CZ Shadow 2 on right.

Tip - Sig's blaming the ammo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	barrels.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	237817

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Oh my. I'm genuinely shocked they dont want that thing on a first class ticket back to Exeter.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Sig USED to be a good name. But they wanted to make bargain guns, somehow Glock, S&W etc can make a usable $500 gun. But Sig can't. Stopped at a local shop, owner asks if I knew what was up w a brand new super wombat target Sig 320. Dangerous to fire as it barely locked closed, if at all.

Funny as Sig now farms out stuff like magazines, but still charges as if made in Austria by Sig.

Boolit Master
    Not enough info...........need specifics on ammo. Factory or reloads? Cast or Jacketed? Same ammo for plunk test in all three barrels?

Without specifics my guess is a short throat.

BTW, I have a Sig 320 RX Compact as well as five other brands of nines. All my reloads pass the plunk test, in every one of them.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Those rounds plunk fine in all barrels. It's just not as supported in the Sig as it is in the others. The throat is way longer in the sig than the shadow barrel on the right.

Those are reloads, factory stuff looks the same.

Pretty big bevel around the chamber for some reason. It fills out nicely when 1/20 cases bulge. Haven't blown one yet but it has to be coming soon.

Trying to organise a barsto barrel for it but living in Australia makes it hard. They tell me it is more supported and the issues go away.

Name:	bulges.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	237840

Boolit Grand Master
    Stop shooting that thing and get it resolved ASAP.

Exactly. Don't shoot another round. It appears to be slam firing and since it's not an Uzi- you have a big problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Does it do that with a sized case and no projectile seated?

ALL of my SIGS, 9mm,40,357, & 45 had to be throated to accept anything other then factory FMJ ammo. Until I did that, NONE of them would pass the plunk test with my cast bullet loads. In fact, about half the time the gun would not return fully to battery because the bullet was hitting the rifling and the slide would need to be pressed against the bench to retract it since the bullet was stuck into the rifling so hard. There was NO throat in any of them. Throated them and they run great.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Buddy
    The cases with no projectiles seat the same.

The throat is super long in this. This thing accepts old 1911 dummy rounds I have lying around that are 1.160. They wont go close to seating properly in my shadow 2 barrel.

Sig barrels are on backorder. Barsto's could take months to get here. No warranty help.

My worst purchase ever.

Boolit Buddy
    Send that picture of brass to sig and ask them if it supposed to look like that. They will fix it then

Boolit Buddy
    I have already.

They aren't interested. I'm in Australia so it's easy for SIG USA to tell me to go pound sand.

They told me to contact my local distributor. I did and they told me the 12 month warranty is over so too bad.

My fault for buying 2nd hand I guess.

I'd be less bitter about it if I could go buy a new barrel but they are backordered with SIG USA for god knows how long. No other option available at the moment.

This is the last sig I'll buy.

It looks like it was short chambered and they left the the barrel hood long to match.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master
    If the end of the cartridge does not project beyond the barrel hood I am at somewhat of a loss as to how this one can occurr. I am sorry to say I his is a new one on me. It is as if part of the breech end of the chamber was removed in putting an extra long tapered entrance in place.

Weird.

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, my thoughts too 35remington.

If there was meat there it wouldn't bulge.

No idea why they have done this. I doubt the bevel around the entire chamber would help feeding.

Any idea if this could be welded up and recut?

Boolit Grand Master
    Dan--Let me make sure I understand you correctly--both SIG Arms AND Bar-Sto barrels for the P-320 X5 are back-ordered? I am sorry if this is the case. Perhaps with both makers in this condition, it says volumes about the problems with this variant's chambers.

I have noticed that the more "vigorous" loadings in the Glock 20 and 29 (10mm) tend to "guppy" the brass a bit--much like 2nd Generation Glock 40 S&W OEM chambers did. I have shut both pistols down until I receive aftermarket barrels for both pistols that fully support the case head area. Kind of a PITA, but I don't want a kB with a 10mm. Poor form, that.

I have SIG-Sauer P-220 x 45 ACP and P-226 & P-228 in 9mm. None have hiccuped on any jacketed or cast bullet I have run through them. Their throating is quite short, but it's there. Seating the Lee TC bullets with .020" of front drive band exposed above the case mouth gives reliable feeding and unfettered extraction of live rounds. Only a light taper crimp is applied as a finishing touch after the bullet is fully seated.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 03-13-2019 at 08:36 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    Sig Arms is backordered.

I am trying to organise a barsto. They are made to order but getting one in Australia is tricky. I haven't heard back from the guy who I think is a distributor. I can't just buy one and have it sent over due to your export laws.

My correspondence with barsto suggests they are aware that this is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post
    Sig Arms is backordered.

I am trying to organise a barsto. They are made to order but getting one in Australia is tricky. I haven't heard back from the guy who I think is a distributor. I can't just buy one and have it sent over due to your export laws.

My correspondence with barsto suggests they are aware that this is a problem.
    Send it as "High pressure steel tubing"
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dansedgli View Post

......Pretty big bevel around the chamber for some reason. It fills out nicely when 1/20 cases bulge. Haven't blown one yet but it has to be coming soon.....

Name:	bulges.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	237840
    If 1 out of 20 look like that, what do the other 19 look like?

Granted what we are calling an unsupported chamber here isn't helping anything, but with same hardness brass, the outcome should be the same all the time. Not just 1/20.

What does it look like when you put one of the bulged cases back in the barrel? Is the base flush with the hood?

How easily does it unlock from battery? How far back can you pull the slide and get the hammer to drop?
    Last edited by slughammer; 03-14-2019 at 01:13 AM.
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Buddy
    Other brass isn't as bad.

Bulged a little but probably resizable. The main culprit is PPU brass and 1 other type I don't recognise. It must be thinner. Lucky it is strong enough to contain the explosion.

It's not firing out of battery. The striker stops firing when the barrel hood and breachface part ways. There is quite a lot of movement in the slide before the barrel unlocks.

What does it look like when you put one of the bulged cases back in the barrel? Is the base flush with the hood?
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast