Views:	22 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	237823
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DDE47219-1490-44A6-AA22-211EE194A827.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	237824

Picked this up a few weeks ago because I thought it was neat and I wanted to study it. Looks to be in decent shape, though it does have some pitting in places. Mould looks like it will throw a decent bullet. marked 32-40M, the chamber is marked 32.

Anyone have any interest in these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by Maine1; 03-12-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do. I've never functioned one but it looks neat. Are you interested in selling? I don't know what they go for.

Boolit Grand Master
    While well worn, it looks like you have what might be a good working example of the original type Ideal tool... the bullet mould is probably pretty close to the Ideal 319247 which was standard for the cartridge and weighed about 165 grains. In order to actually reload a round with that unit, you will need to find or recreate the decapping spud (which was frequently lost ) then just clean it up, cast some bullets and gather up the other components. You should be good to go.

Froggie

PS. as for price, with that condition and as a user, the price won’t be as high as you see higher grade examples commanding. Check out eBay or other auction sites for comparables.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    No original finish left, but a good working example of the type. The mould hasn’t been sawed off, drilled out or used as a pair of pliers, so the tool still retains its value as a loading tool. Not rare enough or original enough to make it a “collectible,” but certainly good enough condition for a “curio” for the accumulator or occasional user.

I’ve seen them go in that condition for $35 to $75 at gun shows, and not go at higher prices. Auction sites might go higher, but I don’t do auction sites.

Yours has the “single adjustable chamber,” which allows you to seat the standard boolit (from the mould) to different depths in the shell.

Great excuse to buy a .32-40 rifle!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    No original finish left, but a good working example of the type. The mould hasn’t been sawed off, drilled out or used as a pair of pliers, so the tool still retains its value as a loading tool. Not rare enough or original enough to make it a “collectible,” but certainly good enough condition for a “curio” for the accumulator or occasional user.

I’ve seen them go in that condition for $35 to $75 at gun shows, and not go at higher prices. Auction sites might go higher, but I don’t do auction sites.

Yours has the “single adjustable chamber,” which allows you to seat the standard boolit (from the mould) to different depths in the shell.

Great excuse to buy a .32-40 rifle!
    Thanks for noting the extra feature of a single adjustable die... of course this is a seating die, but with the decapping spud, it was all you needed. The good news is that you could also get a set of 32-40 dies to make all kinds of adjustments as you desire. Although the bullet mould wouldn't be usable, this tool could also be used with any of the 32-40 "family" of cases... 25-20, 30-30, 32 Spl and 38-55, along with a couple of 22 varmint cartridges. You would just need to get the proper dies for a 310 tool. It is definitely a useful option for doing actual reloading.

Froggie

Boolit Buddy

Froggie,
    I was wondering about that, as the 30-30 was not far off when I was fooling with it.
    Originally, I got it as it was a good example of the old style tools, but if I can make it work with 310 dies and use it for 30-30...that would be pretty cool in itself!
    I'll have to see if the dies I have thread into it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maine1 View Post
    Froggie,
    I was wondering about that, as the 30-30 was not far off when I was fooling with it.
    Originally, I got it as it was a good example of the old style tools, but if I can make it work with 310 dies and use it for 30-30...that would be pretty cool in itself!
    I'll have to see if the dies I have thread into it.
    They will!

Boolit Grand Master
    What Magnet Man said! I can just about guarantee that if you ignore the bullet mould you can use the handles just as though they were modern handles with the adaptor for 30-30 etc locked in place. Just as a suggestion, if I were using a modern die set I would still use the hole and peg provided on the tool itself for priming. This function is pretty self explanatory. This will keep from beating up the nubs on the opposite side of the frame as I have seen so many times.

Froggie

Boolit Buddy

Used this tool last night to load up 18 rounds of 30-30. would have been 20 but I nech sized two cases too much, the dies were adjusted for my alloy tool.
    Some of my dies do not screw in quite as much as they should, but I did not force it to avoid messing up the threads.

The mold makes it a bit less wieldy than a 310 tool sans mold.

The priming system- a hole in one handle, stud on the other, is easier for me to use than that of the regular 310 tool, seems I fumbled less. And I can prime with the seating die installed, ready for the next step.

I'll touch off a few and see how they work.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one each for .38-40 and .44-40. The mold on the .38-40 isn't in the best shape, and casts bullets with flanges. I haven't tried the .44-40 mold.

In Remembrance
    I have a few of the Ideal and Winchester loading tools. The only one I have used is the 44-40 Winchester, both the mold and reloading tool. I made my own de-priming pin and have cast boolits and loaded several cases. Repro de-priming pins are available, eBay being one place to look.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM