town is now unmanned and totally automated!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Born 1960 so I grew up through a large part of this... I remember my dad beating the **** out of an uncle on moms side after he touched one of my sisters... messed him up bad and when he got out of the hospital he disappeared... if anyone asked where he went they got told to shut up...

I liked government cheese! It was made in the town I lived in and stored in a cold warehouse my mom worked for. If a case was dropped and broke open they had to write it off. If the cheese box inside the case was undamaged employees took them home. We had that stuff in the fridge all the time!

I miss full service gas, heck the station in town is now unmanned and totally automated!
    There was a guy in our county that signed his entire extended family up for the commodity handouts and he sold the cheese for $5 a brick. My dad usually bought a couple of bricks a month for us. It made the best grilled cheese sandwiches ever. I remember mom bought a cheese slicer and we used it so much I had to repair the cutting wire with a guitar string.
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Grand Master

It was better cheese than what was at the grocery.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Gas, sugar, tires, nylons, housing all rationed. String and Al foil balls you trade in for ratio cards. Mom stitched up the holes in the knees of the jeans - it was NOT a badge of wealth then. She made your clothes and often hers. You had an amour or a narrow and shallow closet as you didn't have a lot of clothes. Heating was coal or oil, eventually propane or gas. You made what you had work and last - no throw a-ways.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

"Health insurance became popular in the 30's and post WW2 it was a commonly negotiated item in union contracts because unlike wages insurance wasn't subject to any income tax. So it was a tax free form of compensation. https://www.bcbsm.com/index/about-us...r-history.html"

Health insurance as compensation grew phenomenally during a period when wages were controlled and employers were desperate for more help-think WWII. This is one discrepancy that makes me leery of the whole article. I realize that everyone does not have the same experience-who can speak for a whole country across a decade in time? I smell an agenda on the part of the writer, I am just not sure of what it is.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    The draft wasn’t universal in the 50’s. After WW2 the military shrank so much that they had to reinstate the draft to gear up for Korea. After it wound down the military didn’t have room for everybody even if they had wanted to mandate it. One of my uncles was born in 1936 and neither went to college nor joined the military.
    This is another disconnect from fact. However, the percentage of the male population with military experience was much greater then.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    there was not a lawyer on every corner wanting to sue if you got a paper cut. another thing if you did cut or smash your finger you wrapped it up in a paper towel and hopped no one saw how stupid you were, not look for a lawyer to sue.

Boolit Buddy
    Far to young to remember the 50s, that was when Dad was a kid. Me, I’ll take the 80s, and not the neon 80s, no, give me the feathered hair, old pick ups, weekends at the lake 80s.

Boolit Grand Master

I was born in the late 50's and I remember some of this. Mom stayed at home, raised the kids, cooked and kept house. Families only had 1 car. You didn't lock your houses or your car. Houses didn't have air conditioning. Doctors, Teachers and Policemen were respected. This was in the South. I'm probably forgetting a few things.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I was born in the late 50's.
    I remember some of these things.
    On this rock, we didn't have many of them, and still have many of them today.
    Everything started to go down hill when Americans no longer understood "Shame"
    When we forgot what "Honor" is.
    How many people, today, even know what "bastard" really means.
    They know it's bad, but don't know why.
    Country has lost it's morals.
    It's sad.
    Quoted for truth...

I think 99% of the problems we face today can be traced back to most Americans turning their backs on God. We've had three or so generations of Americans being told that they are special and more important than their fellow man. We have become a nation of selfish, ignorant, lazy, self-entitled snowflakes who value leisure and pleasure above all else.

It truly is sad.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Quoted for truth...

I think 99% of the problems we face today can be traced back to most Americans turning their backs on God. We've had three or so generations of Americans being told that they are special and more important than their fellow man. We have become a nation of selfish, ignorant, lazy, self-entitled snowflakes who value leisure and pleasure above all else.

It truly is sad.
    It would be hard to come up with an argument against your eloquent statement. Sadly many highly educated lost their faith. When a society loses faith they also lose morality. We have a crop of millennial's that don't want to get married, have children, & want to own a house. I have queried my nieces and nephews; they prefer to hang with friends and have an extended college dorm type of a life. None want a house, as they feel it requires too much upkeep and maintenance. The gals want a career; children would be too much to handle. The guys don't want to marry----their mindset is that the gals are too self-centered and most likely will just lead to a divorce. Most married couples with kids become religious again; it is a natural instinct.

Boolit Buddy
    Being born in 1942, on a farm in western Kansas,I remember all of that. We used coal oil for everything, light, cooking, heat and to treat minor wounds. On the farm we ate wild game, pheasants or ducks or rabbits year around. Dad never owned a hunting license and the only gun was a single shot shotgun. Kansas was "dry" but Dad had a 25 gallon stone crock in the cellar and we always had company stop by in the summer. The couple of times a year that our county road got bladed, the operator would also blade our half mile lane from the road to our house because he knew "Old Pat" had beer in the cellar.
    I miss a lot of that, not the old out house though!

Same here. Born in '42. Grew up in the 50's. Graduated H.S. in 1960. I think the article is pretty accurate.

The people didn't live as long is bogus. Avg lifespan maybe a couple years different then. You worked hard and safe as if injured, out of luck. You inherited the family home/farm or payed rent. Houses were not cheap then, 1000 sq ft was a large one. Economy was pretty stalled until after WWII, then housing was a big industry. By 1900, most larger cities had piped water, sewers and 'indoor' plumbing. Cisterns and septic tanks for rural areas.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I looked it up from actual statistics.. http://www.demog.berkeley.edu/~andrew/1918/figure2.html

67 years for males and 73 for females...

Boolit Master
    Cheap guns! you sure! I was born in 1939, according to S-S records started paying S-S in 1953 got married in 1960 and made 40.75 AN HOUR now figure how many Super Blackhaks you can buy. House rent was $55 a mo. car payment $35 then you had to eat and pay utilities no $$ left for guns. Then kids were born you have to feed and clothes them. Guns didn't come till much later. Doctor visits came out of your pocket, or you didn't go You went to work even if you didn't feel good as there was always someone willing to take the job. Good old days were rough in my experience yours may be different but I don't have to work now cause I worked then.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master
    And you live in Texas....how can anyone ask for more than that! Stop and think..what if you lived in Illinois, New York or California (God forbid)?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    "Health insurance became popular in the 30's and post WW2 it was a commonly negotiated item in union contracts because unlike wages insurance wasn't subject to any income tax. So it was a tax free form of compensation. https://www.bcbsm.com/index/about-us...r-history.html"

Health insurance as compensation grew phenomenally during a period when wages were controlled and employers were desperate for more help-think WWII. This is one discrepancy that makes me leery of the whole article. I realize that everyone does not have the same experience-who can speak for a whole country across a decade in time? I smell an agenda on the part of the writer, I am just not sure of what it is.
    Health insurance was much cheaper in previous decades, even as far back as the late 1980's. When I was self-employed in 1987-1989 I purchased Blue Cross thru my car insurance agent for the grand sum for $25/month...but that was because what I was buying was health insurance, not health care. It was a major medical policy that basically only kicked in if you had a bad disease or accident. It didn't pay for routine visits or transgender surgery or all the stuff people expect it to cover today. When people say insurance has become unaffordable that's because it really isn't even the same thing as it used to be.

Oddly enough, my car insurance doesn't cover oil changes or tires.
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast